M10M Lightroom auto adjustment

NRKstudio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi does anyone else experience automatic adjustment of Lightroom’s exposure adjustment graph with m10M pics?  I see it with shading off and on. 

if you click on exposure, then goto the graph where you can adjust individual colors, or all colors, or light, on a graph, you will see it’s been adjusted to add contrast.  the blacks are brought darker and lights lighter automatically. 

how do you turn this off on DNG’s?  

Are you referring to the tone curve?  Because Adobe’s profile automatically adjusts it.  Change your camera profile to use the Leica profile embedded in the DNG file or create your own develop preset that has the curve as you want it.  

Yes, tone curve is the correct terminology.  My SL2 and m10p did not automatically effect the tone curve though, when the respective camera profile was selected.  The SL2 even automatically bakes in software correction to its DNG files, which can’t be changed with LR, though the tone curve isn’t effected. 

Are you saying with LR you can select “unknown” Camera or altogether stop the changes to the tone curve automatically? 
thanks! 

You can create your own custom profile(s) and presets, including tone curve adjustments, and also apply presets upon import if desired.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html#import_using_presets

I believe that LR 9.2 added support for the M10 Monochrom and incorporated an adjustment to the contrast curve.  My guess is that this was in response to complaints about ‘flat’ files out of camera, which to me is a good thing resulting from high dynamic range.  I think some Monochrom users lack darkroom experience and how to achieve similar effects in the digital world.  Shame, as it limits the infinite possibilities for b/w rendering.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

You can create your own custom profile(s) and presets, including tone curve adjustments, and also apply presets upon import if desired.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html#import_using_presets

I believe that LR 9.2 added support for the M10 Monochrom and incorporated an adjustment to the contrast curve.  My guess is that this was in response to complaints about ‘flat’ files out of camera, which to me is a good thing resulting from high dynamic range.  I think some Monochrom users lack darkroom experience and how to achieve similar effects in the digital world.  Shame, as it limits the infinite possibilities for b/w rendering.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I see this method to create new presets (LR Classic makes it very difficult to create a profile in LR CC Classic, you have to use Camera Raw). thus, its unfortunate though that you must either supply a flat curve as a LR preset to counteract the automatic adjustment of the tone curve by the Monochrom profile/DNG opcodes.  

I think Leica also adjusted the Tone curve, so as to match the JPEG's viewed in live view on the rear screen of the m10M.  I understand your point that it does take advantage of the huge amount of shadow-side dynamic range available in the m10M, but I am very surprised LR/Leica will not allow you to unclick "apply profile" like the  SL2.

I’m not advocating or prescribing any specific tone curve.  I couldn’t care less what comes out of camera or LR, as I create my own curve(s) as desired (never flat) for any given pic or group of pics.  I don’t own an M10 Monochrom, content to use the original Monochrom, but I see no reason why one can’t save a preset in LR Classic and apply it. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With M10 files all you have to do is to set the Leica M10 profile as the default profile for importing files into LR Classic, rather than the Adobe profile. I as sure that is also the case with the M10M. And it's also simple to create your own profiles. There is no need to use Adobe Camera Raw: that is for Photoshop.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

With M10 files all you have to do is to set the Leica M10 profile as the default profile for importing files into LR Classic, rather than the Adobe profile. I as sure that is also the case with the M10M. And it's also simple to create your own profiles. There is no need to use Adobe Camera Raw: that is for Photoshop.

You actually have to use the “monochrom” profile, there’s no other option. There are stock adobe presets that handle B/W (most of the b/w presets are grayed out) but there are no profiles other than the Leica sponsored “monochrom” one. Usually you can choose the Adobe Standard or Adobe Vivid, etc. profiles (and “Camera Matching” profiles for SL2, Q2, m10p) but not with the m10 M.  I’ll post a screenshot in the morning.  

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I have no problems creating profiles or presets in LR Classic with either the M10, SL2 or M Monochrom.

Jeff

How do you create profiles with only LR Classic? I only see options to create Presets.  Or import Profiles (not create them).  Also I’ve been using Martin labs presets; for the monochrom Mastin Labs offers some really solid b/w presets (most of them change the tone curve, and if they don’t change the curve I set it to the Leica automatic monochrom curve).  

30 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

How do you create profiles with only LR Classic? I only see options to create Presets.  Or import Profiles (not create them).  Also I’ve been using Martin labs presets; for the monochrom Mastin Labs offers some really solid b/w presets (most of them change the tone curve, and if they don’t change the curve I set it to the Leica automatic monochrom curve).  

My language wasn't precise....of course one can create presets within LR Classic, and one can create or use use third party profiles and import/store them in LR Classic (for instance using XRite Color Checker).  Either way, once created or stored, the options are there to access and use as desired.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/camera-profiles/

I typically create my own tone curve on an image by image basis, regardless of the starting point.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have profiles for each lens which usually have highlights set for -100  with other sharpening adjustments, while leaving the masking slider variable for each image. The Tone Curve is set for "Linear" as the other two adjustments are too contrasty for my workflow. Some images shot in bright contrasty light may require shadow adjustment +50 - +100 because the blacks are too black. Once in Photoshop I apply my workflow, building each layer of contrast and brightness to suit the image. I think M10M raw files are more suited to European light, that is softer less contrasty light. Not to say that M10M doesn't perform in contrasty light but the files show prominent dark areas, "blacks" which look great on the review screen but tend to clog the image in processing and your subject can easily be lost in those darker areas and contrasts. It also must be said that I use mainly Summicron lenses.      

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken Abrahams said:

The Tone Curve is set for "Linear" as the other two adjustments are too contrasty for my workflow. 

There are of course many alternative curve shapes besides these three, adjustable through sliders or by points on the curve itself, with the option to create a preset to your taste.

Jeff

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

There are of course many alternative curve shapes besides these three, adjustable through sliders or by points on the curve itself, with the option to create a preset to your taste.

Jeff

Yes, thanks Jeff there are a few ways to complete a preset and I use the sliders as said in my comment.