Visoflex Typ 020 eyepiece rubber cracked

wmkfung

• 2 weeks later...
  • Light, heat, humidity, oils, water and solvents affect rubber, and some plastics deteriorate in high and low humidity. In the tropics rubber and rubber coated plastics become sticky if kept in the open. If you put these in a dry cabinet, check humidity levels. Too low, and it will become brittle, resulting in usage cracks.
  • Store at temperature between 4-25 Celsius and below 75 humidity.
  • Check before using cleaning fluid. What's safe for glass and metals will sometimes not be safe for rubber and plastics.  (especially Isopropyl Alcohol)
Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2

I got mine pre-owned, and the rubber piece was falling apart which allowed me to negotiate a substantial discount off the asking price. 

Got home, peeled the sticky rubber out and refinished it with a small leather strip from my leatherworking spares. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I bought a used EVF a little while ago and have found it’s split at the base of the eyepiece.  I can’t recall if it was split when I bought it which was frustrating. 

At first I thought it was where two ends met, but looking at other examples it’s definitely a split. 

Serial no. PA0089**

On 4/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, mememarathon said:

I got mine pre-owned, and the rubber piece was falling apart which allowed me to negotiate a substantial discount off the asking price. 

Got home, peeled the sticky rubber out and refinished it with a small leather strip from my leatherworking spares. 

Not bad looking. I suggest smoothe the edge (with hand burnisher ? and edge kote)

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, a.noctilux said:

I saw that the 020 has serial number as PA01xxxx

If cracked 020 has old serial, maybe it helps if those serial numbers can be reported here.

Also, I think, the countries where problems have occurred – eg, UK versus other territories.

• 2 months later...

same problem here... eyepiece rubber broken....     used only 3 times...

solved with a bicycle wheel....  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Giacomo Sardi said:

👍

finding the right size of rubber inner tube must not be easy.

Am 9.4.2021 um 09:49 schrieb rramesh:
  • Light, heat, humidity, oils, water and solvents affect rubber, and some plastics deteriorate in high and low humidity. In the tropics rubber and rubber coated plastics become sticky if kept in the open. If you put these in a dry cabinet, check humidity levels. Too low, and it will become brittle, resulting in usage cracks.
  • Store at temperature between 4-25 Celsius and below 75 humidity.
  • Check before using cleaning fluid. What's safe for glass and metals will sometimes not be safe for rubber and plastics.  (especially Isopropyl Alcohol)

To rejuvenate dry and brittle rubber, just put in a fitting plastic bag (not too big one) and cover the rubber piece by talc powder and keep it closed for a week or two.

The rubber usually becomes soft and elastic due to that treatment.

However I have not checked on my (new) visoflex how easy the rubber piece can be detached.

Edited by Helge

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 12:36 AM, Giacomo Sardi said:

Very good work, how did you touch up the edge in such a nice way? Could you share with us the way to do it?

• 1 year later...

Well not surprised to read about this now that all customers do have this eye rubber cracked in hand and no way out even if quite expensive so I think DIY may be the only way to fix with any glue as LEICA just ask you to buy the new visoflex 2

French says « les chiens aboient la caravane passe «  that’s the real world of Consumption Era 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, I'm an italian Visoflex owner and I realized that also my device is affected by this problem the day that I had to send it to an ebay user who bought it. I used it 2 or 3 times, let me say no more than 10 and I'm used to clean this kind of things with a damp microfibre cloth. Since I was not using it, I put it in its original box and after a couple of year I decided to sell it. It seems unacceptable to me that an object paid hundreds of €/$ deteriorates in this way by itself inside a box. I think it would be normal to read these things if we were the zorky forum users talking about our 50, 60 and 70's cameras bought for a few €/$ in the flea markets... I find it really strange to hear that it is a common problem of a digital device of a brand of excellence, bought in the last 5/10 years and it's - imho - I consider unacceptable that the company not only does not take care of it, but does not even make the spare part available, I cannot understand the reason. Then I really appreciate that the users of the forum do their best to solve the problem and share possible solutions... but then I think that it would be enough that "the company" make available the pieces of rubber (cost a few cents?) that we would all be ready to buy for 5/10 €/$...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we are on 28th May 2023. The eye piece rubber of Visioflex 020 was melting and cracking. I got mine in Leica Singapore in the year 2016. Minimally used. Some photos are attached. Let me try out some hack like others here. Thanks for sharing your ideas and disappointment.