Visoflex Typ 020 eyepiece rubber cracked

wmkfung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Visoflex Typ 020 eyepiece rubber cracked. At first, I found some liquid appeared on the eyepiece like it was 'sweating'. I cleaned it gently with tissue paper. Recently, I found it was cracked as in the attached photo. I only use the Visoflex occasionally and when not in use, it was stored in a camera box with my other cameras and lenses. The box was electronically controlled at constant temperature and humidity. Initially, I thought the problem could be solved easily as I could get a replacement eyepiece rubber from Leica. However, the local Leica shop said they had no such spare parts. Then I wrote to Leica AG in Germany. Then I got a reply that the eyepiece was not available from Leica HQ. The local Leica shop even suggested me to buy a new Visoflex. It was crazy as the Visoflex functioned properly with only the eyepiece rubber cracked.

I would like to know any person has the same issue with the Visoflex Typ 020 and how did you solve the problem.    

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even if I did not maintain it properly, I dont mind to pay a reasonable price for a replacement eyepiece but the problem is there is no such spare parts from Leica and without the eyepiece rubber, the Visoflex cannot be used as it will scratch my glass or even eye.

1 minute ago, wmkfung said:

Done already, please see the 4th line of my initial post. They said no such spare parts. I just can't believe.

My apologies, I didn't read every line ..  Surely you could use one of the new super glues to repair..!!    L

I attach herewith an update photo of my Visoflex eyepiece. As it can be seen, some oil came out from the eyepiece rubber and appears that it is melting. Usually, rubber/plastic will crack after long exposure to sunlight or heat and became dried up.  However, this is clearly not the present case. I once heard that some rubber/plastic under modern manufacturing process will melt by itself after certain period of time so that it will be friendly to the environment. However, given the relatively short history of the Visoflex Typ020, I think it is definitely a quality issue and Leica should look into the matter seriously.

45 minutes ago, wmkfung said:

I attach herewith an update photo of my Visoflex eyepiece. As it can be seen, some oil came out from the eyepiece rubber and appears that it is melting. Usually, rubber/plastic will crack after long exposure to sunlight or heat and became dried up.  However, this is clearly not the present case. I once heard that some rubber/plastic under modern manufacturing process will melt by itself after certain period of time so that it will be friendly to the environment. However, given the relatively short history of the Visoflex Typ020, I think it is definitely a quality issue and Leica should look into the matter seriously.

Sadly, I faced the same problem as you. The rubber piece is "sweating" with sticky feel but no cracks for now. 

PS. Also hardly use.. less than 10 times since purchase in 2014. Kept with the rest of camera bodies/lenses most of the time. 

Edited by BlacTT

Here is mine, both sides show plastic cracked, specially near angles.

I swear I treated it very friendly, but it seems it was not enough.

To fix it I used cyanolit, and since then I didn't see other split, and I treat it as an old osteoporotic grandma.

IMHO better not let it on the camera, either on shoulder or in bag, and put it carefully on/off when necessary.

For the price of the Visoflex, Leica owe us an explanation on the poor quality. It was first produced in 2014 and the durability was so poor. I suggest Leica should replace all Visoflex Typ 020 for free just like what they did for the M9 CCD before, though Leica impose a charge now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1