Leica still likes film (and old cameras!)

On 3/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, mediumformula said:

Yeah I saw this the other day.  I've watched his youtube channel  before. I'm surprised they featured an M6, a camera discontinued over 20 years ago.  I guess it's all about building the mystique of the brand. 

M6 have shot up in price. Only augments the rise. Though his must b a TTL as he uses the flash.

33 minutes ago, Topsy said:

You can see the small dial in one of the close up shots.

Just re-watched it and now I'm not so sure.

There are a couple of other videos on YouTube of him where you can see he uses the non-TTL though. I suppose it's not impossible that he has 2 cameras.

There is just something about this guy that I immediately am judgmental about, and I dislike. It could be his choice of clothes or the hat or his single earring, I don't know. I just do not enjoy listening to him talk about cameras because I do not want to know more about him or his opinion. I can obviously tell I am in the minority here, but any focus on Leica and film is good and I'm glad Leica made it a point to release a video about the topic.

Edited by yggdra.omega
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Good quality pictures. Hard to get this quality on digital.

As for thread title. Does Leica repair M, LTM and R cameras? This would be sign of true love.

M cameras definitely (they still make them so the have to service them too). Don't think they'd touch LTM's and they definitely don't to the R's any more.

I have read (here) that Leica used to sub out work on older cameras to one or two of the repairers that are listed here anyway. When I asked Leica for a quote to CLA my M2 a few years back they estimated treble what I paid locally.

In times like now, where you can not just go to a place with a beautiful light and taking photos, I enjoyed this video a lot. Of course it is marketing, but who cares, I love M cameras and film and I prefer videos like this in comparison to the latest Corona death rates.

Edited by benqui
  • Like 3

On 4/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, yggdra.omega said:

There is just something about this guy that I immediately am judgmental about, and I dislike. It could be his choice of clothes or the hat or his single earring, I don't know. I just do not enjoy listening to him talk about cameras because I do not want to know more about him or his opinion. I can obviously tell I am in the minority here, but any focus on Leica and film is good and I'm glad Leica made it a point to release a video about the topic.

Yes, sometimes I just don't get why some photographers are singled out. I don't find his work anymore inspiring than the average flickr user. I thought the videographer was finding more interesting compositions. I thought his exposures often didn't look right. I just don't find him convincing. For whatever reason, he (by his own words in another video about him) has a large Instagram following, and I think this must be why he's come to the attention of Leica. 

Pete

• Like 3