24-90 f2.8-4 SL

northernlights

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

24-90 Vario Elmarit

Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM lens with M- Adaptor L. @f1.4
Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM lens with M- Adaptor L (@f1.4)

The Japanese summilux cheap Canon 50mm f1.4 @f1.4 (with the glow) cannot resolve details as well as the 24-90 @f4 with the SL sensor. It however has a better shallow DOF. 

• Like 9

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

I think the grip of the SL2 is what makes all the difference.  When I pick up, say the SL2 with 50mm Panasonic Prime off the table (only slightly lighter than the zoom), I usually lift up by the lens body and first thought is, blooming heck 😄 that's a lump,  yet I can walk and barely notice the weight once in the hand, such a comfortable grip.

I agree - I had the SL1 and never felt comfortable with it.  I'm much happier with the SL2.  The other great aid is the LowePro Passport sling bag (https://www.lowepro.com/global/passport-sling-iii-lp36657-config/).  This easily takes the SL2  + 24-90 (with hood reversed) or the SL2 + Sigma 40 + a choice of M lens (I often carry the M 135 Apo-Telyt as a companion) .  It's also a great bag for carrying an M + two or three lenses. The GREAT thing about this set-up is that even if you're wearing a back pack the camera doesn't get in the way and is easily accessible (as are your hat and gloves!) , and I often just carry the  SL2 across body and resting on top of the bag.  It's surprisingly comfortable...

• Like 1

I still use the SL to this day, 2 to 4 times a month for corporate portraits with the 90 summicron, as I have the grip. I'm still pretty happy with it as 24mp is sufficient.

Yes, the SL2's ergonomics is definitely superior particularly in longer run jobs when it gets tiring.

I use a small courier despatch bag with a small backpack to hold everything I need. A 24-90 with sigma 16, 30 and 56 f1.4s together with a colormeter and an exposure meter. I'm trying to see if I'm comfortable with adding a audio recorder with a brace of microphones and some lights. It's sort of let's see how far I can get away with competently shooting photo and video and still let it be fun.

I think the limiting factor would be adding light stands 😆. Wouldn't be fun then, maybe.

But what I'm trying to get at is that the SL2 with the 24-90 as a core foundation does get you to a place where the breadth of options really extends possibilities amazingly compared with just a few years ago.

Edited by lx1713
auto corrections
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, lx1713 said:

the SL2 with the 24-90 as a core foundation does get you to a place where the breadth of options really extends possibilities amazingly compared with just a few years ago.

I couldn’t agree more - and I think especially during the pandemic when social documentary or performing arts photography has been impossible for me, the SL2 & 24-90 have become invaluable companions that continue to Ali me to make a bit of sense of the world around me.

https://www.ctribble.co.uk/galleries/PERSONAL/Lakes_2021_Kentmere/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just another little homage to the 24-90. The more I use it the more I think it’s going to be a long term love affair. I’ve said it somewhere else. It’s such a well mannered lens. Some images here as a reminder of its flexibility. 

There’s a larger set here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctribble/shares/j00WS6

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24-90 is often under-rated. 

Edited by northernlights
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe not so much under-rated as under-estimated?  After disappointment with higher end Canon kit lenses (L 24-105 f4) and being overwhelmed by the size of the SL/24-90 combination when I first handled one (after being a life-long M user), I couldn't see the point of the lens.  However, after conversations with Jono Slack and using his lens, I was sufficiently persuaded to get my own copy when i saw one for a good price second-hand.  I've had it since August 2020 and taken 1000s of images with it during this awful pandemic, and I have found it to be an invaluable companion.  It's rock solid, confidence inspiring, weather resistant and draws beautifully across all focal lengths.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A truly spectacular lens it is.

(sorry for reposting)

• Like 19

2 hours ago, northernlights said:

24-90 is often under-rated. 

My goodness I have to ask!

Is that first shot a crop of the second pic?

The photo looks amazing and if so the detail is also quite impressive!!

Definitely not helping my g.a.s 😭😭

20 hours ago, cheekz4dayz said:

My goodness I have to ask!

Is that first shot a crop of the second pic?

The photo looks amazing and if so the detail is also quite impressive!!

Definitely not helping my g.a.s 😭😭

no. It’s a separate shot. If it was, it would beat any super APO! Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoySmith said:

My only annoyance with the SL 24-90 is zoom creep, where when carrying it sling style, with the lens pointing down, the zoom extends out to 90 on its own. Otherwise it is a great lens.

I am also annoyed by this. I find myself keeping a hand on the lens hood to keep it from extending. 

Similar experience - though I don’t carry it lens down. The norm for me is on a strap and cross body with the camera either resting in the hip or a lowe pro passport sling bag (the BEST bag I’ve found so far as a general walk about for either the SL with zoom or two prime, or the M10 with 2 or 3 lenses). 

3 hours ago, RoySmith said:

My only annoyance with the SL 24-90 is zoom creep, where when carrying it sling style, with the lens pointing down, the zoom extends out to 90 on its own. Otherwise it is a great lens.

So far not an issue with mine.

Jeff