24-90 f2.8-4 SL

northernlights

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought used this amazing lens in 2018 on my Leica T (701). Sure it did not balance well, but the pictures were amazing. So much for a camera body weighing 384g paired with a 1.1kg lens. The AF was next to zero but the O.I.S. was good. I am a manual focus guy so a 1-1.5s AF was very acceptable. Expectedly, I didn’t use it much.  I sold it when I sold the T to  focus on the Mp240 and my M lenses. 

There is a used, mint 24-90 SL with a very good price on offer now. I sold the MP240 and am now using the SL. I shoot street 90%. Whilst SL lenses are good and the AF is tempting, I try to remind myself again and again, the SL replaces my M240 for the EVF and a different style enabling unrestricted focal lengths wider than 28mm. The SL is 187g more than the M240. Don’t make it a 2kg system that I came from long ago. Nice but restrictive weight (will not use) is next to useless. Memory is short. There are 3 times times I bought, sold and bought again the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L of various kinds 10 years ago on the 1D2, 5D and 6D’s. Each of these 70-200 f2.8’s IS or no IS had raving reviews, *but it was the right lens for the wrong guy*. I never brought it out of the dry box. Even if I had, it reluctantly came out of my bag except for a number of times I could count with my two hands. Well within 10 fingers. The 70-200 f4 L weighing 650g saw more action. 

Now this lens stares in my face. Again, right lens, wrong guy. I don’t want to use it once and sell again. Bye bye 24-90..

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

As you are clearly obsessed with weight then you have bought into the wrong system.

Hence, stay focused on only using compact M lenses. Ignore all other features on the SL for AF.

Technical specs are undeniable - SL is 847g and M240 is 680g, both with batteries. The difference is 167g - less than the weight of 2 large tomatoes in a plastic bag. 

it is not a wrong system. It is how to keep the system suitable. 

On second thoughts, handheld 1/20s shots capturing movement whilst surrounding is sharp can only be shot on an OIS system: either SL2 or SL with OIS lens. It’s either the pana pro 24-70 OIS or the Leica VE 24-90 SL OIS. 
At current prices, perhaps it may be useful to get one, just one SL lens and open the flood gates!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, northernlights said:

Hi Ivar, do share some photos shot with your Pana S 16-35 lens when you can. There are limited ones available shared online. 500g is an attractive proposition. 

I will. I am afraid it may take a little time as the country is more or less completely shut down and I only leave the house for essential purchases.

I have read reviews of this lens and it appears to be a very good performer. Perhaps not matching the Leica SL 16-35, but 1/3 of the cost. 

Indeed, the Pana S 16-35 is an excellent lens. I own one and the SL 24-90 too. But my situation is somiliar to that of Ivar - all shut down because of the disease in our country. Anyway in the net you find a review of Mr. Richard Wong concerning this Pana lens. Although thos review is together with the Pana Sr1 I have the same impression on the SL 2.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I deep dived and got a used 24-90 vario elmarit today.

Am enjoying the SL with occasional shoots as the partial lockdown (we call it circuit breaker here in Singapore). I am juggling work and a young family. Here’re ones i shot on 3 June with the 35 lux FLE and Zeiss 21mm F2.8 Biogon T (merlion)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, northernlights said:

I deep dived and got a used 24-90 vario elmarit today.

Am enjoying the SL with occasional shoots as the partial lockdown (we call it circuit breaker here in Singapore). I am juggling work and a young family. Here’re ones i shot on 3 June with the 35 lux FLE and Zeiss 21mm F2.8 Biogon T (merlion)

Hold onto the SL 24-90.  I acquired it with my SL in 2017 as the lens is the core of the system in my opinion.   If shooting stopped down, the lens does not have to come off the camera as the IQ is prime-like.  I compliment my SL 24-90 with higher speed primes when needed.  The build quality is second to none.  I use it on my SL and S1H.  I considered the Sony and Nikon 24-70 offerings, but I believe the Leica pro mirrorless system suits my needs best. Have fun with it! 

• Like 2

I agree with Mick H. The 24-90 is a lens to hold on to. 

My "other" camera is a GFX100 (complete with 30 pound bag of lenses, or at least, it feels like). The SL2 with the 24-90 is a breeze compared to that. I've used it frequently for full-day "walking around" where its flexibility and the freedom from carrying a bag of lenses made it ideal, able to handle just about anything.

Compared to the M with a prime, sure, it's more of a hand full. Compared to any medium format body, analog or digital, it's equivalent or better, and the results are extremely convincing. I've learned to carry it by the lens resting in the left hand; the left hand bears the weight, the right operates the body. When that's simply too much, or when I know what I'll encounter, or it's simply a prime situation, I put one of the SL f/2 primes on it (50 or 35, so far) and am amazed by the lightness and handling. But, as a tightly integrated powerhouse package, the SL or SL2 paired with the 24-90 has proven to be a persuasive solution, at least for many of my use cases.

YMMV and all. Just my sentiments. I can understand folks saying it's too much, and for some things, it sure would be. Dangling off my other shoulder is the Monochrom with a prime, and it's practically weightless.

Good days, these.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 24-90 is HUGE, but man...I love it, for me anyways, I feel like I always need at least 1 normal zoom just in case. So when I'm shooting something urgent or unexpected, like a party, or, say a landscape at a park where I can't position myself where I'd like to be (can't zoom with my feet) so I can use the zoom to frame an otherwise lost shot. I've owned the Nikon, Canon and Sony top of the line and they are all about the same size (HUGE, I mean, they call the old Canon the "Brick" right?) 

I also love to have a small kit...For me, that small kit is a Q2, in the recent past it was an a7r/CV40/1.2. So...anyways, depending on what I'm planning on shooting, I have a kit for each...

I don't know if you should keep it or not, but I know I kinda have to keep mine or else purchase an off brand, which isn't out of the question, but, it won't save me much weight.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, northernlights said:

Hi Ivar, do share some photos shot with your Pana S 16-35 lens when you can. There are limited ones available shared online. 500g is an attractive proposition. 

If you later consider a 16-35, this review of the Panasonic is informative...

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks all. My first shoot outdoors with the 24-90 since the lifting of the Covid-19 circuit breaker and entering phase 2 in Singapore. Landscape’s not my liking though. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to add how much I appreciate this lens.  OK, it's big - but not that big.  And OK, it's heavy - but perfectly manageable.  However, it's beautifully well behaved and offers such great flexibility.  I was able to get a week away in North Norfolk and it really came into its own - big East Coast skies, but lovely close detail too.  If you've been put off by negative comments, think again.  It's a delight!

Some more pictures here...https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRnKzXD

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

And I continue to be in love. I will hold on to the M10s, and I’m not tempted to put money in to SL primes at the moment. However, when it comes to landscape and the kind of walking I’m privileged (because of where I live) and obliged to do (because of the UK lockdown) the SL2 and the 24-90 are the best photographic tools I’ve ever had! Some more Cumbrian scenes here  

https://www.flickr.com/gp/ctribble/nK9z0v

• Like 5

Just a personal perspective.

The 24-90 is the singular statement that the SL is a pro system but to appreciate it, I needed go Nikon and Canon first. A decade with each taught me what I ought to appreciate 😊 The SL primes, for me, are really for minor reasons: more brilliant, lighter, when you need a bigger aperture, etc.

The 24-90 isn't a class lower than the primes. If you work within the range, it will reduce your burden of needing other lenses.

The combined weight of the body and lens is a burden if you are not used to it. It becomes a huge advantage if you are used to its ergonomics. If you have to shoot for 8 hours daily over weeks, the weight becomes your stable platform when your arms and legs are burning from fatigue. The solid weight of lens and the solidity of the SL will give the AF higher hits. If I had to trim as much things as possible for a shoot. The SL and the 24-90 at about 2 kg will give me a much wider scope of performance than the competition at the same weight.

But if it's going to be a couple of hours a week, the SL and 24-90 will not be my choice.

• Like 1

An interesting reflection - but if you're in a real world situation - whether this is event, wedding, landscape or street, the flexibility of 24-90 + near macro is compelling.  Yes, the discipline (and freedom) of an M + 28 or 35 is another (and liberating) experience, but I'm finding that I'm willing to carry the 2kg for quite a long distance in order to get the shots... 

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

An interesting reflection - but if you're in a real world situation - whether this is event, wedding, landscape or street, the flexibility of 24-90 + near macro is compelling.  Yes, the discipline (and freedom) of an M + 28 or 35 is another (and liberating) experience, but I'm finding that I'm willing to carry the 2kg for quite a long distance in order to get the shots... 

I think the grip of the SL2 is what makes all the difference.  When I pick up, say the SL2 with 50mm Panasonic Prime off the table (only slightly lighter than the zoom), I usually lift up by the lens body and first thought is, blooming heck 😄 that's a lump,  yet I can walk and barely notice the weight once in the hand, such a comfortable grip.