R8 compatible with older R lenses?

Norman Peritore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I thought, when using an extender with the R to L adapter, the sequence and actions must be as follows. 

1) Mount extender on lens, while holding small square lever at the rear (camera side) of extender gently clockwise with the tip of a finger and hold the lever against the stop until the extender is fully mounted. 

2) Mount the extender and lens on the R to L adapter. 

3) Mount lens, extender and R to L adapter on camera. 

This applies to 2 cam, 3 cam, R cam and ROM lenses. Unless you move this lever (see photo below), the lens will not mount on the extender. On an R camera, this lever is held clockwise by the coupling in the camera mount. This applies to 1.4X and 2X Extenders, APO, non-APO and APO ROM. On unmounting the extender from the lens, the lever will spring back of its own accord. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

On 2/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, wlaidlaw said:

PS I have two R fit lenses with no cams at all. The 500-MR Telyt and an 80mm/2.8 Hartblei Super Rotator Tilt/shift lens. 

I have the Schneider 28mm f2.8 PC-Super Angulon lens, with no cams. The 35mm f4 Schneider PA-Curtagon lens doesn't have them, either. You meter manually with the aperture closed down.

28 minutes ago, jpattison said:

I have the Schneider 28mm f2.8 PC-Super Angulon lens, with no cams. The 35mm f4 Schneider PA-Curtagon lens doesn't have them, either. You meter manually with the aperture closed down.

Actually, the 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon does have cams, but they are vestigial static cams which tell the camera explicitly and accurately that, so far as light is concerned, what you see is what you get, and therefore to make no allowance for  any automatic diaphragm stopping down by the camera on exposure. As you say, you compose your image with the lens aperture wide open, for viewfinder visibility reasons, then you shut down to your chosen aperture. (This is why it is much better to use this lens on a tripod.) Wilson's procedure is to make sure that the automatic stop down lever on the lens, which is used by the camera, does not get in the way when mounting the lens to an extender or adapter off camera, or to a camera with no stop down linkage to hold it out of the way for you. The PC lens has no such linkage to impede mounting. The vestigial static metering cams are the equivalent of the second and third cams of the R system, so that this lens can be used on R3 cameras onwards, as well as Leicaflex SL and Leicaflex SL2, but not the original Leicaflex.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, masjah said:

Actually, the 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon does have cams, but they are vestigial static cams which tell the camera explicitly and accurately that, so far as light is concerned, what you see is what you get, and therefore to make no allowance for  any automatic diaphragm stopping down by the camera on exposure.

Thanks, John. I hadn't noticed the single fixed "cam" (along with the small FIXED (at f2.8 position?) stop down "lever" that replicates the moving one that normally closes the aperture down in a standard lens).The larger "cam" appears flat not sloped - so no feedback from there.

By the way, the 2.8 PC-SA is my favourite lens, great for left/middle/right  3 section horizontal pans which match almost perfectly, as the camera remains in a fixed position. (to improve this and achieve perfect perspective, you should somehow keep the lens fixed, and let the camera move by using the lens shift. I haven't worked out how to do that yet!)

John

Edited by jpattison
favourite etc
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...