Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some random shots for color and tones with the 50 Summilux-SL on the S1. Camera does tend to blow Highlights easily. I advise to use EV -2/3, at least.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-k9ppGm/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/8000 sec.

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/400 sec.

ISO 100 f/6.3 @1/80 sec.

• Thanks 1

Two more with the 50 Summilux-SL on the S1. One is wide open. 😀

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-k9ppGm/

ISO 100 f/1.4 @1/5000 sec.

ISO 100 f/5 @1/500 sec.

Try to lift the Shadows here, see what happens. Nothing.

RAW file here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g806834481-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=nEpfKR1Ywc-9lngCmRptfrc0fvDCzazj2n9Kuwaosf4=

S1 + 50 Summilux-SL

• Like 1

A walk in the woods before the daffodils finish ...... all with 24-90 and SR1

• Like 12

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Like 4

I tried some Hi-Res versions of some of the above .....Mode 2 which avoids artefacts from movement actually does work very well.

However none of the Hi-Res image DNG's seem to be amenable to any further sharpening ...... so sharpened original images viewed at 2:1 actually look better than the H-Res images at 1:1. Maybe that's a product of the algorithm that tries to eliminate movement. Either way it it seems to negate the benefits of increased resolution. 

How this would pan out when printing I'm not clear. 

There is a proviso which may explain the results ..... in Hi-Res mode ..... rather stupidly ..... the timer is disabled so it is hard to exclude movement cause by pressing the shutter, even on a tripod, from influencing the image. I'll have to get a compatible remote release and try again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

There is a proviso which may explain the results ..... in Hi-Res mode ..... rather stupidly ..... the timer is disabled so it is hard to exclude movement cause by pressing the shutter, even on a tripod, from influencing the image. I'll have to get a compatible remote release and try again. 

Are you sure about the lack of timer? I’m highly certain I’ve seen videos online showing how there is a timer for high res mode.

Maybe I’m wrong. But i thought under where it says “start” that there was a “shutter delay” function from 1 to 30 secs under the same high resolution folder.

So yes, one needs to hit the shutter, but I thought one can command the camera to pause before taking the high res shot?

1 hour ago, Jon Warwick said:

Maybe I’m wrong. But i thought under where it says “start” that there was a “shutter delay” function from 1 to 30 secs under the same high resolution folder.

So yes, one needs to hit the shutter, but I thought one can command the camera to pause before taking the high res shot?

S1R User Manual, P 212

Edited by ron777
  • Thanks 2

Thanks ..... I seem to have missed that on the set-up screen ....... although quite why you need a seperate setting instead of the normal timed delay is beyond me..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, for me, I fear this is just another nail in the coffin of a function that promises much and delivers relatively little. 

At least with Leica you usually get what it says on the tin .....

2 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Thanks ..... I seem to have missed that on the set-up screen ....... although quite why you need a seperate setting instead of the normal timed delay is beyond me..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, for me, I fear this is just another nail in the coffin of a function that promises much and delivers relatively little. 

At least with Leica you usually get what it says on the tin .....

I have tried the High Res mode on my Sony a7rIII and Olympus OMD and have, IMO, found them to be rather gimmicky, a collateral benefit of IBIS.  That said,  a few images have actually benefitted from High Res—but they are few and far between— and the difference between High Res and the underlying image was not immediately obvious.  Therefore, I'm not surprised by your observation with Panasonic's offering.  

What other—nails—short changes have you encountered, aside from the questionable "M" lens compatibility?  

As for Leica, in my experience, they tend to provide much less in the way of bells and whistles, and that can be either good or bad, depending upon your perspective.

Finally,  with all of the complicated software/hardware integration appearing in automobiles, computers, cameras and elsewhere, I'm not surprised to find newly released models with annoyances that had escaped capture at the time of R&D or Beta testing.  But since today's cameras are highly software dependent, it seems reasonable to expect that many problematic issues can be resolved with firmware updates, particularly from a manufacturer that has the finances and workforce to make it happen.

I have yet to find the perfect camera, and since perfection is in the hands and eyes of the user/beholder I suspect that I never will.  In that regard, I'm not sure that there's a perfect anything.  To wit, I've been collecting handmade jazz guitars for years, searching for the holy grail.  According to the pros, the holy grail is a Gibson L5, in one of its several configurations ... I own 3 of them.  Is it the holy grail for me?  Well, if it were, I'd still be able to walk through my guitar room without having to zigzag around heavy cases and amps.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ron777 said:

What other—nails—short changes have you encountered, aside from the questionable "M" lens compatibility?  

Not much really ...... the customisation of menus .....'my menu' and the 'Q' menu are a bit limited in what you can include and seems to duplicate a lot of each other ..... and 'My Menu' is not that quickly accessible. Leica does this sort of thing a whole lot better.

I still haven't worked out how to set the Fn buttons .... every time I follow the instructions to reassign them it doesn't work .... and I'm not sure it's that useful anyway. 

Basic functionality is excellent and if you can ignore/disable the superfluous bells and whistles it is a great camera with great images. 

If the SL2 appears with a great sensor and DR I will have a dilemma ...... do I forgo IBIS for a simpler interface or not .....

Of course if the SL2 has IBIS there will be no contest ...... but I think this is unlikely ... :(

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

At my age, IBIS is a must.  In fact, I'd purchased the a7rIII for the sole purpose of taking advantage of its IBIS.  However, Sony's implementation of IBIS is not as effective as the competition.  I had great hopes for Leica's OIS, but while the 24-90mm produces great images, and I have no intention of ever selling it—never say never—its OIS is not that impressive.

Enter the Panasonic S1R, and while I've yet to receive my copy, all reports, as well as your own, seem to indicate that its IBIS is quite good.  After suffering through Sony's menu system, once I'd set its buttons to my liking there has been little menu diving.  I am hopeful that the S1R will prove similar.  

While I agree that Leica's lean menu implementation and simplistic button approach is appreciated by many,  it has its limitations as well.  For example—and there are others—I would like to be able to display the SL's histogram and grid at the same time, but that's not possible, and no amount of unanswered emails to Leica has resulted in a software fix, as I assume that this is a coding issue.  It would also be nice if there were the ability to alter EVF brightness but, short of fiddling with exposure compensation that is not possible.  
These, IMO, could all be menu options.  The excuse floating around the Internet goes like this, "Leica is a small company with limited resources..."  No argument there, and it is the very reason that if the S1R performs to expectations, I will likely sell my SL, save the anticipated four or more thousand dollars that it would undoubtedly cost for the SL2 over the S1r and call it a day.

As for "M" lens compatibility, I own four Summicrons (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm) that were used with various film bearing Leica's and later with an M8 and M9, neither of which can I effectively focus these days.  Anyway, those focal lengths are all covered by the 24-90 Zoom, and the image quality from the zoom is, in my estimation, pretty close to if not better in some instances than the corresponding primes.  Sure, there is a weight and size advantage to the primes, but put them all in your bag and their combined weight doesn't feel a whole lot different than the single zoom, and there is no need to find a place to change lenses, or fiddle with manual focus if you're recording an image on the fly.  

It's been said that the M's will outlast the motor driven zooms, and that's probably true, as some of my primes are roughly 20 years old and look and work like new, but the real questions is, will I outlast my zooms?

As for the Panasonic's My Menu and Q Menu, my guess is that many of your observations will be ameliorated by future firmware updates as dictated by user feedback.  And if not, we humans become accustomed to most minor inconveniences, although we older dogs take a little more time.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having tried the 50 Summiliux-SL in low light at 1/8 sec. IBIS is a must. This lens is so heavy that it’s hard to get sharp pictures at 1/50 sec. and below.  The gain, therefore, is between six and ten stops. Leica knows this and Stefan Daniel acknowledges it in an interview with Thorsten Overgaard. I understand that people still believe the SL2 won’t have IBIS even after reading what Stefan Daniel said last October, about a year ahead of the SL2 launch.. In psychology it’s called confirmation bias. See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias. And when they are told that it will likely have IBIS, they revert to believe perseverance. See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_perseverance. That’s what makes a market, I guess. 😁

The issue of whether the SL2 will have IBIS is, IMHO, related to what the M11 will be. Do you think the M11 will have IBIS? If not, then will Leica want to have a camera other than the M to have such an advantage? Clearly IBIS is an advantage. I make full use of it on my a7RIII with M lenses attached. The other question is whether Leica has the know-how to have IBIS for the M camera.