Sf 40 paired with Leica q

Jbow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Boy this is a nubile question coming from a life long photographer, but a photographer who has not used flash with Leica. I attached my new SF 40 to my Q and for the life of me I can’t get it to fire in manual, in ttl, in auto, in anything. It will test fire and it’s pre light will come on. I also can adjust the compensation on the camera and it communicates with the flash. When I go to the flash settings on the camera “flash mode” is in darkness and I can’t select it. On the live screen, as soon as I turn the flash on the icon appears with a line through it and when I turn the flash power off the icon disappears . I apologize for what I can assume is a very simple question but Leica Flash is new to me.

Make sure you’re in single shot mode, not bracketing. I’ve been there. Usually it’s one dumb thing I’ve got set. When I figure it out , it works fine. I’ve used the SF-40 a lot in manual. 

In PASM mode?

I’m guessing, but I’d turn electronic shutter OFF. 

is Flash mode ON? 

It should work now. 

Good luck. It’s something dumb. I just tried to duplicate your symptom and so far can’t find my past dumb mistake. 

Edited by Leica Guy

18 hours ago, Jbow said:

Boy this is a nubile question coming from a life long photographer, but a photographer who has not used flash with Leica. I attached my new SF 40 to my Q and for the life of me I can’t get it to fire in manual, in ttl, in auto, in anything. It will test fire and it’s pre light will come on. I also can adjust the compensation on the camera and it communicates with the flash. When I go to the flash settings on the camera “flash mode” is in darkness and I can’t select it. On the live screen, as soon as I turn the flash on the icon appears with a line through it and when I turn the flash power off the icon disappears . I apologize for what I can assume is a very simple question but Leica Flash is new to me.

OP: I think you mean newbie, not nubile 😉  Unless you meant to say you were a sexually attractive woman, I suppose?

• 2 years later...