ME(240) new or used M(262)

Nachtmsk

I really hope the day doesn't come when a person with a single camera and lens has to have the serial number run through a computer before being allowed to leave Europe or enter the US. Talk about a surveillance state ! I hope China does not become the example of a model government for the "free" world.

5 minutes ago, Photoman61 said:

They run serial numbers on a single camera someone has on a strap?

No. They are trained to look for certain things and then they ask a simple question: “Did you purchase that on this trip?” Then they ask if you have anything to declare? If you say no and they ask you for the customs form that you filled out prior to leaving, or you don’t have proof you bought it in the USA or paid duty on it, they charge you a fee which they graciously offer to refund to you when you show proof later that you bought it in the USA or paid the duty.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Photoman61 said:

I really hope the day doesn't come when a person with a single camera and lens has to have the serial number run through a computer before being allowed to leave Europe or enter the US. Talk about a surveillance state ! I hope China does not become the example of a model government for the "free" world.

Heh... a blast from the past.

A receipt or other proof of ownership was sometimes required when returning to the US from Japan in the 1970s with that newish Nikon around your neck.  Or a Rolex on your wrist.   No, they didn't look up serial numbers and customs didn't stop everybody.  But they did question a few.  A co-worker was questioned -- his military ID and a "I bought it on base" comment was enough to resolve any questions.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:15 PM, RayD28 said:

Since you own an M6 you have some glass already.  Do you need a 50? 

Sorry just saw your post today. The forum wasn't emailing me when posts were made.

Yes, I do actually need a 50. I've been looking around for one.

Mike

Regarding traveling with camera gear as a United States citizen:

Many years ago I learned one must (as a U.S. citizen) register your camera gear prior to traveling internationally.  U.S. Customs has a Form 4457 (link below) that you fill out, take the form and your gear to your local customs office (if you have one), they inspect and match serial numbers and sign off.  The form goes with you and when you return you must show it if challenged re-entering the United States.  Pure peace of mind.  It also gives you a list of gear with serial numbers if you have an unfortunate event while traveling.

I've read, but not confirmed, that if you do not have a customs office within 50 miles of your home, you may take the form and gear to a Post Office for confirmation.

If you wish to buy a Leica while touring Germany and bring it back on the sly, you very well may, like Lucy, have a lot of 'splaining to do.

Here is the link to the latest form:

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/form-4457-certificate-registration-personal-effects-taken-abroad

Edited by traderjoe
grammar

Odd that you didn't simply look into M240s that are creeping into the market. I recently bought a pristine M (typ 240) with the EVF, with the handgrip, a new thumbs up grip, a extended eyecup, braided Leica strap, Leica hotshoe microphone and new Billingham bag for $3,000 all in. Even at a $2,600 market value for a low use M240, this was the value of the year. Certainly a better buy than the M-E 240 I was also looking at. The M-E does have the 2gb buffer, But I have never had an issue with delay in shooting on 1gb in the m240.

Caveat: Icurrently own several Leica kits including the SL, the (digital CL), an M 8.2 and a D-Lux 7. If you don't mind the weight, the SL with a M lens adapter, makes your Leica M-MOunt glass shine and with the new SL2 release, they are great buys as well. Of course, I love the M 8.2 for its renderings, but with so  many bodies and the interchangeability of lenses, none of them is over used. 

If an M series is to be your only camera and you are looking at a new M-E 240, why not also look at a used M10 for about $4,500....in whatever you ultimately choose, it's great to be in "Leica Land" right now--so many choices, the Lumix/Sigma L-lens alliance's well as improved optics form 3rd -party Asian lens makers, looks like a bright future.

Here it is with the Voigtlander 21 3.5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 12:21 PM, Photoman61 said:

I would think the market may get better now that the 25 percent tariffs are in place, it should help increase the value of used Leica's. I live in the US it would be less expensive for me to fly to Germany to buy a new Leica with a 25 percent tariff added on.

The tariffs are on lenses only, not cameras. I ordered my SL2 in January from Leica Germany and was not subject to any tariffs - just the regular CBP import fee of $26 and change.