ME(240) new or used M(262)

Nachtmsk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I recently rented an ME(240) and walked around with it for a week with at 35mm f/2 Summicron. Other leica's I own are a Q and M6.

A local camera shop here has a well used M(262) up for sale at 3k - which includes a 50mm 1.5 Zeiss. It's the lens with the (odd) behavior at 1.5 that requires you to back-focus just a hair.

So I'm trying to decide on the  M(262) with the Sonnar or the ME(240) New at 4k.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Is the ME(240) just a modified M(240)?

Thanks
Mike

If video is a feature of the M-E you're not going to use, I would see if the shop would negotiate a better price on the 262 without the Zeiss lens.  Nice examples of the 262 are available on the used market for $2,500 to $2,800 if you're patient.  I bought a used 262 in near mint condition from a well-known west coast camera dealer. I'm not sure it even was used but for a few hundred shots, I paid $2,800, sold some included accessories I didn't need - so it ended up costing me $2,650.  By not buying a new M-E, you can use the balance of the money saved to look for a good used Leica lens.  For some nebulous reason, the Leica buying public didn't take to the 262 as well as expected.  Maybe it was the aluminum top plate vs brass?

The 262 is not an M10 but for the price it works very well for me!

• Like 3

Interesting observations re the M262 (which I have). I bought an M10 but somehow did not like using it that much. The M262 has sensible back buttons, I prefer the thickness and there's no wear on the top plate after a couple of years. Battery is of course bigger but high-ISO shows the superiority of the M10. I have been tempted by the shutter sound on the M10-P but for £6500 cannot really justify swapping out the ’262. In fact IQ between the two cameras (262/10) in LR5 showed little or no difference either way.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 10:25 AM, Nachtmsk said:

Hi,

I recently rented an ME(240) and walked around with it for a week with at 35mm f/2 Summicron. Other leica's I own are a Q and M6.

A local camera shop here has a well used M(262) up for sale at 3k - which includes a 50mm 1.5 Zeiss. It's the lens with the (odd) behavior at 1.5 that requires you to back-focus just a hair.

So I'm trying to decide on the  M(262) with the Sonnar or the ME(240) New at 4k.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Is the ME(240) just a modified M(240)?

Thanks
Mike

Since you own an M6 you have some glass already.  Do you need a 50? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/12/2020 at 12:53 PM, microview said:

Interesting observations re the M262 (which I have). I bought an M10 but somehow did not like using it that much. The M262 has sensible back buttons, I prefer the thickness and there's no wear on the top plate after a couple of years. Battery is of course bigger but high-ISO shows the superiority of the M10. I have been tempted by the shutter sound on the M10-P but for £6500 cannot really justify swapping out the ’262. In fact IQ between the two cameras (262/10) in LR5 showed little or no difference either way.

I found it vindicating reading Microview's observations here. I've been reconsidering the M10 for the 262 for exactly these reasons. I do absolutely love the IQ/colors with the M10 as well as it's low-light capability.  After all the years handling the thicker M bodies, I'm used to that and the 262 feels really good in hand what with it's lighter weight. I know that shooting DNG colors can be fine tuned. If I can get good enough low-light response with the M262, I might pick one up.

David

From what I've heard in online comparison recordings, my M262 seems be just as quiet as an M10-P.  When I'm taking a picture, people who are only a few feet away don't seem to take notice of the shutter sound. As for picture quality, I routinely shoot at 3200 and only see banding if I try to boost the shadows in post-processing.

Photoman61, Nice price if it is a clean one. I ended up picking up the 262 I was looking at and so far very pleased.  As Lee mentions it is very quiet, I like the feel of the camera, the lighter weight and files are looking good.

David

• Like 1

Yes the camera is mint looks new it was serviced this past August by Leica cleaned and adjusted. The original receipt was in the box.(5200 US) I consider this a subsidized purchase. I also bought two Leica lenses 50 percent off the new price mint used a 35mm & 50mm Summarit.   I could not be happier with this camera. I came close to buying the new ME 240 which is excellent I really saw no need for the video I have no idea why they put video in an M it really makes no sense at all. Down the line I may try either a Zeiss or Voightlander F1.2 or F1.4 at a fraction of the Summilux price.

• Like 1

I agree regarding the video. I will say that it can be useful to have live view for focusing  90 and 135 lenses but I have little use myself for that feature and have cameras with it. Congrats on the deal you got. Mine was from a private party but I also got a basically new camera at a similar price. The used market for Leica M cameras is a bit soft right now. Good time to buy!

David

1 hour ago, Photoman61 said:

I would think the market may get better now that the 25 percent tariffs are in place, it should help increase the value of used Leica's. I live in the US it would be less expensive for me to fly to Germany to buy a new Leica with a 25 percent tariff added on.

Yes but you’ll pay the tariff upon entry back into the US.