SL2 with Atomos Ninja V setup

kuau

On 8/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, simon_hsn said:

I have found my personal favorite cage for the Leica SL(2): 

https://www.smallrig.com.de/products/smallrig-quick-release-half-cage-fur-panasonic-s1h-2513?_pos=9&_sid=d8bbc0aec&_ss=r

- A half-cage is perfect for me as it allows best access to memory cards and battery, as well as has the best feel (nothing in your way) and as small as possible.

- You can remove the side handle for an even smaller footprint.

- You can easily put the camera into the cage and remove it

- You can mount a monitor and 2-3 additional accessories, e.g. wireless microphones, shotgun, led lights, etc.

In my opinion, the quality you get out of the SL in combination with a Atomos Ninja V (10 Bit 4.2.2) is really good, also for 2020+.

I just wished they would support ProResRaw.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi All,

I purchased this cage for my SL2. I should have paid closer attention as the quick release plate it comes with is incompatible with the SL2 (it has the two integrated metal posts like a video production plate for anti-rotation but they removed the second post hole from the SL2 body so it cannot use the plate). I have searched the smallrig site, but failed to find the correct quick release plate for the SL2. Sorry for the lack of correct technical names for the mounts (i think the cage comes with a Manfrotto 501-type plate). Anyone help with the correct quick release to purchase for SL2 and this half cage?

• Like 1

Hi, 

that is correct, but you can easily fix it. You can just cut off the nob with a flex angle grinder. If you do not have one, bring the plate to any handyman/craftsman, they can do it for you in 2 minutes.

Sorry, I did not specifically mention this issue in my earlier post, but I literally already forgot about it. You will not regret the purchase decision, the cage really is perfect for the SL. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, simon_hsn said:

Hi, 

that is correct, but you can easily fix it. You can just cut off the nob with a flex angle grinder. If you do not have one, bring the plate to any handyman/craftsman, they can do it for you in 2 minutes.

Sorry, I did not specifically mention this issue in my earlier post, but I literally already forgot about it. You will not regret the purchase decision, the cage really is perfect for the SL. 

Thank you for the reply. The cage is remarkably well suited to the SL2. My temporary, and far from perfect, solution on the quick release plate is to use it backwards and rely on the friction lock. I will have to take it somewhere to have the post ground off as you suggested if no other plate exists. I looked hard on the smallrig site and this S1H half cage's quick release plate appears to be bespoke to this one camera cage. The cage itself is fantastic in that, as you noted, you have quick release, battery access, and well placed access to all of the side ports. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while now. Those that have been using the SL2 with a Ninja V have had time to play around. I am guessing that a lot of users have just fallen for the convenience of internal recording, but for those that have continued using the Ninja V, please share your successful setups:

A  Camera Settings

B  Atomos Settings

C  NLE choice and LUT/ Settings

this would really help future community members and SL2 videographers. 

Edited by not12bhere

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, not12bhere said:

It has been a while now. Those that have been using the SL2 with a Ninja V have had time to play around. I am guessing that a lot of users have just fallen for the convenience of internal recording, but for those that have continued using the Ninja V, please share your successful setups:

A  Camera Settings

B  Atomos Settings

C  NLE choice and LUT/ Settings

this would really help future community members and SL2 videographers. 

I’ve used the SL2 with Ninja V for a number of professional jobs since February (mainly weddings and short editorial type stuff), and I don’t think I’d be able to get the same product without the ninja v. Internal recording, as beautiful as it is, just lacks the 60fps required at times, as well as keep battery and memory manageable. What this looks like for me is:

L-Log, externally recorded to ProRes 422 with the Legalize option turned on.  

Shutter angle of 180 degrees as much as possible, with frame rates at either 60fps or 24fps.

I personally use Final Cut to edit, though I do have experience with premiere (very little experience with DaVinci resolve at the moment). I’ve had nothing but smooth editing in FCP, and have used a number of personal favourite LUTs :) Namely the LUTify packs! 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Shutter angle of 180 degrees as much as possible, with frame rates at either 60fps or 24fps.

Same here. I have the SL and fp (no SL2), but I always use the Ninja for monitoring and recording.

The key item is to keep lots of ND filters in your bag, or use variable NDs. That lets you keep the shutter angle at 180 degrees, which means that your shutter speed is twice your frame rate (24 fps = 1/48). Using a narrow shutter angle leads to "jerky" motion, which is not an effect that I like to use too often.

I won't comment too much on NLEs, other than to say that all the major ones (Avid, Premiere, FCP, Resolve) work very well. In often use KDenlive (an open-source editor) for quick work because it's very intuitive and feature-rich. The long-form work that I collaborate on is edited on either FCP or Premiere, depending on the project, and finished in Resolve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, Aaron Daniel said:

I’ve used the SL2 with Ninja V for a number of professional jobs since February (mainly weddings and short editorial type stuff), and I don’t think I’d be able to get the same product without the ninja v. Internal recording, as beautiful as it is, just lacks the 60fps required at times, as well as keep battery and memory manageable. What this looks like for me is:

I personally use Final Cut to edit, though I do have experience with premiere (very little experience with DaVinci resolve at the moment). I’ve had nothing but smooth editing in FCP, and have used a number of personal favourite LUTs :) Namely the LUTify packs! 

Thank you for taking the time to share. Those settings are exactly what I have been using as well. Hopefully others will chime in with some tweaks/other workflows we can all benefit from.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, kuau said:

I just got this from Leica Support in the USA for those who are interested 

Hi Steven,

We have not published a base sensitivity for L Log. However some other input from techs globally seems to point to ISO/ASA 800.

I was told we are working on having a LUT.
The Arri Alexa LUT is what cinematographers are currently using.
I have not used the V but some of the other Atomos recorders have these LUTs onboard.

As far as the battery indication...
I’m sure there will be a fix in firmware.

In the meantime you can power the camera via the USBC port with any battery pack you could charge a tablet with... the battery needs to be in place to complete the circuit but the camera can then run off battery or AC.

Thank you,

Ray”

I love Ray!! 

I used the Ninja Inferno for a few years before I finally got the smaller (better) Ninja V. My biggest question is the compatibility for ProRes RAW. Is it coming and honestly is ProRes RAW even any good?

I have the original SL, Lumix S1 and Sigma FP. The FP does CDNG direct to a Samsung T5 and my tests before full use seem to make this a real joy to use (besides the large files, but there is a software work around that reduces the CDNG to compressed raw). The SL2 never really impressed me with its codecs, but neither does the Lumix S1 currently, hopefully with the firmware update in 2021 it will be closer to the S5 and S1H.

here is my main issue... I like all of us are Leics users. I get the most out of these cameras because I know them and can quickly change settings etc. I’m imbedded in LEICA’s no-nonsense approach to menus and the build. The FP is a quirky little joy, but it’s no Leica. The Lumix is just a damn beast and although there are some benefits — it doesn’t have much my SL  has, plus sorry to say it’s inelegance is frustrating. 

I want to stick to my SL series cameras, really. Why does each have their advantages...  

On 11/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, BernardC said:

Same here. I have the SL and fp (no SL2), but I always use the Ninja for monitoring and recording.

The key item is to keep lots of ND filters in your bag, or use variable NDs. That lets you keep the shutter angle at 180 degrees, which means that your shutter speed is twice your frame rate (24 fps = 1/48). Using a narrow shutter angle leads to "jerky" motion, which is not an effect that I like to use too often.

I won't comment too much on NLEs, other than to say that all the major ones (Avid, Premiere, FCP, Resolve) work very well. In often use KDenlive (an open-source editor) for quick work because it's very intuitive and feature-rich. The long-form work that I collaborate on is edited on either FCP or Premiere, depending on the project, and finished in Resolve.

I’m SL and FP, here is my set-up thoughts on these two cameras in tandem.

the FP needs to use CDNG. The SL should be the base image. 

both couple well with RED or ARRI.

i have NOT had good results mixing them with my Lumix V-Log footage... which seems bizarre, since they are all “L Mount” and an alliance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes they seem to be a bit cryptic when it comes to the pairing with Atomos. I've actually done a test of the new Ninja V firmware and the SL2-S, comparing both internal and external recording:

If anyone is interested, there does seem to be a colour difference, even while applying the same LUT supplied by Leica– which I'm still confused about

Edited by Aaron Daniel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Are there any advantages (IQ wise) of Ninja over SL2 internal, when shooting 24 or 30fps 422 10bit? Do you get the identical results, or Ninja is still superior, because of the codec or any other reason?

You may might find there more: 

In short: the Atomos Ninja makes sense for anyone trying to get the best possible video off the SL2-S. However, the internally recorded 422 video files are not bad at all and, for many use cases, sufficient.

31 minutes ago, hansvons said:

You may might find there more: 

In short: the Atomos Ninja makes sense for anyone trying to get the best possible video off the SL2-S. However, the internally recorded 422 video files are not bad at all and, for many use cases, sufficient.

Hi thanks. I know internal files are not bad, I'm just curious if it's any better if shoot externally 24 or 30fps. I know you cannot shoot 60fps 422 10bit internally. Or longer than 30 min. Or you can apply LUTs on Ninja to see the preview on display. These are all advantages of Ninja, I'm just interested in comparison of 24 and 30 fps in terms of image quality.

Also, I have SL2, not SL2s.

50 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Hi thanks. I know internal files are not bad, I'm just curious if it's any better if shoot externally 24 or 30fps. I know you cannot shoot 60fps 422 10bit internally. Or longer than 30 min. Or you can apply LUTs on Ninja to see the preview on display. These are all advantages of Ninja, I'm just interested in comparison of 24 and 30 fps in terms of image quality.

Also, I have SL2, not SL2s.

My background is strictly in one-person video jobs which include weddings and small run-and-gun/interview shoots, so my answer will be biased towards this type of environment:

When it comes to the IQ, I never really noticed a big difference. I've shot with both the SL2 and SL2-S, and the internal files are wonderful. I've yet to be in a scenario where I regretted shooting internally instead of externally (with all other factors being equal).

Another plus side is that the internal recording seems to colour better if you intend to use Leica's Natural and/or Classic LUT (download available through their website). If you are planning to apply these luts, colour correcting and grading with the internal files seems to render a nicer colour than the ProRes file from the Ninja V right away. But matching colours is definitely doable between internal and external.

To put shortly, unless you plan to use designated LUTs without any further detailed colour correcting, I do not notice any major differences between internal recording and external recording :)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Aaron Daniel

11 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Another plus side is that the internal recording seems to colour better if you intend to use Leica's Natural and/or Classic LUT (download available through their website). If you are planning to apply these luts, colour correcting and grading with the internal files seems to render a nicer colour than the ProRes file from the Ninja V right away. But matching colours is definitely doable between internal and external.

Aaron, are you using the latest firmware on the Ninja? With L-log enabled, internal and external recording match and thus do the LUTs. At least on the SL2-S.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

My background is strictly in one-person video jobs which include weddings and small run-and-gun/interview shoots, so my answer will be biased towards this type of environment:

When it comes to the IQ, I never really noticed a big difference. I've shot with both the SL2 and SL2-S, and the internal files are wonderful. I've yet to be in a scenario where I regretted shooting internally instead of externally (with all other factors being equal).

To put shortly, unless you plan to use designated LUTs without any further detailed colour correcting, I do not notice any major differences between internal recording and external recording :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks, this helps. I totally overlooked these LUTs. Downloaded, this is great!

• Like 1