SL2 with Atomos Ninja V setup

kuau

15 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I picked up my SL2 and Atomos after a year or so, and I see there's still no ProRes Raw. Is it true or I'm missing something? I can shoot in ProRes HQ, but when I switch recording to ProRes RAW on ninja, it says "Not Raw Input".

That's right, no RAW on the SLs (cDNG, ProRes, or BMRAW).

Do you need RAW for a specific project? If so, the Sigma fp and various Panasonic provide that option.

Speaking as someone who has shot several RAW projects in the past 8 years (ever since the Sony FS700 4K RAW upgrade came-out), I find that ProRes HQ is just as good in 99% of cases, and much more convenient. We used RAW because we had shots in remote locations with extreme lighting ratios (inside-to-outside). It caused a lot of bother in post-production. I'm not sure I would make the same choice now, especially since most cameras have better dynamic range than they used to. ProRes RAW is probably the worse of the RAW formats, since it essentially ties you to a FCP workflow, and FCP isn't great at colour correction. Also, not many editors like it, so you end-up converting to ProRes HQ anyway.

7 hours ago, BernardC said:

That's right, no RAW on the SLs (cDNG, ProRes, or BMRAW).

Do you need RAW for a specific project? If so, the Sigma fp and various Panasonic provide that option.

Speaking as someone who has shot several RAW projects in the past 8 years (ever since the Sony FS700 4K RAW upgrade came-out), I find that ProRes HQ is just as good in 99% of cases, and much more convenient. We used RAW because we had shots in remote locations with extreme lighting ratios (inside-to-outside). It caused a lot of bother in post-production. I'm not sure I would make the same choice now, especially since most cameras have better dynamic range than they used to. ProRes RAW is probably the worse of the RAW formats, since it essentially ties you to a FCP workflow, and FCP isn't great at colour correction. Also, not many editors like it, so you end-up converting to ProRes HQ anyway.

Thanks! No need for RAW, I just thought that ProRes RAW is out a long time ago. I just wanted to test it out, but yeah, ProRes HQ is fantastic, and a huge disk space saver comparing to RAW.

If video from SL2 could retail all setting information would be more useful the ProresRAW to me.

There is little benefit or ProresRaw to L-Log if you expose correctly and know how to color in post.

BRAW keeps all the metadata so that when you bring it into Davinci all color and exposure setting are retained.

ProResRaw needs correction for lens distortion, noise reduction, sharpening and color balance .

I wonder how Leica would deal with the heavy lens correction of the 24-90 lens?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, Aaron Daniel said:

I have been using both the S1H full cage and half cage by SmallRig

I've attached photos of the full cage (https://amzn.to/3DBNwFq) where you need to do some metalworking to get the right lug to fit in properly. But once this is done, it fits really well :) (I've attached a photo holding the cage with a top handle and Ninja V as well)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Aaron, what half cage are you using? Smallrig as well? 

looks clean and smart! Like it

6 hours ago, mr.goldfinch said:

Aaron, what half cage are you using? Smallrig as well? 

looks clean and smart! Like it

Yes! I use both the full cage and the half cage from SmallRig (half cage here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1534996-REG/smallrig_ccp2513_quick_release_half_cage.html)

The reason I switch between using the full and half cage is because the full cage does seem a little more stable with larger lenses and an external monitor, but is harder to take the camera out of the cage. On some run and gun shoots, I benefit from quickly taking the camera out of the bulky cage and staying as light as possible; the half cage allows the camera to quickly detach from the cage.

So the pros of the full cage: stable and feels more durable holding the SL2 and any external monitor or follow focus type systems

Pros of half cage: easier to detach the camera for intermittent shooting without a cage with extras attached

Conclusion: I think the ideal cage would be a full cage system for maximum stability and durability connecting extra gear (ie- external monitor, follow focus, potential microphones), while also having a quick-release system for easier detachment of the camera. Since the Leica SL2/s is a wonderful camera for both photo and video, an easily detachable cage would benefit the combo shooter who wishes to easily switch between high quality video shooting and portable photography :)

This is just my take and I know the current S1H cages should suffice for now, but I am eagerly waiting for a dedicated SL2/s cage to come out from SmallRig!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a modified 8Sinn S1H cage on SL2 with bunch of other gear on it, and recently I wanted to shoot a portrait (photograph) with that camera and I needed the hotshoe to put the Profoto Air Remote and it couldn’t slide in because of the cage. It took me half an hour to disassemble everything and put it back. So, yeah, these non-Leica SL2 cages might work in most cases until you find something that doesn’t fit.

But, anyway I’m very surprised that it fits so well, considering that it was designed for a totally different camera. Even the battery opening aligns quite well. Not perfect, but you can swap batteries with the cage on the camera. If anything, I expected that to be blocked and make the cage unusable on SL2.

14 hours ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Yes! I use both the full cage and the half cage from SmallRig (half cage here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1534996-REG/smallrig_ccp2513_quick_release_half_cage.html)

The reason I switch between using the full and half cage is because the full cage does seem a little more stable with larger lenses and an external monitor, but is harder to take the camera out of the cage. On some run and gun shoots, I benefit from quickly taking the camera out of the bulky cage and staying as light as possible; the half cage allows the camera to quickly detach from the cage.

So the pros of the full cage: stable and feels more durable holding the SL2 and any external monitor or follow focus type systems

Pros of half cage: easier to detach the camera for intermittent shooting without a cage with extras attached

Conclusion: I think the ideal cage would be a full cage system for maximum stability and durability connecting extra gear (ie- external monitor, follow focus, potential microphones), while also having a quick-release system for easier detachment of the camera. Since the Leica SL2/s is a wonderful camera for both photo and video, an easily detachable cage would benefit the combo shooter who wishes to easily switch between high quality video shooting and portable photography :)

This is just my take and I know the current S1H cages should suffice for now, but I am eagerly waiting for a dedicated SL2/s cage to come out from SmallRig!

Thanks sir for detailed reply. Make sense! I guess there is no perfect cage. 

actually thinking about getting the Versaframe from SmallRig and mount quick release plate on bottom so can slide camera in and out super quick. 1854 seems just about so will probably have to test it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr.goldfinch said:

Thanks sir for detailed reply. Make sense! I guess there is no perfect cage. 

actually thinking about getting the Versaframe from SmallRig and mount quick release plate on bottom so can slide camera in and out super quick. 1854 seems just about so will probably have to test it. 

that is actually the cage that I 'm using.  It can be configured for full and half cage.  You can use it for camera only or camera plus camera grip, I actually have the RRS arca L plate on the camera all time and use a arca quick release clam on the cage.

4 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

that is actually the cage that I 'm using.  It can be configured for full and half cage.  You can use it for camera only or camera plus camera grip, I actually have the RRS arca L plate on the camera all time and use a arca quick release clam on the cage.

@Photoworks    Oh interesting! Smaller one or the larger one? I’d be interested to see the setup if you feel like sharing a picture!

It seems like a best solution for photographer/videographer if you need to quickly switch around.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, mr.goldfinch said:

@Photoworks    Oh interesting! Smaller one or the larger one? I’d be interested to see the setup if you feel like sharing a picture!

It seems like a best solution for photographer/videographer if you need to quickly switch around.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kondor Blue is coming out with a slide in cage this month or next..

this one is from S1H

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am reposting this everywhere (thanks @Photoworks ) because it is such a great and democratic news for SL2(s) video enthusiasts:

https://www.8sinn.com/8sinn-cage-for-leica-sl2-sl2-s.html

I have their Top handle Pro I use with my modified S1H half cage... this looks good and you could buy 15 for the price of 1 Lockcircle.... its especially bad taste about the latter when you see their prices for other brands. Screw this.

Granted, if you want a base plate for rods and top handle + a few other bits with 8Sinn it will still be a bit pricier than Small rig but still

1 hour ago, Slender said:

I am reposting this everywhere (thanks @Photoworks ) because it is such a great and democratic news for SL2(s) video enthusiasts:

I have their Top handle Pro I use with my modified S1H half cage... this looks good and you could buy 15 for the price of 1 Lockcircle.... its especially bad taste about the latter when you see their prices for other brands. Screw this.

Granted, if you want a base plate for rods and top handle + a few other bits with 8Sinn it will still be a bit pricier than Small rig but still

I am now thinking to buy the 8sinn cage for my other camera. been from one aluminum block it is probably more stable then kondor-blue.

The 8sinn does not have so many mounting points. Do you know if the Smallrig screws system works on the 8Sinn?

I remember tilta has all mounting screws different then everyone else. what a waist of money!.

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

The 8sinn does not have so many mounting points. Do you know if the Smallrig screws system works on the 8Sinn?

I am using my 8sinn topHandle Pro on my SmallRig s1H half cage via the universal 1/4” mounting points + nato rai. You could also use the 3/8 and Arri locating pins for the handle of your choice on the top. I am sure 8sinn will add to this web page their usual companion accessories:  Base plate with 15mm rails, top handles, cable clamp... althought they are pricey because made in E.U....

For some stuff I would recomand to buy the smallrig ny day: nato rails, side/top handles bc they are superb in quality and price if they fit your ergonomic preferences

22 minutes ago, Slender said:

I am using my 8sinn topHandle Pro on my SmallRig s1H half cage via the universal 1/4” mounting points + nato rai. You could also use the 3/8 and Arri locating pins for the handle of your choice on the top. I am sure 8sinn will add to this web page their usual companion accessories:  Base plate with 15mm rails, top handles, cable clamp... althought they are pricey because made in E.U....

For some stuff I would recomand to buy the smallrig ny day: nato rails, side/top handles bc they are superb in quality and price if they fit your ergonomic preferences

thanks

yes smallrig is great and I have lots of stuff from them. I like to mix and mach to what my needs are.

Smallrig was not interesting in making a Leica cage. that is fine, we have choices now.

23 hours ago, Slender said:

Yey! I have a lot of 8Sinn rig accessories that I bought together with my S1H which I sold a year ago and I was about to sell that whole rig, but now I'll probably keep it. Good news!