SL2 with Atomos Ninja V setup

kuau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 15 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

That's a feature called "HDMI Trigger" where the Atomos tells the camera to start recording. Check your Atomos manual, you should be able to turn it off.

You should be able to record internally at a lower quality, like mp4. I don't think it will let you record internally at a lower resolution. That would require twice the processing in the camera (2K and 4K streams).

Thanks. Will try it 😊

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Still wondering if there's a way for the Atomos Ninja to allow L-log recording!

It can. The Atomos records whatever comes out of the HDMI. In other words, if you set the camera to L-Log, it will record L-Log. You can set a viewing LUT on top of that, which "de-logs" the image on the Atomos' screen, but the saved files will not be changed. You will need to tell your NLE to use a LOG LUT as well (or you can make your own transformation if you care to).

Leica has hinted that their L-Log format is intentionally similar to Arri Log (presumably "Log C"). That's great because no NLE that I know of supports L-Log, but they all know about ARRI Log.

I find not to many Log to rec709 LUT's work to well with Leica L-LOG.

Arri LOG C exposure need to 1 1/2 Stop Under.

here are some samples..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xp6DmyRagS15Upa9kmoNG1QBIFsssE8c

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Photoworks
  • Like 2

Aaah I think I've found the reason L-Log footage was not recording properly to the external Atomos Ninja V. There seems to have been an issue with the way Atomos takes full-range data levels of Log footage and treats them like legal range footage. Luckily they just released an update to help with this! I really hope this helps everyone else who was frustrated with this issue ☺️

Video below by Gerald Undone:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello :)

I am using the SanDisk Extreme PRO 300 MB/s 128GB UHS 2 cards. They have issued an error message at the start, but after some several reformatting, they work like a charm.

Regarding using the SL2 with an Atomos Ninja V. Does the 30min recording limit is still active, or is it possible to record longer?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, sebas_ said:

Regarding using the SL2 with an Atomos Ninja V. Does the 30min recording limit is still active, or is it possible to record longer?

Atomos recorders don't have a fixed recording limit. You can keep recording until you run out of disk space, or battery power.

Yes, that’s true. Atomos doesn’t have a time limit on recording. The question is, when you trigger the recording via HDMI, so that the Leica knows that it is recording externally (autofocus),  it doesn’t apply the 30min. I guess that via external recording there should not be a time limit, but I just wanted to make sure, before I hit the buy button on the Atomos. 

There is no value in triggering recording from the camera. The Atomos is just 'seeing' the HDMI monitoring feed, and all recording actions can be done from it. I don't have this set up, but use a BM VIdeo Assist with the SL - it works in this way - no 30 min limit.

Yes it works great! Especially since the 4K warning message with non Leica lenses (Zeiss Milvus EF & Sigma Adapter) is finally not showing up again. Interestingly it does not like SD cards in the camera while recording external too => Warning SD Card too slow. Which is strange as it works without the external recorder. Hopefully a firmware bug as well. 
It seems that Leica would then record both internally and externally(???), which could be useful in special circumstances as a backup, but otherwise yes the Atomos is far better. Regarding triggering in camera, yeah it seems Leica understands it correctly. I’ve played around with a Fuji xt3 way back and there the autofocus system behaved quite differently when the camera was set to record or just „standby“. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, simon_hsn said:

I really like this setup. Do you care to list the items you have used to build this rigg? That would be much appreciated!

This is the cage I am using

Manfrotto Camera Cage (Medium)

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, 

I am using the SL (1) with an Atomos Ninja V. The video posted earlier is indeed correct: Make sure you hit the "Legalize" option when recording, then everything works, not just in L-Log but also in all other modes. This is because the footage is recorded in full-range but some NLEs think they are Legal range, thus the increase in contrast. Despite of this, I would like to see two things: 

- Full support for L-Log on the Atomos Ninja V (analog for support of F-Flog, V-Log, C-Log, etc.) that let's you dial in the correct Gamma and Gamut and view your content as Rec709 as an example (without loading in your own LUT). 

- Official Leica L-Log to Rec709 Lut (and maybe L-Log to Rec2020). Almost any camera manufacturer is offering this, so it would be nice, if Leica could do this, too!

Until then: If anyone has a good working L-Log to Rec709 LUT, I think it would be nice if you consider to share it with the community. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon_hsn said:

Official Leica L-Log to Rec709 Lut (and maybe L-Log to Rec2020). Almost any camera manufacturer is offering this, so it would be nice, if Leica could do this, too!

Leica should also provide ACES IDTs for the SL and SL2. ACES is fast becoming a requirement for small and medium-sized projects.

1 hour ago, simon_hsn said:

Make sure you hit the "Legalize" option when recording, then everything works

Here is a thorough explanation of what "legal" and "extended" actually mean.

http://shootdatapost.com/blog/2012/8/1/arri-alexa-legal-vs-extended.html

It's about ProRes and the (original) Alexa, but it is still relevant.

A few quotes for the TLDR crowd:

Apple specifies that ProRes should be legal range. Our tests have shown that an extended range ProRes file can result in clipping in some Apple programs. However, the difference between legal and extended coding are essentially academic, and will not have any effect on any real world images.

Contrary to popular belief, extended range encoding does not provide a higher dynamic range, not does legal range encoding limit the dynamic range that can be captured. It is only the quantization (the number of lightness steps between the darkest and brightest image parts) that is increased by a marginal amount (about 0.2 bits).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I'm running a workflow of Leica SL2, Atmos Ninja 5 (V10.51), and Adobe Premier (v14.3.1).  Out of interest I've just been looking at the on camera and gamma/L-Log records for 60 seconds.

Both the Ninja and Premier recognize the fps well on these settings.  However, when I try say 120 or 180 fps on FHD/1080p (which records on APS-C), both seem to see 59.94 fps.  Has anyone less tried this/had the same issue?

Maybe the use-case here is to capture a fluttering hummingbird (50-80 wing flaps per second).....  Its a extreme case, but just wondering if anyone has tried what this workflow does when you try going beyond 60fps...  (The 1 m record on 180fps hows 6 min on 1 min actual record, and 4 min on 120fps, so this seems to adjust upwards.  I'm starting to look at the container sizes if I need to adjust up beyond 60 fps, but just wondering if anyone has already tread that path.... and maybe even has some nice hummingbird footage!).

#

Record

On Camera / Regular (GB)

Atoms (ProRes) (GB)

23.98 fps (10Bit) (4K. Full Frame)

29.97 fps (10Bit) (4K, Full Frame)

NA

59.94 fps (8Bit) (4K, Full Frame)

NA

14.42 GB