What kind of SD card you use for Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My SD card scandisk 128gb 150mb/s seem not good, after 1000 shot with this sd card, it start making lag with the camera, can't record images, can't turn off and force to take out battery to reset.

Just wanna to ask you guys what kind of SD you use? how many GB and speed? Brand?

Have you ever try Sony Tough sd card?

In my Leica’s, I use all the cards I ever bought for my Canon, Sony, and now Leica.  I add a new card every year and I now buy and use Sandisk extreme Pro sdcards  which are very reliable.  8, 16, 32 and 64gb.  
you should have no problems, but I always/only format my cards in my camera.  I don’t delete any images in my camera and I don’t put all my images on one card.  Two days shooting and I remove the card and put it away safely until I get home.  I carry about 10 cards.  
I don’t have any reason to use Sony Tough cards.   Too expensive and no advantage.

are you moving cards from one type of camera to another.

did you purchase your Sandisk card from a good shop.  I realise you have been in Vietnam.   There are fake Sandisk cards all over the world and the problems you are having are the problems you would get with a fake card.    Only buy from a reputable camera shop.  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, lucerne said:

In my Leica’s, I use all the cards I ever bought for my Canon, Sony, and now Leica.  I add a new card every year and I now buy and use Sandisk extreme Pro sdcards  which are very reliable.  8, 16, 32 and 64gb.  
you should have no problems, but I always/only format my cards in my camera.  I don’t delete any images in my camera and I don’t put all my images on one card.  Two days shooting and I remove the card and put it away safely until I get home.  I carry about 10 cards.  
I don’t have any reason to use Sony Tough cards.   Too expensive and no advantage.

are you moving cards from one type of camera to another.

did you purchase your Sandisk card from a good shop.  I realise you have been in Vietnam.   There are fake Sandisk cards all over the world and the problems you are having are the problems you would get with a fake card.    Only buy from a reputable camera shop.  

"I now buy and use Sandisk extreme Pro sdcards" The black one right? 

The problem is make fake sd card here and i don't know which one is real.

Sony Tough SD is a good choice since i need a very reliable card and it truly real one.

Sony Tough is not extra reliable.  It’s simply a stronger construction and Sony say you will get a better shot!  (I think that’s just marketing rubbish). If you buy a card from an authorised dealer you would be able to return it if it gives you problem.    You can discover the appearance of genuine Sandisk cards on the web, but the best idea is to only buy from a professional camera dealer.   Many Leica forum members use Sandisk.

Do a web search for

Sandisk extreme pro real or fake

https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards

or order from http://leicavietnam.com

or from a reputable American dealership when you are in the USA.

Your forum profile indicates that you are located in the USA.

Edited by lucerne
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Viv said:

Sandisk Ultra 15mb/sec 8GB in my Q.

Cheap as chips and do the job.

Absolutely right.  Some of my cards are 10 years old but my usual specification  target is 95mb/sec and class10.   The only difference is the speed at which I can offload images to my computer.  I’m almost sure the OP has got a fake card.   He should take it back to the seller if possible. 

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, lucerne said:

Absolutely right.  Some of my cards are 10 years old but my usual specification  target is 95mb/sec and class10.   The only difference is the speed at which I can offload images to my computer.  I’m almost sure the OP has got a fake card.   He should take it back to the seller if possible. 

Thanks lucerne for kind advice.

I'll check another good seller.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, ESS said:

Has anyone tried the SanDisk CFast 128GB with the Q2?

Unless I've misunderstood you, or something new has been launched of which I'm unaware, CFast cards don't fit the Q2, which takes SD cards.I use a SanDisk Extreme PRO 300MBs UHSII 128GB card in my Q2 and have never had buffering issues.

Stephen

22 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

Unless I've misunderstood you, or something new has been launched of which I'm unaware, CFast cards don't fit the Q2, which takes SD cards.I use a SanDisk Extreme PRO 300MBs UHSII 128GB card in my Q2 and have never had buffering issues.

Stephen

Buffering issue : is that cause the camera Freeze and could not turn off, you have to take out the battery?

54 minutes ago, dusuacangmong said:

Buffering issue : is that cause the camera Freeze and could not turn off, you have to take out the battery?

I have never experienced that problem when using the Sandisk card to which I referred so I cannot really explain more clearly what the symptoms of a buffering issue might be. 😀

Stephen

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, T25UFO said:

Another 👍 for Sandisk Extreme Pro UHSII.  I did try Angel Bird AV Pro 64GB 300mb/sec but had many problems with this card, so definitely not recommended for Q2.  It did, however, seem OK with my SL.  Strange!

+1

I primarily use a SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card for my Q-P.  Works fine with buffering and transfer speeds. Other cards with smaller storage capacity, too. I always format my card(s) after each use in my camera.

Edited by Pixeleater

There is some kind of bug in the Q2 when writing to the SD card while the buffer is unloading. I took about 100 images tonight. Slow continuous shutter. Filled the buffer fully several times. When finished I tried downloading to LR. First pass it only found 10 photos on the SD card. I tried again to import and it found most of the images. Around a dozen were only thumbnails with no real image data that would download. My first time to experience this write to SD card failure. I exclusively use Sandisk 64GB, Extrreme Pro UHS-II cards. 300MB speed. Wexlar, we have a problem!!! 

6 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

There is some kind of bug in the Q2 when writing to the SD card while the buffer is unloading. I took about 100 images tonight. Slow continuous shutter. Filled the buffer fully several times. When finished I tried downloading to LR. First pass it only found 10 photos on the SD card. I tried again to import and it found most of the images. Around a dozen were only thumbnails with no real image data that would download. My first time to experience this write to SD card failure. I exclusively use Sandisk 64GB, Extrreme Pro UHS-II cards. 300MB speed. Wexlar, we have a problem!!! 

Yes, we are.

• Like 1

I have 3 Angel Bird 64 sd cards and use them extensively in the  Q2, Sl and CL for the past year. Never a problem with any of them. They are extremely fast and the plastic housing seems higher quality. Iv'e had the plastic break on  Sandisk and Lexar from heavy handling and dropping on my desk multiple times. The physical construction off the Angel Bird is visibly better. 

I use them daily, highly recommended 

1 hour ago, bsmith said:

I have 3 Angel Bird 64 sd cards and use them extensively in the  Q2, Sl and CL for the past year. Never a problem with any of them. They are extremely fast and the plastic housing seems higher quality. Iv'e had the plastic break on  Sandisk and Lexar from heavy handling and dropping on my desk multiple times. The physical construction off the Angel Bird is visibly better. 

I use them daily, highly recommended 

That's interesting.  I bought two Angel Bird 64 UHSII cards (AV Pro 64GB 300mb/sec) primarily to use in the SL and also used them in my M10 even though it doesn't need UHSII cards.  All was fine.  When I bought the Q2 I reformatted the cards in this camera, but the images would not download to my iMac using the internal SD card slot.  The iMac is 5k Retina 27" with 4.2 GHz quad core processor and 32 GB of RAM so there should be no problem with processing speed etc.  There were no thumbnails visible and the computer just froze.

I then tried downloading the same images from the Angel Bird card using a Sandisk USB-C card reader and all was fine.  I thought maybe the iMac's internal card slot was faulty so I had this checked and could not find any problem.  All other cards work fine using the internal card slot - the only problem I have is with the Angel Bird cards AND only when using the Q2

I agree that the construction of Angel Bird cards is very good, but I just don't want to risk losing some good photos, so I haven't used them since.  It's all very puzzling!

12 hours ago, T25UFO said:

That's interesting.  I bought two Angel Bird 64 UHSII cards (AV Pro 64GB 300mb/sec) primarily to use in the SL and also used them in my M10 even though it doesn't need UHSII cards.  All was fine.  When I bought the Q2 I reformatted the cards in this camera, but the images would not download to my iMac using the internal SD card slot.  The iMac is 5k Retina 27" with 4.2 GHz quad core processor and 32 GB of RAM so there should be no problem with processing speed etc.  There were no thumbnails visible and the computer just froze.

I then tried downloading the same images from the Angel Bird card using a Sandisk USB-C card reader and all was fine.  I thought maybe the iMac's internal card slot was faulty so I had this checked and could not find any problem.  All other cards work fine using the internal card slot - the only problem I have is with the Angel Bird cards AND only when using the Q2. 

I agree that the construction of Angel Bird cards is very good, but I just don't want to risk losing some good photos, so I haven't used them since.  It's all very puzzling!

I just check price of the AV 64 300mb is 99$, why don't buy Sony Touch 64 300mb for ~130$ and we have extreme tough sd card?