Happy Zoom Campers Only

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the Vario-Elmar 30-90mm zoom got various negative points, the corners being soft, not being as good after 60mm or so.

At the same time I've seen some stunning photos and some folks recommend it as an essential traveling landscape lens.

This thread purports to collect positive zoom experiences.

If you have good things to say about the zoom, go!:) . if not, forever hold your peace...:)

• Like 2

It is great on the S1! Very useful as a high quality zoom on that body.

It is a great lens on the S as long as you do not need sharp detail at the edge of the frame, particularly on the longer end. All the other characteristics are great. It is really good for portraits, and as long as you can handle the weight of the S and 30-90 together, it would make a good travel lens. It has good ergonomics, a nice lack of color/chromatic aberrations, good bokeh, and I have not noticed any issue with vignetting. There is distortion, but it is not overwhelming. My work tends to bring out the worst in the lens, but I think for many photographers they would never wind up in a situation where it causes a problem. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Stuart Richardson!  I've read through several zoom threads, and saw you as an early adopter at the Red Dot Forum.  It's interesting to see how the initial reactions and expectations, in 2013, were very enthusiastic, and the initial reviews supported that!  I'm planning to try it for travel, and it looks like you can achieve compelling landscapes in good light.  I'm using the 007 so it also should help.  I have the 35+70 for lower light and extreme sharpness as needed.  I'm also reassured by Gordon's note that he sent the zoom to Wetzlar to increase sharpness and they'd improved the lens dramatically.  So that might be an option too if needed.

I demo-ed the S006 and zoom for a week a couple of years ago.  Print quality was excellent given my print sizes and file malleability.  I chose not to buy, however, since the combo was too restrictive for my handheld shooting in other than good light. The S007 and/or tripod use could have alleviated concerns, but neither suited my priorities at the time.  Always best to test, since we all have different needs, preferences and goals.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I demo-ed the S006 and zoom for a week a couple of years ago.  Print quality was excellent given my print sizes and file malleability.  I chose not to buy, however, since the combo was too restrictive for my handheld shooting in other than good light. The S007 and/or tripod use could have alleviated concerns, but neither suited my priorities at the time.  Always best to test, since we all have different needs, preferences and goals.

Jeff

I'm curious why you tested the S006 specifically when the S007 had already been available, Jeff?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I'm curious why you tested the S006 specifically when the S007 had already been available, Jeff?

Dirt cheap...too hard to resist a try.  I may try the S007 (with the 70) if it hits similar prices, but there are also some other great alternatives these days.

Jeff

• Like 1

Setuporg,  I used the 30-90 S lens for my business when it first came available.  My clients really like the results too.  But I found the S primes to be way better in all regards and sold my copy of the zoom.  I later found out from other zoom users were less than happy with the soft edges, etc., and either sold or returned that zoom lens for calibration.  Once optimized/calibrated by Leica the zoom was supposedly better.  In any case, I was a happy camper, but the S primes won hands down.  My S kit today consists of the S007, 24, 30, 45, 70, 120 and 180.  These are all stellar lenses IMO.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

It's great, if you don't want to compare to other brand. It's offer enough of a MF feel to the image but as most have stated, corner and variation in lens quality is not confident instilling. I have owned 2 copies and each of them is different in optic construction quality... don't have AF motor issue though... hahaha, I guess that can be a positive point in the S world.

I think its best feature is the 3 times zoom and compact enough size to be a solo travel lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is at 90mm

• Like 9

Maybe I’ve just got a lucky copy but mine is excellent.

I use it for 70% of my shots now, the 24mm for 25% and the 120mm for 5%.

My original 35mm got zero use and I sold it.

I used to not like zoom lenses back in film days, but they are much better and while outside, one doesn’t have to switch lenses and expose sensors to dust. My travel kit is zoom on, 24mm in backup.

• Like 1

I have had the zoom for the past 5 years and it is my go to lens. 

All zooms are inherently compromises... What you get in portability and convenience, you lose somewhat in IQ. The main issue here is peripheral softening above 60mm. The other issue is that all zooms are slightly different. I went through three of them and David Farkas and Wetzlar were very very patient and supportive but the one I settled on is amazingly sharp and contrasty and as good as the primes IMHO with the exception of the minimal softening above 60mm. My solution is simple.. CROP out the periphery and plan you shot accordingly.

For the record, I use the 24, 43, 70, 1100, 120 and 180 as well. The zoom is about 50% and the rest divided amongst these lenses.

Albert

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Albert -- totally seconding your findings.  My zoom was excellent from the get go and I'm not seeing any losses vs the primes, without looking for them very closely.  The flexibility is refreshing after a few years of primes on M.  I also have now a good complement of S primes and they impose the traditional logic of framing, with the 70 and 100 being light and fast and 35 or 45 being a good medium-wide set.  The 24 is great for many landscapes or many kids shots.  A couple primes and a zoom makes for a reliable three-lens day set.

Add me to the happy zoom campers. The only difference to the primes is that the zoom is not that fast.  So if you want/ need the creative potential of shooting wide open you loose out with the zoom. But otherwise, it’s a great lens. 

Add me to the happy zoom campers. The only difference to the primes is that the zoom is not that fast.  So if you want/ need the creative potential of shooting wide open you loose out with the zoom. But otherwise, it’s a great lens. 

• Like 2