Tri Elmar 28-35-50 UV/IR Filter

photorunner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know if the Leica 49mm IR Filter will cause vignetting on the Tri Elmar 28-25-50? The filter that was recommended for this particular lens before the M8 was the slim version of the 49mm UV filter. The only IR filter available from Leica is the regular one not the slim version. B&H have a 486 IR slim filter but I've read somewhere that the only way to go was with Leica IR filters. Will the Leica normal sized filter cause any problems?

Herb

Get the Leica filter; if you want to use the lens hood (which is the same as the 24 one for version 1) the B&W ones are so large that the hood is very hard/impossible to fit. I don't know if the 2nd version has the same problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Leica standard 49mm UV-IR filter on the Tri Elmar with the M8 and haven't noticed any additional vignetting at any aperture. I suspect the original Leica caution to use a slim filter for full frame camera use was because the front lens is somewhat recessed in it's mount. If I remember correctly they even said you didn't need a lens hood unless you were using filters, the mount acting as the hood.

Bob.

I placed an order with Adorama a few months back when the price was over US$160. The item was out of stock at the time but I just left the order active. I received an email last week that 1 was being shipped to me. When I checked the adorama site, the price had gone down to US$99 so I asked them for a refund. They actually credited my card for US$65 difference. Sadly, there are no more Leica 49mm filters in stock again. I'll be using the one I ordered for my WATE which has a B&H 486 filter installed in John Milich's adapter. The B&H 486 just can't get rid of the corner problem at the 16mm setting.

Herb