Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21: fantastic lens but with a big problem

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi 

I went out for a first shooting with my Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 and I noticed a problem that has messed up a lots of photos.

You can see it in the picture below. The filter on the (Leica-provided) filter holder is causing a reflection of part of the scene that bounces back on the sensor. If I cover the two openings on the filter holder with my finger then everything is ok. Why has the filter holder those two open slots in the first place? Is there a third-party filter holder that is closed and does not causes this problem? For the time being I'll have to use some gaffer tape...

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 12 Minuten schrieb wolan:

Why has the filter holder those two open slots in the first place?

The openings are there for looking through them with the optical viewfinder. So it blocks less of the viewfinder frame, and you can see the effect of a polarizer when using the optical viewfinder.

• Like 1

Just searched via Google and I think I understand your problem now... https://www.foto-koester.de/objektive/filter/244990/leica-filterhalter-e67-fuer-m-1-4/16-18-21?sPartner=Google&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjOWfy9G1hAMVWahoCR0y9QMlEAQYAiABEgIBK_D_BwE

Maybe you could find an appropriate step-up adapter which could serve the same purpose but without openings.

Or maybe you could print a smart cover ring with a 3D printer which could allow to open and close the openings.

Leica filter adapter comes, or used to perhaps, with blocking ring that is inserted inside to cover two elongated holes, lens dates from M8 days so it was necessary to block unwanted light contamination as M8 was sensitive to IR.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:06 PM, W124 said:

I closed these openings simply permanently with some tape to use ND Filters on the WATE.

Btw. there comes a plastic inlay together with the holder 14473, see the pictures

https://www.mkkcamera.com/leica-filter-holder-14473-e67-for-16-18-21-4-0-asph-473/

It works on full frame camera without issues, at least I haven’t seen any.