Should I wait for SL 2 ?

umutfps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, helged said:

The largest difference between SL and S1R, in my view, is IBIS. It works very, very well for hand-hold photography. The ~5 stop longer shutter speed is more than Panasonic selling talk, it is real. 

That is interesting. Throughout my 3 + yrs of SL ownership, I never once missed stabilisation even thought the SL75 & 16-35 comes w/o stabilisation.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

That is interesting. Throughout my 3 + yrs of SL ownership, I never once missed stabilisation even thought the SL75 & 16-35 comes w/o stabilisation.

Two examples (the Nikkor 400mm f2.8E is a biggie...):

1 hour ago, helged said:

The largest difference between SL and S1R, in my view, is IBIS. It works very, very well for hand-hold photography. The ~5 stop longer shutter speed is more than Panasonic selling talk, it is real. 

Great to hear that.

Technically, in body or in lens stabilisation works greatest on longer focal length lenses. On my past experience with SL and 90-280mm. Almost all usage of the lens was used to track moving subjects on 280mm end at F4. I had not once mounted the 90-280 on tripod and had not have shots with motion blur. So either I have been keeping shutter speeds & ISO up enough or the lens stabilisation worked well or both. Come to think about it, my experience had been very positive. I sure hope that the SL2 comes with in body stabilisation. But my hopes are not high.

1 minute ago, sillbeers15 said:

Great to hear that.

Technically, in body or in lens stabilisation works greatest on longer focal length lenses. On my past experience with SL and 90-280mm. Almost all usage of the lens was used to track moving subjects on 280mm end at F4. I had not once mounted the 90-280 on tripod and had not have shots with motion blur. So either I have been keeping shutter speeds & ISO up enough or the lens stabilisation worked well or both. Come to think about it, my experience had been very positive. I sure hope that the SL2 comes with in body stabilisation. But my hopes are not high.

Without any information whatever ;) - my feeling is that Leica may surprise us with IBIS in SL2... 

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb helged:

Totally agree! IBIS is of great relevance not only for long focal lenghts... Working with S1 & Apo SL 75 (and SL 35)  was an astonishing experience to me. The results @ 1/30, 1/60 and even 1/125 sec. were visibly sharper than with my SLs... Even longer shutter speeds as 1/15 or 1/8 sec. (!!!) were possible without any problems. Ok -I suppose my hands are a bit "shakily" 😀. So, for me, the upcoming SL2 MUST have IBIS. The good news is: the SL2 WILL have IBIS😲...

• Like 3

The discussion above on reasons for stabilization seems confused.  Generally OIS is used for longer focal lengths because IBIS isn't sufficient to undo the image movement caused by wiggling a telephoto, and those long tubes have room for extra hardware.  But OIS can only correct for pitch and yaw.  Adding bank corrections (rotation about the axis of the lens) requires IBIS.  So IBIS is potentially more powerful than OIS but restricted to a smaller range of focal lengths.  And IBIS + OIS is the best of all, with each component correcting the part they do best.  It's unfortunate that the S1R can only do OIS or IBIS but not both with lenses not made by Panasonic.  It's probably not controlled in the L-mount spec, thus requires further business and technical cooperation between the two companies.  But it doesn't sound impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Like most of these things, until you have it, and regularly use it, you don't realise what you have been missing. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

On 8/1/2019 at 4:29 AM, sillbeers15 said:

A patient wait for SL2 , cause I sold my SL last weekend after 3+ years of use. 

Resisting hard against picking up an S1R before SL2 arrives.

I have the SL and the S1R and I think the S1R is an amazing camera. I would assume that the SL2 will have a lot of the technology/features  you find in the S1R, but with the user interface of Leica.

2 hours ago, MaBu said:

I have the SL and the S1R and I think the S1R is an amazing camera. I would assume that the SL2 will have a lot of the technology/features  you find in the S1R, but with the user interface of Leica.

I am a satisfied SL user.

I specific look forward to AF tracking improvements  in SL2 & S1R.

I have made up my mind to pick up the SL2 and I can see it having all the features in S1R plus the unique Leica user interface less the Panasonic/Olympus flash protocol.

I sold my SL now for two reasons. One is I do not like to keep camera bodies around which I do not forsee using them. Second intention is to swap for a S1R which I can keep it even when SL2 comes, provided I can use the Profoto, Elinchrome & Godox transmitters fully compatible on the S1R.

21 hours ago, helged said:

Two examples (the Nikkor 400mm f2.8E is a biggie...):

I can agree that IBIS is a very useful feature and it works well at especially low ISO and shutter speeds w/o tripod.

Help me to understand why you struggle to use a 400mm f2.8 Canon lens on a good for nothing AFC tracking plus slow focus S1R (There will be no DFD database for non L mount lenses to aid CDAF focusing speed) on handheld shooting (handheld advantage is on flexibility to move camera freely)?

I would think a Canon PDAF DSLR or EOSR would be a perfect camera to use instead in your case.

My rational for sticking to L mount cameras because I only use SL lenses. Therefore there is incentive for me to optimise the camera settings, select lighting condition rightly and practise BIF more to make up for the lack in best in class AF offered by L mount cameras. 

I must be missing something here?

Edited by sillbeers15

11 hours ago, MaBu said:

It will be interesting if the SL2 has a similar high resolution mode, given the one in the S1R adds a very noticeable improvement in image quality (no false colour, no moire, less noise, and higher resolution) that works especially well for tripod-mounted scenes like landscapes and architecture.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, panoreserve said:

Totally agree! IBIS is of great relevance not only for long focal lenghts... Working with S1 & Apo SL 75 (and SL 35)  was an astonishing experience to me. The results @ 1/30, 1/60 and even 1/125 sec. were visibly sharper than with my SLs... Even longer shutter speeds as 1/15 or 1/8 sec. (!!!) were possible without any problems. Ok -I suppose my hands are a bit "shakily" 😀. So, for me, the upcoming SL2 MUST have IBIS. The good news is: the SL2 WILL have IBIS😲...

it better have ibis and eye AF up the wazoo to compete with sony - I really hope it does, but being leica we'll see it in 2022 and it will be unobtainable …… 

On 8/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, helged said:

Thanks. I really look forward to IBIS on S1R & SL2.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, helged said:

Without any information whatever ;) - my feeling is that Leica may surprise us with IBIS in SL2... 

Auto focus for M lenses as well maybe...................Im waiting for one