ELMAR M F2.8 CAN IT BE COLLAPSED ON CL BODY

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the newer Elmar M which I use on an M9 and also on the Cl . However I have never collapsed the lens on the Cl ,for fear of damaging the sensor .

I do get mixed reports /advise about retracting being safe or not .  The one standout point is NEVER MOUNT THE LENS IN A RETRACTED STATE .

Does anyone have any advise for me .  CAN I RETRACT THE ELMAR M 50 MM SAFELY ON A LEICA CL DIGITAL

Many thanks

Ishrath Rajab

What I'd do:

• Fit the lens to the the M Adapter L mount adapter, off the camera.
  • Collapse the lens slowly and watch that no part of the lens hits any part of the mount adapter. 
  • If the rear element does not protrude past the mount adapter's flange, it won't run into anything in the body of the camera.

(Ideally, I'd want the rear most part of the lens to be about a half mm inside the mount adapter flange.)

I don't know what Leica's compatibility statement for the M Adapter L on the CL is officially ... I've hunted and can't find a document that describes it. 

34 minutes ago, jankap said:

Caution, there are 2 CL cameras. The CL of the seventies was the camera from Minolta. Film, no sensor.

Yes i know the advice for the film CL is still relevant for the digital CL.

9 hours ago, ramarren said:

What I'd do:

• Fit the lens to the the M Adapter L mount adapter, off the camera.
  • Collapse the lens slowly and watch that no part of the lens hits any part of the mount adapter. 
  • If the rear element does not protrude past the mount adapter's flange, it won't run into anything in the body of the camera.

(Ideally, I'd want the rear most part of the lens to be about a half mm inside the mount adapter flange.)

I don't know what Leica's compatibility statement for the M Adapter L on the CL is officially ... I've hunted and can't find a document that describes it. 

Thank you.  I’ll give it a try 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have that lens too  ( It's lovely and sharp and I'll never sell it ) so will be interested to hear how you get on as I'm about to buy a CL and was wondering about this too.

Please post about your experience with it.  It's on Leica's list of compatible lenses for the M adaptor so I assume it would be ok.

10 minutes ago, 2M6TTLs said:

It's on Leica's list of compatible lenses for the M adaptor so I assume it would be ok.

It is compatible but cannot be retracted fully on the CL. Great lens otherwise. I have one in my CL bag since the launch of the camera.

6 hours ago, 2M6TTLs said:

I have that lens too  ( It's lovely and sharp and I'll never sell it ) so will be interested to hear how you get on as I'm about to buy a CL and was wondering about this too.

Please post about your experience with it.  It's on Leica's list of compatible lenses for the M adaptor so I assume it would be ok.

It is actually fantastic on the CL , i will post a few photos in awhile .  If it retracted fully , that would make an awesome travel kit

• 2 weeks later...

I have the lens and took some pictures.

The first shows the lens full extended on the CL - it really doesn't stick out that much.

When fully retracted, it's about 4mm past the adapter (middle photo) so I wouldn't use or mount it full retracted.

When it's retracted to be flush with the adapter, the lens sticks out very slightly. But you can't safely guesstimate this when mounting lens unless you stick a tape to prevent it full retracting (sounds ridiculous).

It's a great lens on the M or the CL, I would mount/carry it fully extended all the time, or if one must really want super compactness: carry CL and lens separately (full retracted) until need to use (then remember not to mount when fully retracted).

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, g2van said:

Here are the abovementioned photos

I don't see any photos. But if the back of the lens extends past the mount adapter when fully retracted, that's enough to know that it should never be fully retracted when mounted on the CL. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm having so many problems uploading. Hope this works now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Piece of strap on my M6J's 50/2.8 for use on both Epson R-D1 and digital CL:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, 2M6TTLs said:

I most certainly will.