Coming back to Leica - Much needed advise please

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Flyer said:

I have been a photographer for over 40 years and like many have seen the changes in technology from film to digital etc. I have owned many cameras both DSLR and mirrorless, but only the Fujifilm Xpro2 gave me that fulfilment, and when I say fulfilment it was the only camera that felt like a tool to create images. All other cameras just felt like a piece of electronics and for me are designed to capture the moment instantaneously and without much creativity and engagement from the photographer.  I had a brief spell 2 years ago with the Leica SL with M lenses and felt that although a very nice camera, it was very heavy and bulky, especially with the 24-90.

So here I am in early 2019, retired at the age of 58 and now have the time to be more considered about my hobby, hence the interest again in Leica.

Now I have a limited budget and will still retain my Nikon D850 and long lens for nature and wildlife.

The Leica (whichever model) will be pure indulgence and only used for travel/memories, so I will only be using two of the cheaper Leica lenses - a 50mm and a 28mm.

I have a few question that I am hoping the experienced Leica people will be able to assist me with.

1.  I guess a Q would meet my needs but I have a feeling I would sell it after a few months as I wouldn't want to be restricted by a fixed lens. But I think the transition from Mirrorless/DSLR's may be easier with a Q than a rangefinder?

2. The difference in the UK between an M10 and M240 isn't significant but I never use video,  would you buy the M240 and allow more funds for better lenses, or the M10 with cheaper lenses.

3. How difficult is it to achieve accurate focus on a rangefinder, having never used one is their a steep learning curve?

4. My only trepidation is the move to OVF with manual focus, although I have a feeling I will enjoy the process how long do you feel it would be before I start to be able to zone focus and enjoy the process?

I am excited about having a Leica but unsure about the jump from - Image stabilised and highly accurate auto focus etc etc.

Many Thanks In Advance

Flyer

1. The essence of Leica is M... not really the glass cause IQ is easily matched by other offerings these days. M is the essence. The comfortable assimilation between analogue and digital, I think that's the only reason to ever use Leica.

2. Like you said, the difference is small.... so why  not buy the latest. Beside the feel of the body dimension does make a difference.

3. easy, with practice. But as all things mechanical, it need maintenance and adjustment from time to time.

4. It's not as hard as it seems. And the process is actually the appeal of using an M

Going by what you have written and that is the you would use the M as "a pure indulgence"  - then you understand exactly what you are buying into - and don't need to be told that there are many many alternative camera types that make it easier to get an image of the same quality as made by an M or better.

As far as M's go the M10 is the best digital version of the camera released ( except for the CCD files delivered by M9  when used in fat light conditions ) - I found the previous model to be a tad too wide in the hand by comparison and the viewfinder in the M10 is better. The EVF attachment is very ordinary compared to the CL and SL viewfinders - but works well enough to focus say a Noctilux wide open, much better than the rangefinder can and therefore offers an amount of comfort and versatility that many appreciate  - it also provides the advantage of more accurate framing if that is an issue.

For travel and general purpose shooting - for no great expense consider a very wide lens from Voigtlander matched to either a 35 or 50 Summicron - no need to buy new Leica M lenses unless you are so inclined - pretty much any Leica M lens ever made is capable of producing outstanding imagery.

.1  I guess a Q would meet my needs but I have a feeling I would sell it after a few months as I wouldn't want to be restricted by a fixed lens. But I think the transition from Mirrorless/DSLR's may be easier with a Q than a rangefinder? The transition is the transition. U can go directly and save the $$$$

2. The difference in the UK between an M10 and M240 isn't significant but I never use video,  would you buy the M240 and allow more funds for better lenses, or the M10 with cheaper lenses. The M10 is a better camera.. It is worth every farthing ( and that is a lot of farthings...) I had the M240 and there is a significant difference.

3. How difficult is it to achieve accurate focus on a rangefinder, having never used one is their a steep learning curve? Everyone is different. Here I would borrow a friends RF and use it. In my experience the transition is seamless BUT a few people, including my wife (who has the Q) were never able to master the RF.

4. My only trepidation is the move to OVF with manual focus, although I have a feeling I will enjoy the process how long do you feel it would be before I start to be able to zone focus and enjoy the process? Borrow the camera and see for yourself!

• Thanks 1

If you don't have the possibility to borrow or rent a digital M to test if you like the OVF/rangefinder or not, you may be able to find some other old film rangefinder to try out. In the 70s, before AF was invented, there were a lot of fixed lens rangefinders produced by several companies. They are, of course, not the same as a Leica M, but the focussing principle is the same.

After that, if you are still not sure if you want to pay all that money for an M10, you can always buy a used M9 that has had the sensor replaced first. It is much cheaper and will give you a pretty good Leica M experience. Another alternative is a film M, e.g M6 or M7, but newer ones in good condition are not that much cheaper than a used M9.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in a very similar situation to you, just a year into retirement, a year older.

My basic retirement kit has been a 28 and 50 mm lens, and the M10P. No regrets. I should add that I had for a couple years the M240, and an M9, but the M10 (&P) are a different level. The quiet shutter of the P, if you are in and around people makes a difference.

A lot of good advice above, consistent with the conclusions I have come to for me.

One thing I would not suggest you to do is to buy an M body and lenses, and then when you receive it just take some quick shots wide open (like with a Noctilux) and show your wife or kids... a recipe for disappointment..... Get a couple good test shots to show with your lens a couple stops down before going wild, understand the viewfinder and focus, then give it a serious wide open go.......

The renting or borrowing comments is good advice. I have lent some of my kit to friends for a couple days, all ended up becoming Leica customers with a couple lenses.....all either 28/50 combo or 35/50 combo.

Good luck with what ever you decide, you most probably will not be disappointed.

• Like 1