Storing a Leica MP240 in a car trunk at -5C/23F temperature

Manuela99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am headed to the mountains for some snowboarding this weekend.  I was wondering if anybody have any advice on how to best store my MP240 in my car trunk while I am out all day skiing in order in order not to cause battery drainage and any damage to the camera.   The temperature should not go below -5C/23F.

German: Ich werde dieses Wochenede skifahren gehen und muss leider meine MP240 den ganzen Tag im Kofferraum meines Auto lassen, aber nur tagsueber bei ca. -5C. Ist das ein Problem fuer die Kamera und die Batterien, oder sollte ich diese in eine bestimmte Weise lagern?

Thank you for any feedback!

When you switch the camera completely off, there will be no battery drainage. So you can keep it in a bag(*) and be good.
When taking the camera into a warmer environment, let it warm up very gently to avoid condensation especially inside the camera.
Best is to let it warm up in its bag(*) then the whole process will be gently enough.
I never had issues in warm & cold weather conditions with my digital Leica's.

Enjoy the weekend! Maarten

(*) there are already various topics on which bag for exactly which purpose 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manuela99 said:

I am headed to the mountains for some snowboarding this weekend.  I was wondering if anybody have any advice on how to best store my MP240 in my car trunk while I am out all day skiing in order in order not to cause battery drainage and any damage to the camera.   The temperature should not go below -5C/23F.

German: Ich werde dieses Wochenede skifahren gehen und muss leider meine MP240 den ganzen Tag im Kofferraum meines Auto lassen, aber nur tagsueber bei ca. -5C. Ist das ein Problem fuer die Kamera und die Batterien, oder sollte ich diese in eine bestimmte Weise lagern?

Thank you for any feedback!

Why not take the camera with you? It would be very surprising if you would not encounter fantastic photo opportunities on the way. I always take my camera with me on the slopes. 

I had a similar question before when I travel to hot/moist India climate.  My finding tells me it's ok to stay in hot/cold but better avoid sudden temperature fluctuations, remember your glasses fog up when walking into a cold place from hot outdoor or vice versa?  The bad thing is condensation of moisture when temperature spike and you don't what that in your LENS and the M.  Other than that, I am sure your user manual will give you an idea what are the safe temperature range for your MP240. 

By the way, what is the license plate number of your car?  I will stop by... 🤣

Edited by jaeger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bears don't freeze in the Arctic because they have layers of fat covered by a huge fur coat. They hibernate as well but that is a different matter as that is more to do with availability of food.

Insulation is the key. Layers of insulation can find a camera, suitably layered, retain an ambient temperature way above outdoor thermometer readings.

The same applies in the equatorial regions. Insulation can keep equipment cool when it is swelteringly hot outside.

Bubble wrap is horrible plastic waste that will kill whales. Reuse it to keep cameras cooling summer and warm in winter. It is one of the finest insulators available. Just dispose of it sensibly after use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Bears don't freeze in the Arctic because they have layers of fat covered by a huge fur coat.

As a high altitude, arctic kind of dog i add that some of us, me included along with polar bears, have two coats of fur and the inner and longer is such that it pipes sunlight to under our outer coat. Solar power! True.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Bears don't freeze in the Arctic because they have layers of fat covered by a huge fur coat. They hibernate as well but that is a different matter as that is more to do with availability of food.

Insulation is the key. Layers of insulation can find a camera, suitably layered, retain an ambient temperature way above outdoor thermometer readings.

The same applies in the equatorial regions. Insulation can keep equipment cool when it is swelteringly hot outside.

Bubble wrap is horrible plastic waste that will kill whales. Reuse it to keep cameras cooling summer and warm in winter. It is one of the finest insulators available. Just dispose of it sensibly after use.

she only does it only for handbags and shoes, but not a camera.  sorry...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:20 AM, Maarten said:

When you switch the camera completely off, there will be no battery drainage. So you can keep it in a bag(*) and be good.
When taking the camera into a warmer environment, let it warm up very gently to avoid condensation especially inside the camera.
Best is to let it warm up in its bag(*) then the whole process will be gently enough.
I never had issues in warm & cold weather conditions with my digital Leica's.

Enjoy the weekend! Maarten

(*) there are already various topics on which bag for exactly which purpose 😉

Thank you for your feedback Marteen. I had a great weekend in the mountains and no problems with my MP240.

Edited by Manuela99

On 1/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, jaeger said:

I had a similar question before when I travel to hot/moist India climate.  My finding tells me it's ok to stay in hot/cold but better avoid sudden temperature fluctuations, remember your glasses fog up when walking into a cold place from hot outdoor or vice versa?  The bad thing is condensation of moisture when temperature spike and you don't what that in your LENS and the M.  Other than that, I am sure your user manual will give you an idea what are the safe temperature range for your MP240. 

By the way, what is the license plate number of your car?  I will stop by... 🤣

Thanks for the suggestions Jaeger.  Hope you enjoyed the slopes as well ;)

On 1/11/2019 at 1:35 AM, jaapv said:

Why not take the camera with you? It would be very surprising if you would not encounter fantastic photo opportunities on the way. I always take my camera with me on the slopes. 

I would if it was lighter and smaller, not that it is huge, but I am not carrying a backpack on my back while snowboarding.  That's when the cell phone camera comes in handy ;)