Buying advice Leica M Summicron 28mm 2 ASPH v1

Tanndoktorn

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:47 PM, lct said:

Different experience here. I'd struggle to notice significant differences between my Summicron 28/2 (v1 or v2) and my Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 resolution wise. I could even think that the Summicron is the winner at f/2.8 but i would need to do side by side comparos to be sure. I have never used larger sensors than 24MP with those lenses though. FWIW. 

I use Summicron 28 V1 almost exclusively for half a year now.

I experienced strange behaviour. At near focus distance Cron tend to produce vibrant, "sharp", 3D photos. At mid-focus distance and  infinity the rendering is different. Somehow less sharp, not so vibrant, mushy...

I considered Ict comment regarding sharpness and tested the lens at different apertures. Then I pixelpeeped photos and realised they are indeed sharp. I observed strange effect. Photos of landscape were mushy but the crop of the same photo (magnification) suddenly appeared "sharp". So my conclusion is:

Cron 28 is sharp lens optimised for people, street etc --> very nice rendering, 3D effect, vibrant sharp photos, beautiful BW rendering.

Cron 28 is not the best lens for landscape photography --> sharp but somehow not optimal rendering for this kind of photography. Elmarit is IMHO opinion a better landscape photography tool. This is just my non-scientific observation. I'm pretty sure other users may have different experience with this lens regarding landscape contrasty scenery.

I have a question for you guys- Leica enthusiasts, can anyone compare SEM 21 flare resistance and infinity rendering against Elmarit or Cron 28 ASPH?