Buying advice Leica M Summicron 28mm 2 ASPH v1

Tanndoktorn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! This is my first post here on the Leica Forum.

I have recently fallen in love with the Leica SL and my SL-lenses (I have the 24-90mm, a 50mm Summilux and the 90mm APO-Summicron).

I  plan to buy a M10 to explore the "M-feeling" with my M-lenses and I would like to buy a 28mm to use as my main walkaround lens.

(I have a Super-Elmar 18mm, a Summilux 35mm ASPH pre FLE, a Noctilux 0.95 50mm and a APO Summicron 75mm wich performs excellent on my SL)

I have read several reviews and opinions regarding the differences between the Summicron M 2.0 28mm v1 and the Summicron M 2.0 28mm v2.

Most reviews states the v2 as conciderably sharper and thereby "better".

The question is:

I would obviously like the expensive Summilux M 1.4 28mm, but I'm trying to convince myself that a smaller and lighter lens like the summicron would be nicer as a travel/walkaround lens.

I also like the rendering of my pre FLE 35mm summilux very good, and I don't wish for more sharpness as the later version of this lens offers (at least not until I've tried one 🙂)

Do I need to be worried about the 28mm Summicron v1's sharpness, or does it compare to the nice rendering of my pre FLE 35mm Summilux?

The price is very nice on the v1 version, and I can't find a used v2 at a comparable good price.

B 🙂

"Sharpness" in general is not the real issue. The first version of the 1:2/28mm Summicron asph is a very sharp lens, even fully opened - when you look at the center of the frame.

The difference between the two versions may become more obvious if you look at the edges - especially on sensors which are not fully optimized for M-lenses. So with an M-body there might be some differences between versions - but none as decisive to rule out the first version.

If one uses it on a SL-body - with a sensor not especially designed for M lenses - this might be different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

"Sharpness" in general is not the real issue. The first version of the 1:2/28mm Summicron asph is a very sharp lens, even fully opened - when you look at the center of the frame.

The difference between the two versions may become more obvious if you look at the edges - especially on sensors which are not fully optimized for M-lenses. So with an M-body there might be some differences between versions - but none as decisive to rule out the first version.

If one uses it on a SL-body - with a sensor not especially designed for M lenses - this might be different.

Thank you:

Maybe I should rephrase:

Can anyone recommend the v1 Summicron M 28mm as a "keeper"?

Is it excellent, or just "good"? 

As our meaning of "good" or "excellent" may differ, I can talk only as Summicron-M 2/28mm for some years now on different Ms.

- good for me if my subjects of picture are with volume (3D), like portrait in environment or urban view

- with flat subjects, if I want good images, close to F/2.8 or f/4 may be good idea to overcome field curvature

- this lens is a good/even excellent for f/2 lens for me (I use also other 28mm, Elmarit-M asph., Summaron-M, M-Hexanon, and more...), very compact/light for f/2 and 28mm lens

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tanndoktorn said:

Thank you:

Maybe I should rephrase:

I read several time, including LUF, what this lens isn't much different from Ultron 29 1.9 ASPH. Which is under 500$ lens and has removable focus tab...

Just as with any regular focal length, 28 has broad definition of keepers based on personal choice.

It is Winogrand's FL. And he started with Canon LTM 28mm lenses and lately switched to huge Canadian Elmarit 28.

I have seen his prints and I made prints same way he did. From negatives taken by Canadian Elamrit-M 28 III.

Prints are very special on rendering. And on digital M this lens was true Leica lens, not a Leitz retro.

But it was so huge, the amount of lost visible information in VF was problematic. Any lens of this size, Ultron, Summicron does the same.

The only way of dealing with it is external viewfinder. Or get smaller lens.  But then, again, I read to many threads about problems with Elmarit 28 ASPH and Zeiss second name is wobble. If you are using lens as true keeper. If it is to be shelf queen then should be a problem. Lenses only worn out if in use. :).

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, Tanndoktorn said:

Thank you:

Maybe I should rephrase:

I have the v1 and it's a keeper to me but I have not used a v2.  Here is an article comparing the two.  http://www.slack.co.uk/leica-m-resolution.html.  There apparently is a "large" improvement but it would not move the needle for my practical purposes.  Good luck.  

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the v1 for some time first on film and then digital. I purchased the v2 and used that for colour and the v1 for the MM1, on acquiring a M10 I did a comparison of the two lenses and to my surprise the v1 was certainly better around the edges, I preferred the handling too of the v1, the aperture ring was not so loose, the larger hood does not bother me as I am so used to it. I have sold the v2. I have since learnt that there are some poor copies of the v2 and mine must have been one, so do test the lens if you plan to get one.  Either version is very good.

• Like 2

While 28mm is not the most important FL for me, I have been very happy with the v1 Summicron and have no intention of paying to 'upgrade' it. I have tried (one copy) of the v2 and could see only a minor difference in favour of the newer lens. OTOH, what is minor to me could of course be 'life redefining' to others. In any case, I tend to be fairly fussy, but this upgrade is not one I'm interested in. My 28v1 is a keeper.

• Like 2

The 28/2 v1 was the first Leica lens I bought, and it stayed 7 years. It's very usable wide-open when, naturally, the corners are softer than the centre. It tends to flare a bit with just-out-of-view lights, so use a lens hood (the one supplied is fine, but has rather small lugs for attachment to the lens).

If you're tempted to have look at one, be sure to check for 'front wobble' - gently hold the rear half of the lens and see if the front moves in relation to this. Although still usable (i.e. images will still be sharp) when the movement is small, it will get worse (images very unsharp!) and need factory repair; mine succumbed twice while I had it. The v2 has apparently solved this problem; if there had been a permanent fix to the v1, I would have kept it. (The latest 28/2.8 Elmarit was its replacement, and image-quality wise for my purposes more than adequate - I don't miss the wider aperture, and the lens is smaller).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tanndoktorn said:

Thank you:

Maybe I should rephrase:

On the M it is definitely a keeper.  On the SL v2 will be MUCH better.

The best walkaround/travel lens for a Leica M is the CV 28mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar, if you can find one. The best lens is probably the Summicron V.2 or Summilux, but just as the CV can match the V.1 Summicron at all the usual apertures so the V.1 can match the V.2 at the usual apertures, so it's a question of how far to push the extremes which is not usually a necessity of a good travel lens.

For most people I don't think there is much point in upgrading from the V.1 unless you are regularly going to need supreme corner sharpness or regularly need a faster lens in the Summilux. And let's face it, if you have to make a point of how sharp your corners are then maybe you've missed the shot anyway. And for the Summilux, well as a travel lens it's a big lump, you can't pocket it while on the camera like using the CV 28mm Skopar, and it comes into it's own while walking around dark city streets and alleyways while wondering if you turn around to the footsteps following it will be a photo opportunity or................

Edited by 250swb

I own Summicron 28 v1. It is the best walkaround lens I ever had. Small, perfect near focus performance. At f2 is already very good. Can be used indoor, outdoor, for portraits, events,... I like it so much that I concequently completelly abandonded 35mm lenses (I used to own ZM Distagon 1.4).

As per resolution: indeed it is inferior to Elmarit ASPH (IMHO). BUT unless you will make crops or very very big prints, you will not notice it.

Keeper and always on my M-E.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cobram said:

As per resolution: indeed it is inferior to Elmarit ASPH (IMHO). BUT unless you will make crops or very very big prints, you will not notice it.

Different experience here. I'd struggle to notice significant differences between my Summicron 28/2 (v1 or v2) and my Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 resolution wise. I could even think that the Summicron is the winner at f/2.8 but i would need to do side by side comparos to be sure. I have never used larger sensors than 24MP with those lenses though. FWIW. 

• Haha 1

Hello OP, I was in the exact same situation 1.5 months ago. i had wanted a 28 fir a while, and i just couldnt buy the newest 28mm asph beacuse 4k is way to much. 

I found the v1 for a decent price (priced as if it werent 6-bit coded but it was). The lens is now always on me, although im still learning the focal lens it is sharp and contrasty in all the right ways, i have a 50 v5 cron and a 35 cron V don't remeber which. They both render less sharply than the 28! For the price it is unmatched and my reasoning was you are buy a 4k lens for 1.8k just because it's a little older. If you have the money buy the v2, if not the v1 is plenty and you don't notice the sharpness differeence unless you have them side by side. I will say, make sure to get the 6-bit just because it makes it easier. ! 

Other than that don't get the Elmarit ... it is amazing, it is tiny ... but you know you will always wonder what it would have been like to have the cron!

#teamcron

• Like 1