Creating Settings To Match Specific Film?

S.Rolf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like most of the “old-timers”, I came to the digital world via 35mm film. 

Can anyone recommend a book/source that will instruct me in getting the best results from an M 10-like camera?

I know this sounds incredibly remedial, but when I was shooting film (using an R7 Leica) I shot using Fujifilm Velvia and Provia

I loved the saturation and overall performance of that film.  

Basically, can I create settings in order to best match those film profiles without fiddling in Post/Photoshop?

Thanks 

Edited by S.Rolf
Spelling

Use Nik Suite as a Photoshop plugin. In Color Efex you have many named colour films to choose from and likewise in Silver Efex you have the B&W films. All you do is open the plugin which imports your picture and you run through the list until you find a film profile that you like, but you can of course alter brightness and contrast and colour balance as well to fine tune the image. You can tune the simulated grain from zero to heavy, as well as independently add grain to an image without using a film profile. The settings you eventually prefer can be saved or set to default for each subsequent image.

Edited by 250swb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can produce your own profiles in Lightroom or use Nik filters. Leica is, perhaps, a bit behind the game as other manufacturers such as Nikon and Fujifilm produce profiles ( eg Velvia for Fujifilm, it is their product after all) which come up automatically in the profiles section in Lightroom for their image types (NEF and RAF) and they can be chosen by the user. There are also a lot of black and white profiles made available in Lightroom by other manufacturers. I would like to see Leica tackling this issue as it is all 'part of the game' in modern post processing.

William

You're gonna have to engage with some degree of post processing, unless with "M-10 like" you mean you'd be open to shooting Fuji cameras and using their JPG profiles that are made to emulate their films.

But whether you go with VSCO or any other film emulating digital presets - it's not going to fully echo film - there is more to it than color and contrast and trying to match them - you will never be able to accurately replicate how a film changes colors under changing light etc. If that particular film stock look is completely integral to the work the best bet is to use the real thing. Digital offers many advantages, and if you don't take advantage of them, and if you want pictures to look like film it is a frustrating endeavor. 

Most people find some presets they like in Lightroom and go from there. The only ones I know who aren't happy with their options are the ones who still want to be shooting actual film. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2018 at 7:29 AM, digger1914 said:

You can purchase film styles (or find some for free) for processing your RAW files.

For example, if you were using Capture One a site like this is good

http://1styles.pro/

A quick Google of "Lightroom Film Styles" shows a lot of stuff

Thanks very much for this.  As a Capture One user they look really good, and decent value too, unlike Phase One’s own style packs!

I gave up on Nik after Google bought them out and changed the update mechanism to a persistent background process, then effectively abandoned it anyway.  I also disliked how they never bothered to unify the software so you had to use a bunch of different applications just to access different filter sets!

Besides, the CO styles allow me to stay in the one program, and because they use Capture One’s tools and algorithms they should (theoretically) offer maximum quality and performance, or at the very least better integration and abilities for fine tuning.

Edited by Simon