21mm framing with RF and 21 Lux vs 21 SEM

ELAN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My response to the OP's questions for what they are worth:

1. Do you use the RF to frame a 21mm lens? Does it work most of the time? - I only do this about 20% of the time depending on what I'm shooting.  I usually use the EVF or LV if framing is important for the shot.

2.  How does the size/weight/handling of the 21 Lux compare to the 28 Lux (or 50 Noctilux f/1). - I own the 21 Lux and will keep it.  It's a big lens but not in comparison to the Noctilux which I owned and sold because of it's weight - I found I never wanted to carry it on a days outing and replaced it with the 50 APO.  I had the 28 Lux and 28 Cron for an evaluation and chose the Cron because of the weight.  I don't find the 21 Lux a burden to carry and it balances better on the camera than the Nocti.

3. Is there much difference in image quality or rendering between the 21 Lux and 21 SEM? - I've never used the SEM so cannot make a comparison but am impressed with the Lux. Again it's a lens that I'll keep. I've had it about 5 years now.  If you can, rent both and try each out for yourself.  I wish I had done this before I bought the Noctilux.

• 4 months later...

I am using SEM 21mm on M10D, that is a M10-P with the screen dumped. What I am doing now is the guessestimation of frame. It is fairly OK for lanscape shot. However, for a close shot, it is a little bit harder to control. An EVF could be helpful for precise framing. As it is known, the EVF consumes the battery and the camera looks a bit ugly when mounted with it. Anyway, I decide to try this combo with no external viewfinder mounted.

weird post this one, the OP never engaged again after posting once .. I wonder .. did he or she buy a 21? if so which one? is it working well for him/her? :)

btw I have both and would love to keep both if possible, but if it had to be one only, I would probably keep the Lux - if anything also in consideration of how well it works on the SL

5 minutes ago, Fedro said:

weird post this one, the OP never engaged again after posting once .. I wonder .. did he or she buy a 21? if so which one? is it working well for him/her? :)

OP is still here... listening...

I will get the 21 SEM soon.  Everyone raves about it and I Iike its IQ, size, ergonomics and 46mm filter, but it's too slow to be the single lens I carry all day (I usually shoot with only one lens for the day, or a week - this week it's the 35 FLE).  It will be a second lens if I carry one, or used for landscape outings.

I may also get the 21 Lux.  While way too big for everyday use, I do love Summilux renderings wide open, and I could tolerate carrying it for a few hours to get the unique wide look it provides.  It will also be my astro lens instead of the 28 Lux I use now.

At first I will try to guesstimate the 21mm frame and see how that goes...

• Like 1

nice. I have not tried the Lux in that context, but have heard that it is not that great for astro; others will know better

It is great for other stuff, though, and if you like WAs it is to justify both.

I use SEM for landscape, street, M use and the Lux mostly for interiors (though you can also use the SEM on a tripod), low light, evenings, people/portrait, SL use etc

you can't go wrong with either IMHO .. good luck 😉