Leica 21mm f/3.4 SEM on SL2

NightPix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My apologies if the has been addressed before. How well does the Leica 21mm f/3.4 Super-Elmar-M ASPH perform adapted (Leica M to L) on the SL2? I’ve heard that there can be issues with edge smearing when wide m-lenses are adapted to non-m cameras. Any suggestions for better performing wide alternatives (Voigtlander?) would be appreciated. 

Edited by NightPix

I probably should have added a few more details in my original post. What I’m trying to do is simplify and reduce the weight of my kit. My old, glasses-wearing eyes and shaky hands rule out a RF like the M11 so I’m trying to build on my SL2 using adapted m-lenses. Light, small and great IQ. I have Leica 28, 35 and 50mm m-mounts and am looking to add something wider like a 21mm. I’ve tried the Leica APO primes and zooms and the images are fantastic - but they are just too big and too heavy for me for daily use. I hope this clarifies why I’m interested in the 21mm SEM and similar lenses. 

Sigma’s i Contemporary DG DN lenses are native L mount, compact, light, built from all metal & glass and have an aperture ring on the barrel. One of their latest is a 20mm f2 I think - might be worth a look? Aside from two M lenses, the 3 i Contemporary lenses I have are my preferred primes on the SL2-S and although the 24mm f3.5 might not be wide enough for you, it’s a very good performer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the 24mm f3.5 and compared it to a friends 21mm 3.4 SEM, and the Sigma was sharper in the edges, the Leica was a bit sharper on center. Optically they perform at a similar level, but I think the Sigma has the advantage because it was purpose built for L mount, and the M was designed for a sensor with offset microlenses. The Sigma contemporary lenses are, as a whole, better performers than most M lenses other than the very latest or APO versions. They are cheap, well made, native mount and sold by a company that seemingly cares a lot about their products. The 24mm 3.5 is 220g, which is also lighter than the 279g of the SEM. At less than 600 dollars it is really hard not to recommend it. I have the APO Summicrons for the 35 and 50 focal lengths, but I use the 24mm Sigma as a wide. It is good enough for me and I am very picky. I have not tried the 20mm versions, but they look similarly good.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, NightPix said:

My apologies if the has been addressed before. How well does the Leica 21mm f/3.4 Super-Elmar-M ASPH perform adapted (Leica M to L) on the SL2? I’ve heard that there can be issues with edge smearing when wide m-lenses are adapted to non-m cameras. Any suggestions for better performing wide alternatives (Voigtlander?) would be appreciated. 

The 21 SEM is one of my favorite lenses on the SL. If you take pictures more than look at MTF charts, you'll love the lens on the SL2. I've never taken a photo with it and worried about edge to edge performance or sharpness way into the corners - the new 21 SL APO is the lens for those kinds of obsessions. The 21 SEM is a honey on the SL2 because its so easy to handle, huge depth of field, color, 3 dimensionality, its just a great lens with this body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

NightPix,   I totally agree with Trickness in his above Post #6.   The 21 SEM works superbly on the SL2.  I use mine with both the SL2 and SL2-S and my copy has no muddy edges or corners.  Ken Abraham in Perth Australia also uses the 21 SEM and SL cameras.  You can see some of his photographs on the SL2 image thread too.  If you buy a used copy, you might check it out to ensure its not decentered or out of spec.  Just make sure the seller has a return policy in writing before buying.  Happy New Year!  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb NightPix:

I probably should have added a few more details in my original post. What I’m trying to do is simplify and reduce the weight of my kit. My old, glasses-wearing eyes and shaky hands rule out a RF like the M11 so I’m trying to build on my SL2 using adapted m-lenses. Light, small and great IQ. I have Leica 28, 35 and 50mm m-mounts and am looking to add something wider like a 21mm. I’ve tried the Leica APO primes and zooms and the images are fantastic - but they are just too big and too heavy for me for daily use. I hope this clarifies why I’m interested in the 21mm SEM and similar lenses. 

They also test the M 21 Super Elmar and the Wide-Angle-Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH. Which both are lighter than the SL Lenses and it's a good comparison in the video regarding Lens performance. :)

17 hours ago, NightPix said:

As my M11 is getting repaired, I am using the SL2 with some M lenses. 
It is heavy, much more than M11, would it not be better to add EVF to M11. Lighter and better sensor, and much better battery life.

The 21 SEM is a good lens with very little distortion, but in side by side tests the Panasonic 20-60 zoom performers the same in sharpness and resolution.

I find the M lense works better on the rangefinder, the game of opening F-Stop and zoom in to focus and close lens and shoot gets old unless you shoot wide open and can do it without zooming in to focus.

I am using 21 SEM, 28 Summilux, and 50 Lux

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

As my M11 is getting repaired, I am using the SL2 with some M lenses. 
It is heavy, much more than M11, would it not be better to add EVF to M11. Lighter and better sensor, and much better battery life.

The 21 SEM is a good lens with very little distortion, but in side by side tests the Panasonic 20-60 zoom performers the same in sharpness and resolution.

I find the M lense works better on the rangefinder, the game of opening F-Stop and zoom in to focus and close lens and shoot gets old unless you shoot wide open and can do it without zooming in to focus.

I am using 21 SEM, 28 Summilux, and 50 Lux

I’ve never manually focused my M lenses on the SL2-S by opening aperture wide and then stopping down. I may well be missing something (apologies if so) but if I’m working at, say, f5.6 then I use the joystick to set my focus point, click to zoom in, fine tune, and shoot. The SL magnification for manual focus has always been deadly accurate for me with M lenses - and I have no need to go wide open first? Of course, I haven’t updated the firmware to v6.0 (and won’t) so I’ve kept the joystick functionality for that purpose - but that’s another story. It’s a very personal thing but the EVF on the SLs is better and quicker for me than the rangefinder ever was, much as I loved my Ms. We’re all different I suppose 😄👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chris Nebard said:

I’ve never manually focused my M lenses on the SL2-S by opening aperture wide and then stopping down

Neither have I, unless I am stopped-down to 8.0 or 11. The EVF is fine at most apertures. 

Some lenses suffer from focus shift wide-open, so you'll get better precision by focusing at working aperture. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I am using the SL2 with some M lenses. 

True the SL2 is heavier and larger than the M11, but my old eyes and shaky hands need a good EVF and IBIS. I need to keep the SL2 for other applications (eg wildlife with my Sigma 150-600) and I don’t want to add another body to my already too complicated collection. Ideally, for my needs at least, Leica would build a version of the Q3 that would mount m-lenses. 

• Like 1

It's no secret that the 21 SEM has been my favourite lens going back to 2014. I have built up other favourites lenses since then but the 21 SEM keeps pushing its nose over the finish line just when you think there is nothing left. Indeed the lens "holds it's own" on all of the SL cameras including the 601, SL2 and SL2S. Initially I used this lens for landscape however I began experimenting with Street work too. I have to say that I wasn't expecting this lens to be what it is. Its slower f 3.4 design shouldn't be grounds to underestimate it or "discriminate" against. I get tired of reading how "M Lenses are better on M cameras", I dispel the feelings that my tools are second rate and those with APO SL's in their kit are more than okay people. I have APO SL lenses now but the 21 SEM is always in my bag.     

• Like 3

I only have the Leica 24-90 kit zoom and the Sigma 14-24 for travel. Duplicating prime focal lengths in L mount when I have perfectly good M lenses already paid for doesn’t sit well with me. But then it really depends on what you shoot. For people I use max aperture anyway so the corners don’t matter. But for landscape cityscape I have two of the best zooms ever made for the system. 

Edited by rtai