Would love a Leica X1 Mark II from Leica

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I would really like to see is an APS-H sized version with Monochrom sensor. The X2 sans AA-filter was great for B/W work. The lens was fine, for most parts, but would likely need an update to work with higher sensors resolutions.

Wow what a great idea and concept! I would totally be onboard such a camera. 

Focus on a small body, high quality output for street work.

For the lens, I prefer if they did a non-retractable lens with a filter ring attachment.

• 3 weeks later...

"Never say never' … because Leica Camera AG is committed to APS format and given the success of the Leica Q they might have thought about an 18mm or 19mm fixed lens compact … but such a camera could take maybe 3 years to reach prototype stage. 

Given all the effort put into e.g. the M10-D which likely has limited appeal and thus limited sales potential, maybe Leica could consider a really useful 'tool camera' which could be used by architects , surveyors. and estate agents (realtors):

APS format, with fixed 18mm lens with sufficient image circle to enable mechanical SHIFT capability … manual focus and manual aperture.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Did these professionals buy shift lenses in the old days when perspective correction was not available with a very few clicks like today?

The OP’s suggestion should be respected. I think I would buy such a camera, if it was compact. 

Am 18.9.2018 um 17:49 schrieb yanidel:

Though I mainly shoot street with a Leica M9, I really love the Leica X1 to take along when photography is not the main goal of an outing. With a OVF mounted, it is so much pleasure to shoot snapshots with it. As for image quality, with a little white balance and tint tweaking, I can print up to A3+ and it is almost imposible to differentiate between prints from the M9 and X1.

I feel that no camera released by Leica after the X1/X2 really works as a replacement. Be it the X113, CL, or Q, they are not pocketable and are almost M sized. The T lost a lot in ergonomics (exposure dials) and has bigger lenses. 

So I would love Leica to launch an updated Leica X1  with the following characteristics:

- same size, weight and pocketability as the original X1. This is the #1 criteria.

- upgraded sensor with no low pass filter. APS-C is fine.

- faster start up (1 second or less)

- manual focus ring or dial (similar to Sigma DP2)

- upgraded screen with tilt if possible.

- 2018 autofocus system

- stiffer exposure dial

- auto ISO capability in M exposure mode

- a non-retractable lens would be preferible if not adding to overall size.

- 35mm ok, F2.8 too if clean ISO6400.

- improved battery life. 

Any chance for it to happen ?

I would buy it immediatly. For my taste the rectractable lens is one of the big benefits (to keep the x1II  small size)

I agree with Tom, while the retracting lens wasn't my first choice, it WAS a darn good way of keeping the camera size minimal.

Even an updated similar to the old X1 would be nice, I sold mine a while back and have regretted it since. I console myself with the X-Vario, but the X1 always took "special" pictures for me.

Gary

• Like 1