New Panasonic Full Frame with SL Mount?

skimmel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i think a lot of pro's use the G9

and if one can shoot birds, then events from a distance should be no problem

nice lens

Speaking as amateur I think long zoom for M43 may be good for hobby shooters at weekend or holiday but main tools of professional, mostly sport and event, photography are long and fast primes and some long also fast zooms like Nikon & Canon 180-400 f4 with built in 1.4TC for instance. 

Think of any major sporting event or big wedding (we have few of those in UK lately) and DSLR with long lens is the tool of choice.  If you are accredited to sit at some distance from actual action only long lens on proven workhorse camera will do. 

Whether M43 ever dethrones full frame as nature photographer tool of choice i am not sufficiently qualified to judge.  If i wanted maximum quality on a safari trip of a life time with current equipment i would go with 40-50Mp full frame sensor, on the other hand M43 provides convenience where luggage restrictions are imposed by air travel. 

• Like 1

Speaking as amateur I think long zoom for M43 may be good for hobby shooters at weekend or holiday but main tools of professional, mostly sport and event, photography are long and fast primes and some long also fast zooms like Nikon & Canon 180-400 f4 with built in 1.4TC for instance. 

Think of any major sporting event or big wedding (we have few of those in UK lately) and DSLR with long lens is the tool of choice.  If you are accredited to sit at some distance from actual action only long lens on proven workhorse camera will do. 

Whether M43 ever dethrones full frame as nature photographer tool of choice i am not sufficiently qualified to judge.  If i wanted maximum quality on a safari trip of a life time with current equipment i would go with 40-50Mp full frame sensor, on the other hand M43 provides convenience where luggage restrictions are imposed by air travel.

The times are changing.

https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/photography-gear/cameras/advantages-micro-four-thirds/

there is a 90% chance that you will have a 12 kg luggage restriction on your Safari trip

all this is true and Peter has been completely shut out, or maybe, having been so burned on the C-M, Peter has planted all this information which he then denies the truth of, to reestablish his bona fides! (just kidding)

If this is all true, then having got the C-M wrong and now this as well, his credibility certainly will be damaged, I feel for him, but I guess it's the trouble with running a rumour site!

• Like 1

$4k sounds about right if we ballpark a SL2 at $7k with the same sensor, if we extrapolate from the D-Lux 109 vs. LX100 

Hmm - you are assuming that the SL2 will just be a clone of the Panasonic S - even if the rumours are true I think this is extremely unlikely, It's one thing re-badging an LX100, quite another abandoning all your SL design and development department and using Panasonic (and losing the 'made in Germany' tag as well). 

I'd expect a body made in Portugal / Germany, a different interface, much simpler controls and a modified sensor (for M lenses) at the very least. 

. . . but what do I know? (in this case nothing or I couldn't pontificate!)

• Like 6

Hi Jono, nice to see you jump into this thread so hows the SL2 testing coming along ;)

Hmm - you are assuming that the SL2 will just be a clone of the Panasonic S - even if the rumours are true I think this is extremely unlikely, It's one thing re-badging an LX100, quite another abandoning all your SL design and development department and using Panasonic (and losing the 'made in Germany' tag as well). 

I'd expect a body made in Portugal / Germany, a different interface, much simpler controls and a modified sensor (for M lenses) at the very least. 

. . . but what do I know? (in this case nothing or I couldn't pontificate!)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My hope, exactly. 

If we could get a good M to L mount AF adapter that;s not too bulky and reasonably fast I'm all in. SL lenses are just not suitable for me (too big and expensive - especially for electronic lenses which have a finite lifespan). And the TL/CL lens lineup are in dire need of expansion. 

M to L AF adapter would really help out - especially for rainy days where holding an umbrella in one hand, and manual focusing the M with the help of your face in the other hand, is not an ideal solution...

economies of scale will hopefully attract a M lens AF adapter

Point taken. My consideration is as a hobbyist. The G9's sensor and 100-400mm lens do look good enough on bitd photography for me.

My hope, exactly. 

If we could get a good M to L mount AF adapter that;s not too bulky and reasonably fast I'm all in. SL lenses are just not suitable for me (too big and expensive - especially for electronic lenses which have a finite lifespan). And the TL/CL lens lineup are in dire need of expansion. 

M to L AF adapter would really help out - especially for rainy days where holding an umbrella in one hand, and manual focusing the M with the help of your face in the other hand, is not an ideal solution...

How would an M-mount AF adapter work?

It's an adapter with an in-built motor. The Adapter works with the camera's AF mechanism by physically moving the lens back and forth until focus is achieved. Results are (apparently) accurate most of the time, though speed takes a slight hit. A little bit loud too. 

Useful for those looking for a one handed shooting solution however, or when you need to give your eyes a rest. 

How would an M-mount AF adapter work?

Edited by jonatdonuts

It's an adapter with an in-built motor. The Adapter works with the camera's AF mechanism by physically moving the lens back and forth until focus is achieved. Results are (apparently) accurate most of the time, though speed takes a slight hit. A little bit loud too. 

Useful for those looking for a one handed shooting solution however, or when you need to give your eyes a rest. 

Unless I am being particularly thick this afternoon, that's not how Leica M lenses are focused. 

Moving the lens back and forth is not the same as rotating the focus ring, which moves elements independently of each other, to focus.

This is getting a bit off topic, but suffice to say that the chances of Leica ever selling some sort of rack and pinion extension platform so that you can take photographs more slowly than you can by rotating the focus ring must be about the same as winning the lottery jackpot two weeks in a row.

• Like 5

Moving the lens back and forth is not the same as rotating the focus ring, which moves elements independently of each other, to focus.

It largely is the same for lenses without floating lens groups but I agree that these contraptions sound a bit crap. The old Contax AF solution of moving the film plane back and forth (less distance to move) was more ingenious but also a bit Heath Robinson. Better IMO to just use lenses on the platform for which they were designed.

• Like 4