M Adapter L not detecting lenses

sdw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hey folks — having some issues with my SL, unsure if I got a defect.

With the M Adapter L, it flat out refuses to detect lenses and assign the correct profile. I've tried to pop on various lenses, all well coded, and the Lens Profile menu simply states 'Off', even if I enable 'Auto'. Manually assigned profiles stick around OK. Is this a faulty adapter or somehow a 'feature'? 

Edit: I have to add to this that auto ISO also seems broken; even when I manually select a lens profile, the 1/f shutter speed selection will always maintain the lowest possible ISO, pushing exposure to very long shutter speeds. Would it not use the focal length in this case? 

Edited by sdw

Have you checked taking the adapter off and putting it back on, to make certain it is seated correctly?  Just a thought.

Yep, did this a few times, and also cleaned the lenses, adapter, etc. — no effect. Reset firmware, no effect. Perhaps the adapter is a dud.

Q: If you go to 'Lens Profile' in the Settings and set it to 'Auto' with a 6-bit coded M lens attached, does setting it to auto and returning to the menu overview say 'Lens Profile - - - - Auto'? Or the actual type of lens? If I set it to Auto it just says 'Off', which I find odd. 

Yep, did this a few times, and also cleaned the lenses, adapter, etc. — no effect. Reset firmware, no effect. Perhaps the adapter is a dud.

Q: If you go to 'Lens Profile' in the Settings and set it to 'Auto' with a 6-bit coded M lens attached, does setting it to auto and returning to the menu overview say 'Lens Profile - - - - Auto'? Or the actual type of lens? If I set it to Auto it just says 'Off', which I find odd. 

I just tried my M adaptor T, (older but identical model than M adaptor L), no issue encountered.

What I normally do:

I first attached the adaptor to SL.

Then I fixed the M lens onto the adaptor.

Then I turn on the SL.

The camera reports "new lens detected", and read out the correct lens (if in the listing).

My FW is 3.2.

If I set it to Auto, it will report the actual type of lens (if in the listing).
If I set it to off, it will report unknown lens.
  • Like 1

Yep, seems like my adapter is a dud, then. It never reports anything about lenses being detected, and never shows anything in the menu but 'Off'. Taking it to the store tomorrow. 

Yep, seems like my adapter is a dud, then. It never reports anything about lenses being detected, and never shows anything in the menu but 'Off'. Taking it to the store tomorrow. 

I should refine my explanation further:

If I had switched to "off" before I attach the adaptor:

The camera will report "new lens detected"as header and shows "lens profile"under the header and when I confirm, it shows the choice of "auto, off,

m-lens". When I confirm Auto, it will close.  You need to go back into the Lens Profile menu to see the actual lens reported.

If I had it on Auto before I attach the adaptor:

It skips all the above.You need to go into the Lens Profile menu to see the actual lens reported.

Hope I have not confused you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No confusion at all, I just assume that in the settings overview it doesn't list 'Off' as the lens profile when you set it to 'auto'. Regardless, it never since putting it on reported anything like 'New Lens Detected', so I am pretty convinced the adapter is a dud.