Anyone Else Find the Instruction Manual Difficult?

While I agree that an instruction manual is important. The main reason I use Leica is that the camera and menu are so intuitive. I know exactly how I want to set up the camera and the controls are right there. Now Nikon/Japanese cameras, that is another story altogether. You better have a Manual and keep it handy to figure out where and how to set up the 1000 different options.

Leica and its well designed digital layout makes photography a joy.

Sometimes it is not the camera or manual but pilot error as I used to say.  I was out walking the dog at sunrise along the Rio Grande and had the camera along with a new lens.  I wanted to photograph the light and clouds and mountains so I pulled the camera out of the bag and turned it on.  No matter where I pointed it or how I adjusted the f stop, I could not get a correct shutter speed.  I tried it in both "A" and manual, checked the menu and nothing.  I was getting a bit frustrated to say the least.

Then I noticed the lens cap was still on!

• Like 2

Sometimes it is not the camera or manual but pilot error as I used to say. I was out walking the dog at sunrise along the Rio Grande and had the camera along with a new lens. I wanted to photograph the light and clouds and mountains so I pulled the camera out of the bag and turned it on. No matter where I pointed it or how I adjusted the f stop, I could not get a correct shutter speed. I tried it in both "A" and manual, checked the menu and nothing. I was getting a bit frustrated to say the least.

Then I noticed the lens cap was still on!

It gets me thinking. It is actually quite easy for the camera to detect lens cap. It has light sensor in the front and also has a sensor to detect light from shutter blade. A large difference between two will indicate lens cap on and a message can displayed in rear LCD (similar to "no SD card" message. Of course it will work only in day/evening light but it will still be quite useful.

Leica, give us a FW update. :)

Edited by jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It gets me thinking. It is actually quite easy for the camera to detect lens cap. It has light sensor in the front and also has a sensor to detect light from shutter blade. A large difference between two will indicate lens cap on and a message can displayed in rear LCD (similar to "no SD card" message. Of course it will work only in day/evening light but it will still be quite useful.

Leica, give us a FW update. :)

True enough but the possibility of leaving the cap on reminds my of my film days.....isn't that what M is all about..... nostalgia? :) 

Exactly correct about nostalgia.  And it reminds us that no matter how good we think we are or how long it has been since we have done something really stupid like leaving the lens cap on, we are still human.  I mean I have been using Leica for almost fifty years and cannot recall the last time I left a lens cap on!