Why is Leica better?

Dsauro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Greg

such brutal judgement "cloying, saccharine and showing a lack of imagination" I guess that only putting one c in saccharine makes it a bit less brutal . . 

But so grumpy? I wonder about your motives? are you trying to humble us all? 

BUT

I really enjoyed your Tears in Rain website, and I suggest that anyone here has a look at it  - great stuff - focused, and lots of great images. 

Doesn't mean i subscribe to your grumpiness, but saultations for your enterprise!

You know I think I've just hit 'that age' where men get grumpy!

Everything you say about me being brutal and judgemental is true and I apologise for it.

• Like 3

As a daily user of some of the better R-mount lenses as well as a couple of M-mount lenses, I find them to be far more to my liking (I try to avoid the word "better") than lenses of other brands because of their color fidelity, tonal gradation, and aesthetically pleasing (to my eyes) rendering. Having recently added a couple of fast primes, I'm currently near-mesmerized by what I can do with their shallow depth-of-field capabilities.

As a person of modest but comfortable means who doesn't even own a car, photography and travel are my only extravagances. To my eyes, and for my purposes, the pleasure I get from using these lenses and from enjoying the images they make more than justifies the price I paid for them.

Photographs shared here by others who use Leica gear extend my enjoyment of photography, and augment my enthusiasm for the brand.  Although I click "Thanks" on many of the images, there are many more times that I forget to click on images that I appreciate.

As for my own images, at age sixty-two, and having achieved a modest measure of professional accomplishment, it's easy to dismiss negative semantics and focus instead on the positivity of the wonderful images enabled by Leica gear.

• Like 7

From the day his book came out, Pirsig has been on my mind. We lived an alley apart, he was a student at the U of Chicago which was a little part of my freelance photography life. By necessity I rode motorcycle I built from parts, ground-up, for simplicity.  He rode a Honda Super Hawk (Phoo by David Brill, National Geographic) for the same reason, but store bought. . Read up on his once traveling friend, John on the BMW. It's all you need to know.

hey Pico - thanks for bringing this up. I read the book more than once in the early eighties. it is still one of my favourites.

Apropos of Chicago in the '60s and '70s, and Leica culture more generally... That was also a time in which Nikon Fs were driving working photographers to ditch their Leicas and upgrade.  So while I was a postdoc at the U of C and not sure what I would do with all that education, I picked up an M2 and a set of lenses for it out of my very limited earnings that were so small and effective that I still use them to the present day.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK. This is enough rudenes; I have started deleting posts. Back to the subject please or the thread will be closed.

Isn't this clear? I have better things to do than deleting posts.  Fighting and ad-hominems are forbidden on this forum. If you have an issue with a post, hit the warning triangle to report and let the moderators handle it.

Isn't this clear? I have better things to do than deleting posts.

Nothing here is so serious that it cannot be said to each other, is it?

And, it might turn out to just be positive!  We may better understand each other and what photography means to us all. :)

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3