Why is Leica better?

Dsauro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone.

I year ago I switched to Leica from Nikon. I now own an m246 and SL. I have the the 50mm APO Summicron for my M camera, and the 24-90 and 90-280 for my SL. I also have the R 100 macro and S 120 APO macro.

I would like your educated responses as to why you all believe that Leica is better than say Nikon, Cannon, Fuji etc.

We all know that Leica is a luxury brand. And I , frankly, struggle with did I make the right decision. I like what I get from Leica in IQ. I do rely on the final print for qualification.

But do you all believe that there is value commensurate with the premium Leica charges.

Can anyone help me validate my decision :) ? Is there superior sensor technology? Is there better density in the color etc of the Bayer pattern? Does Leica do a better job of extracting color, light etc from there pixel pitch .

I’m not for trolls to just say “look st the i images” , I am looking for those who have made a concerted decision based on empirical data as to why....Leica

I am seriously looking at Fuji but I have questions about their glass, quality etc.

I’d love to hear what those of you who made a serious analysis as to “Leica” vs “other”.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

That is really a tough question to answer. Why did you buy it? What drew you to the Leica system in the first place? 

Leica is all about simplicity, fluidity, design and ease of use. I immediately felt a connection. Sort of like when I use a Rolleiflex or Leica M6. I pick it up, I get locked in and just start making images.

I can pick up any Leica and learn pretty much everything that is needed to create great photos in an extremely short period of time. Most folks will extol the virtues of Leica for "what it is",

but to the Leica photographer, it is almost as important as "what it isn't". Very few buttons, labels or complex, nested menus. Everything is for the most part, well thought out and intuitive. 

Leica cameras are all about minimalistic design and are either hand-made or hand finished and not mass produced like many of the Japanese, Chinese or cameras generally from the APAC region.

If you care about MTF curves, the new design Leica SL lenses are some of the finest and highest resolving optics currently made.

With that said, there are numerous cameras which have overall better specs than Leicas for a fraction of the cost.

Can an SL, Q or M10 resolve the same amount of detail as a D850? Probably not, but it does a damn good job and to me, therein lies the value.

• Like 3

Were you held at gun point to make your decision to buy & use Leica Camera & Lenses?

If not, why would you think our individual motivation and decision will have any impact on you?

I would not care about what you think about my choice. So by the same aspect why would you want to know what prompted us to decide to buy and use Leics cameras?

For what you know, we could all be fools!

Seriously. Why would you spend all that money on Leica if you don’t already know why you bought it. You don’t need our justification. I drive a Maserati GT. Do I worry that a Dodge Challenger will out perform it? Hell no. It’s hand built and only 400 are made a year and I love it’s design. And what it does - it does extremely well.

• Like 1

I think you misunderstand my question.. I mean no offense. I love the Leica IQ. It is merely a question to elicit a response based on the thought process and and value proposition of equipment with a premium charged vs a substitute available at a much less cost.

Why is leica better than the competition....is it factual, based on evidence to superiority, or are you rationalizing your investment?

I am sorry you take this personally.

• Like 2

Why would you want someone to validate your decision?

Value is completely subjective.

IQ you can absolutely see by looking at the photos you shoot or download and print. Why wouldn’t that be the right advice? Your opinion is more valid for your purchase than anyone else’s.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To Benutzer from Ma. Thank you for your thoughtful and “unemotional” response.

I struggle with rationalizing investing in the “008” or moving to another ecosystem. I could care less if someone a Maserati over an Audi (both of which I love).

Outside of an emotional attachment, have you made a calculated decision to continue or purchase Leica vs “other” based on technical superiority vs something else.

I am seriously thinking about the s system. But it’s a tough decision and I am trying to leverage the forums expertise as to their thoughts on arriving at the decision.

This is the SL forum so you’d probably get more S system advice in a more specific forum. Getdpi forums seem to have a lot of current and former S users.

Top of the line camera and lens systems are fantastic from Leica, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Hasselblad, Phase One, Olympus, etc.

Using the cameras yourself and finding the right lenses for your needs is the way to go. IQ will be similar amongst all the best equipment within a given format (M43, FF, MF, etc).

I appreciate the passion everyone has towards loyalty of their investment . I get it. Again, and in the simplest terms, what does Leica offer over the competition, which commands a premium in price. Very simple...emotion aside.

I am really searching for those who have thought and researched this. There is very limited research from what I can see. For instance, a very interesting video on Luminiance Landscape with a Phase One engineer discussing the new Tri-Chromagix sensor was enlightening. I thought a lot about wha he said, and how does that translate to the engineering behind the Leica sensor develoment and thesis.

Has anyone researched the quantitative and qualitative value that Leica provides. Like mentioned, I’m lookig to leverage from others research

• Like 1

Different answers for different Leica systems.... M, S, SL, CL, Q, etc. Plenty written here and elsewhere in each sub-forum.

The common attributes mentioned often relate to the lenses, the simplicity of controls and focus on essentials, the build quality and the viewing experience. Regarding the latter, for instance, the S has one of the best optical finders, the SL with the best EVF, and the M10 with the best RF so far in a digital camera.

You could read for months. Or do like others here and make your own value assessments. Many here use multiple brands for different needs and goals.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi everyone.

I year ago I switched to Leica from Nikon. I now own an m246 and SL. I have the the 50mm APO Summicron for my M camera, and the 24-90 and 90-280 for my SL. I also have the R 100 macro and S 120 APO macro.

I would like your educated responses as to why you all believe that Leica is better than say Nikon, Cannon, Fuji etc.

We all know that Leica is a luxury brand. And I , frankly, struggle with did I make the right decision. I like what I get from Leica in IQ. I do rely on the final print for qualification.

But do you all believe that there is value commensurate with the premium Leica charges.

Can anyone help me validate my decision :) ? Is there superior sensor technology? Is there better density in the color etc of the Bayer pattern? Does Leica do a better job of extracting color, light etc from there pixel pitch .

I’m not for trolls to just say “look st the i images” , I am looking for those who have made a concerted decision based on empirical data as to why....Leica

I am seriously looking at Fuji but I have questions about their glass, quality etc.

I’d love to hear what those of you who made a serious analysis as to “Leica” vs “other”.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

Nowadays, all better cameras make images that are of almost equal fantastic quality. It comes down to

a: the lenses

b. the "feel" and perception of the camera.

It is like in the time that there was only film: all cameras took the same film, yet some cost ten times as much as others.

• Like 2

simple answer :

its more fun to take pics and focus on capturing the moment with a Leica.

Hi everyone.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

• Like 4

Have a look at some other recent active threads arguing about more pixels for the M and S, image stabilisation, low light performance, flash compatibility. It's an obvious fact that Leica does NOT have the 'best' technology (by mainstream consumer photography standards) in all departments. Those who have bought into Leica because they can (they have the money), or because of the luxury brand profile, are often disappointed, and vent their disappointment in this forum "if Leica charges so much for its kit, then I expect the best resolution/ISO performance etc". More fool them: they should have done their research before buying, and had good reasons from their own photographic journey for believing Leica would do something for their photography.

In technological (hardware) terms, Leica is up there with the best, but is rarely THE best in all aspects, except in consistent excellent lens optical standards across the range. I'd like to add build quality to this, but these days build quality and reliability are less about mechanical durability of major body and lens components and more about internal electronic reliability, AF motors etc, where Leica has had an occasionally shaky record (as have other manufacturers).

What Leica does better than anyone else, IMO, and what I'm prepared to pay for, is an approach to design that is centred around the photographer and the process of taking pictures: it aims to put all design elements, menus and controls together in a way that takes the camera 'out of the picture', and puts nothing between you and your shot. I think they've got it just about right with the M film and digital series, did it well in the SL and T/TL2, and the CL is good work in progress.

If you bought into Leica because you had the money and because you like the brand, you are unlikely to recognise any of this, even if people say it in this thread. So get out there and use your camera to take photos. Look at them, and you will quickly realise that you have lots of room for improvement. The camera, like many others from Sony, Fuji, and even dinosaurs like Canon and Nikon, is capable of taking far better photos than you are. If you put the work in, though, it will help you become a better photographer more quickly than other brands.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 11

Well actually I think it is the unique combination of different things - very personal view ...

for me first of all the feeling or experience working with a Leica is unique and not comparable to other brands -  it makes me just more confident

the look of the Images due to the lenses is also unequalled 

Leica colours & Skin tones & micro contrast, smooth Leica bokeh

a Leica gives you the feeling you made the shot and not in first place the Computer algorithms in the camera - i.e. Sony / Fuji give that lack of control feeling to me ... 

the heritage

technical Expertise: Inventor of FF 3:2 Format, M camera, AF Inventors (back in 1960!), Aspherical, Apo, Noctis etc. etc... 

even today in Digital era Leica is technically top notch (Lenses and recent digital bodies M10, SL, Q, S and even TL /CL ...), even that I have to admit that they firstly underestimated the development of digital photography still back in 2005 ...

a lot of Pros here confirm that the SL with a SL Zoom reveals more detail in the Image  than a nominally MP beast like a 37-45 MP Nikon Body with best Nikon lenses 

Leica is a midsized Company

hand-crafted and craftmanship, quality of build is industry reference level 

definitely no cheap-labour - ok you have to pay for it but if you ever have seen their commitment for highest quality the pricing ratio starts to make sense -

to be continued ...

I wish you that you start realizing that you are with the right brand - listen to your belly :D

for it is taking a Leica photo makes me much more confident

• Like 2

Hi everyone.

We all know that Leica is a luxury brand. And I , frankly, struggle with did I make the right decision....

Can anyone help me validate my decision :) ?

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

Thoughts, comments: you seem to suffer from choice anxiety. Perhaps Barry can help: https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

I am seriously thinking about the s system. But it’s a tough decision and I am trying to leverage the forums expertise as to their thoughts on arriving at the decision.

It is not a tough decision. Try the S system and if you CAN put it down, then do so. I could not put it down, and so I use it. Almost every other system beats it in some way - faster AF, more MP, lighter, smaller, high ISO - whatever. None of that matters. I love using it and I love the results. A "better" camera that stays at home takes no photos.

--Matt

• Like 3