Leica MM 10760 Exposure Lock and Auto-ISO

rolllo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I couldn't find the answer via forum search, so I ask here:

With my MM, shooting in 'manual' mode (fixed shutter speed) and auto-ISO activated, exposure lock doesn't work. Setting shutter speed to 'A' enables exposure lock ability.

Is this the regular behavior? It doesn't make sense to me that exposure lock works if shutter speed is variable but not if ISO is variable.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

PS: Shutter release is set to standard, not soft.

Edited by rolllo

Auto-ISO in manual is conceived differently to achieving a real manual setting. The idea is, that one can set a shutter time and aperture that are appropriate for a given situation and the camera will adapt to the changing light. 

To get the camera to real manual you must get the ISO off auto. There is also a setting to get the camera to revert to the last used fixed ISO (at least on the 240). Even more uncertain, as one will never know what ISO that might have been.

I feel that this is an incorrect implementation, other users demand it. We had a hotly argued thread on the subject some time ago.

The whole complexity stems from the fallacious idea that the ISO setting is an exposure parameter; it is not. Only S and A are. Nothing else controls the amount of light falling on the sensor. The ISO value is the volume adjust of the camera.

thank you for your explanation, jaapv! Never thought about ISO as a the camera's 'volume' adjust and not as an exposure parameter.

I like to walk around with f8 and 1/500th and snap away; with auto-ISO sometimes my highlights blow out, even with exposure compensation dialed in. Maybe I need to get used to go fully manually and respond to different lightning situations (during the day, sun, shade) by adjusting shutter speed/aperture accordingly.

You know the answer. What you have bern doing is really no different from shooting in aperture priority at a set ISO and using no expousre compensation, you’ve just changed the auto part of it. Differing light demands compensation of some sort. Otherwise, the “auto” piece of the equation, be it shutter speed or ISO, will always try to balance the scene.