75 and 90mm SL lenses will arrive in February

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be surprised if the new Summicron-SLs and the 24-90 SL, when both are shot at, say f/5.6 and 75 or 90 mm, will render differently.  They each reflect the design objectives of one distinguished team.  But the new lenses at f/2.0 will be the interesting point.  I want to see how their style compares with the looks of the M's Summilux and Noctilux.

I would not test both a 5.6, I would just want to see what edge the 75mm @ 2.0 has over the 24-90 @ 75 wide open.

It looks pretty good from the samples

I do love primes :D just i thought I'd finished buying camera gear for at least a month - and I need to sell myself on it.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

Well first impressions are that it is small! my Sony Z5 Compact is almost a size match.

Straight away I miss the rock steady stabalisation of the zoom lenses.

A quick test and the background bokeh is pleasing versus f3.9 on the 24-90 zoom.

I will see if I can convince Louise to let me take her portrait today.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 2

Well first impressions are that it is small! my Sony Z5 Compact is almost a size match.

A quick test and the background bokeh is pleasing versus f3.9 on the 24-90 zoom.

An exciting day for you eh Dan. Nothing quite like getting a new lens to play with. Have fun.

• Like 2

Well, as an owner of both SL-Varios the lack of OIS is somewhat serious, but you can't get everything...unless you are a Canon-Photographer (I mean the new EF 85/1.4 L IS) ;) .

A photo of Louise, it's gone through some processing

25486626887_696d68b8e7_b.jpgLouise by dancook1982, on Flickr

26487767798_2f8ffda10e_b.jpgLouise BW by dancook1982, on Flickr

Hi Dancook!

It is very nice portrait from SL75 Apo f2. I intend to get SL90 Apo f2 since I have owed M75 Lux already.

I need to study how to make the portrait softer and smooth skin tone, shot by SL Apo lens!

Pls share more your portrait picture from SL75 Apo!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Hi Dancook!

It is very nice portrait from SL75 Apo f2. I intend to get SL90 Apo f2 since I have owed M75 Lux already.

I need to study how to make the portrait softer and smooth skin tone, shot by SL Apo lens!

Pls share more your portrait picture from SL75 Apo!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

I used greater than gatsby photoshop actions for portrait touch ups - skin etc

• Like 2

Ok for a 'dim' light test -- 1/50, f2, ISO2500

Photographing this gentleman in a pub, he has no direct light on his face.

Using field focus, so the rectangular box is enough to for the whole of the eye and eyebrow I think.

I only shot 6 images. Every shot that actually found focus went to infinity and back first.

A couple of times attempts that hunt about 4-5 times through to infinity and back before I gave up

26504043718_0506ea664c_c.jpgPatrick - SL Test by dancook1982, on Flickr

I don't think it's the lens though, just the SLs contrast detection - it can be frustrating..

Edited by dancook
  • Like 3

I only shot 6 images. Every shot that actually found focus went to infinity and back first.

A couple of times attempts that hunt about 4-5 times through to infinity and back before I gave up

I could try 75-SL some weeks ago (with FW 3.0) - didn't see this problem; is your experience based on FW 3.1?

Can't find any shoot with 90-SL; Leica says this lense arrived February 8th - about two weeks ago - and nobody posts anything, strange...

75-SL still looks very good!

I could try 75-SL some weeks ago (with FW 3.0) - didn't see this problem; is your experience based on FW 3.1?

Can't find any shoot with 90-SL; Leica says this lense arrived February 8th - about two weeks ago - and nobody posts anything, strange...

75-SL still looks very good!

What if it were my SL that was faulty somehow...  :blink:

Only used the 75mm with 3.1, but it's the same experience I get from low light with 90-280 and 50, not tried the 24-90 in low light really.

Loathed to call it low light, it's not exactly 12,800 material