Help, I just sold my 50mm Summilux ASPH

evikne

... When I was a Canon user one year ago, the 85/1.2 was more or less my standard lens. ...

In 15 years I have never found a lens that would draw similar to the venerable EF 85 L. Perhaps my favourite lens of all time with its painterly pastel bokeh which melted backgrounds. 

• Like 2

In 15 years I have never found a lens that would draw similar to the venerable EF 85 L. Perhaps my favourite lens of all time with its painterly pastel bokeh which melted backgrounds. 

Yes, it is the miss of this lens that led me up in this situation. 

• Like 1

There's nothing in the world can replace the 50mm asph FLE. it's tough but you have to make a choice!

I used to think so and it was my 'cold, dead, hands' lens for many years but I replaced it recently with the black chrome 50/1.4 Retro Summilux asph, which offers me buttery-smooth focusing (which the Mk1 version never had even after 10 years of 'breaking in'), in a slightly smaller package but retains all of the optical characteristics that so attracted me to the v1.  I'm very glad I've replaced it.

Pete. 

No, the near limit is 0.7 m. And I “need” at least f/1.4, because I love shallow DoF. When I was a Canon user one year ago, the 85/1.2 was more or less my standard lens.

My ultimate Leica lens would probably be a 50mm Noctilux. I usually prefer the rendering from the f/1.0 rather than the more “correct” f/0.95. But then there is the 1 m near limit that I think is too long for a 50mm. Therefore I landed on the 75mm Summilux, which renders pretty similar to the f/1.0 Noctilux.

I had the Canon 85 1.2 L as well and I loved it. I loved it so much that I even hauled this grapefruit sized lens on a strenuous hike to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite once. But after selling Canon gear and moving to Leica, I don't miss it much. 50 Simmilux replaced its usage for me. Not an exact replacement in technical aspect but in usage (shooting people). I moved to Leica M for size and weight. If I could live with the bulk of Canon system then I would have preferred 85 L than Leica's 75 equivalent. However, I do see now why you want this. Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

This thread made me curious and I went and checked my LR catalog for how many pictures I shot (actually curated and kept) with Canon 85L 1.2 and Leica 50lux ASPH. They are almost equal! This tells me that 50lux did replace ir in usage.

On the other hand, looking at my 85L pictures made me want that again... those were mostly family and friends pictures with great memories. That is the value of a lens for me. In preserving memories that are beautiful to look at when you get older.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica life tip #1: never sell a lens from the collection, always wait while accumulating the funds, makes the arrival all the more sweeter.

To be honest a 35 - 75mm spread is my preferred choice. A couple of steps back and you can get effectively the 50mm focal view but with a bit more background compression.

You're ideally suited for a nice 3 lens spread of 21, 35, 75  :)

50 Elmar-M collapsible is also a cheap option and a lens worth having by all accounts.

Words to live by. 

Trading or selling an M body is one thing; trading or selling an M lens is quite another matter. 

I had to trade in my 2003 film MP to help pay for my M240.  I have not regretted doing so as I still have my M4-P.  I also traded in my pre-ASPH 50 Summilux millennium (black paint) which I regret doing.  When I upgraded to the M-P Safari, I traded my 28mm Summicron, thinking I would not miss it since the Safari kit included a 35 Summicron.  In the long run, I still ended up missing my 28 'cron. 

Lesson learned - no more trading off M lenses for me.  :huh:

• Like 4

I bought the newest 50mm summilux asph last spring expecting to use it a lot but really on most days I choose my 35mm summicron because of how it nicely balances on the M and the wider focal length. The 50 lux is heavy and does not balance right which is kind of an annoying feature. If I had too do it over I would have probably gotten the 50 summicron regular or apo. But i plan on keeping the 50 lux for now, as it does have a unique rendering for portraits, which is really all I use it for.

• Like 1

The 75 Summilux is always going to be a good buy, if you like the focal length.  It's a fabulous lens, sharp as a tack stopped down and dreamy wide open.  There's something classic about it.

Pairing it with a 35mm lens is logical and useful (more so than with a 50mm).  The question I have for you is, which 35mm?  I never bonded with my 35 Summilux (fle), I can't really explain why - perhaps I didn't give it a chance.  Pairing a Mandler 75 Summilux (apparently the lens he was most proud of) with a Karbe designed 35 Summilux gives you a choice, but is it a choice you want?

The 75 Summilux is based on the Mandler designed 50 Summilux (II), often referred to as the pre-ASPH (and the 80 Summilux-R) which many people here seem to prefer over the ASPH version which you sold.  What you could consider is to look around for a 50 Summilux (II) - here's one from HK for USD 1,400.00 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Leica-Summilux-M-50mm-F1-4-II-50-1-4-Yr-1973-Germany/192380200576?hash=item2ccac0e680:g:JncAAOSwhpZaHprw 

Eoin's idea of adding a 21mm lens (the SEM has a great reputation) isn't silly at all.

Post some images here, whatever you decide.

• Like 2

The 75 Summilux is based on the Mandler designed 50 Summilux (II), often referred to as the pre-ASPH (and the 80 Summilux-R) which many people here seem to prefer over the ASPH version which you sold.  What you could consider is to look around for a 50 Summilux (II) - here's one from HK for USD 1,400.00 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Leica-Summilux-M-50mm-F1-4-II-50-1-4-Yr-1973-Germany/192380200576?hash=item2ccac0e680:g:JncAAOSwhpZaHprw 

Or perhaps the 50/1.4 v3 (same optical design as the v2) if you are not allergic to telescopic hoods and need the closer 0.7m focus distance. Also takes E46 filters. Somewhat more expensive, though.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 2

My 75mm Summilux is now sent in for service (back focusing adjustments), and I will sell my 35mm Summilux FLE, which I rarely used, to finance another 50mm. I didn’t realize how much I loved it until I sold it. :( I simply cannot live without a 50mm.

I had decided to get a new 50mm Summilux APO, the same as I had, but the last two posts here made me think if maybe two Mandler lenses would fit better together …

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2

My 75mm Summilux is now sent in for service (back focusing adjustments), and I will sell my 35mm Summilux FLE, which I rarely used, to finance another 50mm. I didn’t realize how much I loved it until I sold it. :( I simply cannot live without a 50mm.

I had decided to get a new 50mm Summilux APO, the same as I had, but the last two posts here made me think if maybe two Mandler lenses would fit better together …

If you miss a lens so much you want to buy the same again, why should you buy another kind, simply to realise that you made a second mistake? The frase "never change a winning team " isn't invented by chance. if you want the summilux asph back, buy it back. The 50/1,4 non asph is a totally different lens. 

I think you need to metaphorically and physically take a few steps back before you rush into any decisions.

These lenses you talk about are not cheap and serious consideration needs to be given to the focal spread and difference between the various lens versions you have and are considering.

My advise (not knowing your shooting style) is utilise what you have now, you'll be forced to use your 35 for a while when your 75 is away for recalibration.

Take this time to force yourself to get to know your 35 and look for creative ways to use it within your shooting.

Then when your 75 is back .... evaluate it and spend some time shooting it to see if it meets the needs you originally bought it for.

IMO sometimes less, can in fact be more. the limitations of 2-3 well chosen focal lengths can push you to achieve more.

Basically what I'm saying is ... give it all time, methodical evaluation will save you a small fortune and quell the demon GAS bug!. 

• Like 5

My advise (not knowing your shooting style) is utilise what you have now, you'll be forced to use your 35 for a while when your 75 is away for recalibration.

Take this time to force yourself to get to know your 35 and look for creative ways to use it within your shooting.

Then when your 75 is back .... evaluate it and spend some time shooting it to see if it meets the needs you originally bought it for.

IMO sometimes less, can in fact be more. the limitations of 2-3 well chosen focal lengths can push you to achieve more.

Basically what I'm saying is ... give it all time, methodical evaluation will save you a small fortune and quell the demon GAS bug!. 

This is VERY good advice .... in addition to the 35 75 being a great two lens kit , IMO a proper 3 lens would be  21 -35-75. you never mentioned why you NEED a 50.... and if you do for goodness sake get the identical one that you miss if not you'll be further away from where you want to end up !

I take mostly candid portraits with shallow depth of field, and wide angles are therefore not my first priority. 50mm is the most versatile angle and the one I have used most, together with 85mm (Canon). Lately I have discovered that I really love the Mandler look, so maybe one day I could have both 35, 50 and 75mm designed by Mandler? 

But I also loved my 50mm Summilux ASPH (both image rendering and build quality), so I know I should take one step back now and think carefully before I make more impulsive mistakes …

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman
...The 75 Summilux is based on the Mandler designed 50 Summilux (II), often referred to as the pre-ASPH.... What you could consider is to look around for a 50 Summilux (II) - here's one from HK for USD 1,400.00...

That's exactly what I did. I hated the long focus throw of the Summilux 75 and of the Noctilux — as well as their weight and the frequent missed focus at f/1.4 and f/1.0 — and that was when I was shooting film. I replaced them both with the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH, which I prefer the to the subsequent ASPH versions. The other 50mm lens I like is the DR Summicron.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Using Leica Goodie's 'steer' on the 75mm Summilux helped me because I have a weak left hand, but I have to believe it will help anyone.

http://www.leicagoodies.com/steer.jpeg

Home page: http://www.leicagoodies.com

I use a Leicagoodies Steer on both my 50/1 Noctilux and my 80/1.4 Summilux-R and I find them very helpful.  My Noctilux has a heavyish focus ring but on both I can instantly find the focus ring without looking.

Pete.