:confused: PSE or Lightroom?

steich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

after using PSE 4 for a while, I downloaded a trial version of Lightroom.

First impressions:

Pros:

Nice to use, almost self-explaning

better integration of RAW development (if you don´t want to use C1),

Cons:

Haven´t found the buttons for manually setting highlights and shadows (just this "neutral grey" thing)

It seems impossible to import the "collections" from PSE...

I not quite sure if I missed something with the things mentioned under "cons".

And I still don´t know if should switch to LR or use both programs or just keeping working with PSE, maybe go to PSE 5...what are your experiences and opinions?

Regards

Stefan

Hello,

after using PSE 4 for a while, I downloaded a trial version of Lightroom.

First impressions:

Pros:

Nice to use, almost self-explaning

better integration of RAW development (if you don´t want to use C1),

Cons:

Haven´t found the buttons for manually setting highlights and shadows (just this "neutral grey" thing)

It seems impossible to import the "collections" from PSE...

I not quite sure if I missed something with the things mentioned under "cons".

And I still don´t know if should switch to LR or use both programs or just keeping working with PSE, maybe go to PSE 5...what are your experiences and opinions?

Regards

Stefan

Stefan, You'll find the forum split about 50/50 between C1-PS(E) and Lightroom.

Personally I do not like lLghtroom for two reasons:

Somehow my mind and the Lightroom interface don't mesh - I simply do not "get"it. My fault undoubtedly. Otoh, C1 "clicked" immediately, whereas others find that impossibly couterintuitive.

My main objection is however, that at the moment the RAW converter of LR seems to produce a quality that is just below C1, especially if one uses dedicated profiles. Of course C1 can be integrated into LR, but the files out of there are so good that they only need minimal manipulation and readying for output in PSE. LR seems to be a bit of overkill in that respect.

In the end, a matter of taste and inclination imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Stefan, you can not compare the two aplications to eachother. PSE 4 is a pixelediting program and not by any standard ideal for filing ore use as a professional database of your photo's. LR is such a program, database driven,fast with the possibility of editing your raw files without taking up much space on your harddrive.And that neutral grey thing you found is actually a neutral white thing. If you want the right color balance just click something in the highlights of aproximally 92 /94 %. Then you will be fine.Don't look for a neutral grey. It won't work because LR does work with % color and not with the rgb values 0-255 as you know them from PSE.

Regards,

Martin

Ps, I absolutly love LR, and us PS cs as external editer( integrated in LR menus) for the few things LR can't do for me........YET !

Stefan,

Like Jaap, I didn't 'get' Lightroom at first and it didn't seem very intuitve to me. But I persevered, checked out some on-line tutorials and bought a book and I now think it is simply superb. I can't see it taking the place of PS CSx but, for me, it has consigned Adobe Camera Raw to history and I excusively use LR for initial pp. LR just takes so much of the 'hard' work out of it.

Pete.

love lightroom. try the luminous landscape tutorials (cheap). i really think it can change the way you do things and improve your photography. plus, the colors and layout seem perfect for working on photos. obviously, i'm a convert. and now i'm shooting all raw for the first time!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everbody-

after just playing with a test version of LR and exploring for a while I just used it to develop a bunch of shoots from a 7-7-7 wedding. Fast and easy! I still took C1 for some of the shots with VERY nasty light situations- but for most of the pictures, LR was THE tool.

Stefan