Black vs. Silver lens

MEB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is not. M3 50 framelines are perfect match only for 50 mm lens. With 40mm lens in 50 framelines you need to frame closer if you want to print full frame. They say, also, (I didn't checked it) if 40mm is framed by 50mm framelines it works as crop for 8x10 prints.

I meant if the 40 mm fits in its field of view sort of in the whole viewfinder picture which you see (outside of the 50 mm frame lines). So 40 mm should give a wider view than 50 mm and my hope is just that the wider field of view within the viewfinder coincides with the full viewfinder view outside of the 50 mm frame lines?

The chrome Rigid I purchased and sold locally was all brass made. But it was worn-out. Seventy years of use. In opposite, aluminium made FSU FR lenses I have are as smooth to focus as Leica lens. 

I meant if the 40 mm fits in its field of view sort of in the whole viewfinder picture which you see (outside of the 50 mm frame lines). So 40 mm should give a wider view than 50 mm and my hope is just that the wider field of view within the viewfinder coincides with the full viewfinder view outside of the 50 mm frame lines?

I think it is very close.

• Like 1

The chrome Rigid I purchased and sold locally was all brass made. But it was worn-out. Seventy years of use. In opposite, aluminium made FSU FR lenses I have are as smooth to focus as Leica lens. 

I think it is very close.

Thanks, this answers my suspicion - could you double-check and let me know how close it is? I might look into getting a 40/2 then......

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2017 at 11:29 PM, Exodies said:

You will take better photographs with a silver lens and here's why. When seeing it, everyone will admire you and your confidence will grow. This will make you happier and a happy brain works better than a sad one. Having a better functioning brain increases your luck. With the extra luck you will see more interesting scenes. As long as you pay attention to these lovely scenes and shoot them instead of just sauntering around showing off you will have better photographs.

I can't tell whether this is a joke or real opinion. Well, in some cases it could be true but it's also funny. So i'd say it's both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

You can trust Exodies Genius.

2 hours ago, phototrope said:

I can't tell whether this is a joke or real opinion. Well, in some cases it could be true but it's also funny. So i'd say it's both.

If only you could tell which was which

On 7/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, colint544 said:

Leica seem to be moving away from making lenses with brass barrels altogether. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's cheaper.

I have one of those 50mm Summicron 50 Jahre lenses. It's silver chrome, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a brass outer barrel. It's still a super lens - it can take lovely pictures, and I think it looks nice on my M Monochrom mk1. I know many don't agree, but I like a silver lens on a black body.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Silver on black is my favorite too. 

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When I have black, I want silver 😵

so I usually purchase two or more (black, silver, titanium if exists)

even other accessories,

LeicaMeter MR here 😉

While waiting for this beauty ...

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Under the mid-day sun, a black lens may become quite hot to the touch, sooner than a lighter-colored lens. In the latitudes nearer the equator, this is more of a factor. A non-metal focusing tab can mitigate this, but not all lenses have them. 

In my case, in southern Texas, my black cameras become quite hot, all too quickly, making the lens’ color a moot point. Perhaps my next Leica camera should be silver chrome? 

3 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

Under the mid-day sun, a black lens may become quite hot to the touch, sooner than a lighter-colored lens. In the latitudes nearer the equator, this is more of a factor. A non-metal focusing tab can mitigate this, but not all lenses have them. 

In my case, in southern Texas, my black cameras become quite hot, all too quickly, making the lens’ color a moot point. Perhaps my next Leica camera should be silver chrome? 

I am told that is the reason why those great big long lenses Nikon/Canon digital people have are finished in white, so that they are less affected by heat that would cause them to expand and contract and warp dimensionally.

2 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

I am told that is the reason why those great big long lenses Nikon/Canon digital people have are finished in white, so that they are less affected by heat that would cause them to expand and contract and warp dimensionally.

That is what I have heard and read, though at this time, only Canon and Sony are making the lighter-colored lenses. Nikon made some light-gray-colored telephoto lenses, in the past.

• 3 years later...
On 6/11/2019 at 5:48 AM, Pyrogallol said:

I realise this thread is long dead but..

Actually one of the main reasons Canon made sure they became known for white telephotos was because they show up on the sidelines during TV coverage of sporting events, I believe. 

It was subliminal advertising to pros. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I realise this thread is long dead but..

Actually one of the main reasons Canon made sure they became known for white telephotos was because they show up on the sidelines during TV coverage of sporting events, I believe. 

It was subliminal advertising to pros. 

Then wildlife photographers can buy camouflage covers to cover up the bright white.