Leica TL2 officially announced!

Sorry, but I think you are wrong:

The factor is 1.5, so the sensor equals/scales up to about   1.5x1.5x24MP which is more than 50 MP in a FF sensor.

I'm not technically inclined and therefore would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to confirm if this represents 36MP or 50MP in a full frame format. (I was always under the impression that the 16MP sensor represented 24MP in full frame.)

I wish this TL2 had never been released as I'm tempted to upgrade with the increased pixel density. I enjoy my T which I use for business travel, but the 16MP sensor limits cropping when I produce large prints.

Pixel count goes as area, not length, so 1.5x1.5 or 2.25 as the ratio of full frame pixels to APS-C pixels is a pretty good estimate.  This gives 54 MPx using the same chip technology.  I posted 36 as an estimate somewhere deep in this or another thread, but I didn't give it enough thought before posting.

• Like 2

Pixel count goes as area, not length, so 1.5x1.5 or 2.25 as the ratio of full frame pixels to APS-C pixels is a pretty good estimate.  This gives 54 MPx using the same chip technology.  I posted 36 as an estimate somewhere deep in this or another thread, but I didn't give it enough thought before posting.

Thanks for the clarification Scott. Unfortunately it's starting to look like a very attractive upgrade.

Cheers, Tom

Here are a few more blurbs about the TL2 from DPR - including a bunch of sample shots.  

https://www.dpreview.com/tag/leica-tl2-launch?ref_=pe_1822230_245957160_dpr_nl_268_7

Inevitable anti-Leica sour grapes comments from prejudiced non-Leica users. 

dunk

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Inevitable anti-Leica sour grapes comments from prejudiced non-Leica users. 

dunk

I barely go on DPReview. It was interesting up to about six years ago, but now cameras are so good that the reviews are just sort of meaningless. The resolution charts were a good idea when you were dealing with a 2MP camera vs an 8MP camera, but now? Now we are back to where we were with film, which is to say that the sensors are all pretty bleeping great, and all the rest of the experience is down to personal taste and how large your pocketbook is... Also the forum trolls hate everyone.

If you get a Fuji or Oly or Leica camera, you are getting some quality futuristic stuff. It's a great time to be a photographer. Yes, I know, there's also Sony, but for personal reasons (interface) I'm not into Sony. As Dr McCoy might say, "It's like working in a damn computer factory!"

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 1

JPP1. .. You are quite right .. a very good article .. however, I could not help notice that at the end of the very first paragraph they recommended the Fuji XT2 as a better alternative?? May be Leica doesn't advertise with them very much any more?

They did a good job of running through the ISO s with both raw and JPEG..output. Also the 100% crops were extremely sharp and colorful.

Looking like a good move up from the original T.

Rick

• Like 2

Phoned Ffordes this afternoon and they had a silver TL2 in stock … ordered and arrives Friday .  Waiting list for black model which appears to be more popular. 

dunk 

Hi Dunk

I hope you really enjoy it (silver definitely looks better longer!)

all the best

Jono

• Like 1

Bencoyote suggested one addition could be:

'- A little shim that you put in the hot shoe between the camera and the EVF which has a port for a flash trigger while accepting the EVF and providing the power and digital signals needed to run the EVF. That way you can use an off camera flash and the EVF at the same time.'

I would like that - it is brilliant!  I hope it can be done.

Rick

Rick; I was not aware of such thing! Do you have any link to this?

Oh sorry; I misread your comments; I thought it does exist! :) 

Edited by Louis

Rick; I was not aware of such thing! Do you have any link to this?

Oh sorry; I misread your comments; I thought it does exist! :)

It's not a difficult thing to make from a physical standpoint. HOWEVER. Operability depends on whether the software can handle a flash and an EVF in the same port. I can't just now find the specs for the hot shoe contacts, and it's obvious that I don't have access to Leica's firmware.

You would be looking for something like this with a pass-through for the EVF on top. Since it's the same EVF as used on the M10, I'd have thought someone would have worked this out by now. Or, because the EVF is just a screen, you could, technically, build an EVF into the back of a flash. You could even, with a little cleverness, take an existing EVF apart and Tony Stark it into an existing Leica flash.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 2

You would need to connect to these pins in the front of the hot shoe if you wanted to make an adapter. These would be power, ground, and various multiplexed data pins. Ya... I think it could work. Anyone have a 3D printer? 

I'd suggest that the adapter fit so that you mount a flash on top of it, and then a bracket holds the EVF to the left (looking at the back of the camera) of the hot shoe. So the EVF would end up being roughly where an optical finder on an M would be. 

As this (should, technically) work for an M10 AND a Leica T, you might actually sell some.

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 1

Yes, it would look clunky, unless a decent industrial designer could work something up. A flash with EVF built in would be a much better solution, but I can't see Leica making one.

Edited by fastfashn

^^^  Would it be possible to mount the flash on top of the VF ? The higher the flash the better and unlikely that for normal flash use the VF would need flipping up.

dunk 

You could do it with an L bracket, again, it would be ugly, and the balance point of the camera would be whacked. Pity you could not use WiFi or bluetooth to trigger a remote flash.

Edited by fastfashn

Remote flash would be fine ...

dunk 

Again, it should be fairly simple. You could even ... If the focus assist LED were modified... in software, maybe they could swap it for a bi-color LED... you could use that as a remote optical flash trigger. Heck, they could do the same thing Apple (etc). does and make the focus assist LED an actual flashy-flash. Now THAT would make sense, AND it would not require any mods to power supplies or heat-sinking. 

Edited by fastfashn