Leica TL2 officially announced!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica today launches the third member of the Leica TL series. The Leica TL2 improves many technical specs significantly. The most important features at a glance.

• 24 MP CMOS Sensor (Leica TL: 16 MP)
  • Maestro II image processor
  • 165 ms AF focussing time (CIPA standard)
  • Electronic shutter up to 1/40,000 sec
  • ISO 100 – 50,000 (Leica TL: max. ISO 12,500)
  • 32 GB internal buffer (Leica TL: 16 GB)
  • 3.7“ Touch LCD / 1.3 MP
  • Continuous shooting at 7 fps (mechanical shuttoer), max. 20 fps (electronic shutter)
  • 4k video @ 30 fps, Full HD @ 60 fps
  • UHS II SD card compatible

The Leica TL2 is available as of now in black and silver, the recommended price is € 1,950.

» Full information, images and press release

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Great but no built in viewfinder or flash. I love my Leica T with the flash, and use it occasionally for fill flash. Will wait for the next generation. I applaud the improvements and am sure the camera is significantly improved in function but am waiting for the built in viewfinder to upgrade.

• Like 1

I like the e-shutter, max 20 fps - but battery says only 250 shots? I like the 24 mp, faster processor and auto focus - but DPReview says autofocus not great for fast-moving objects? I continue to applaud the great build quality and feel, but for me, no integrated VF + no integrated flash = no sale (probably). I will still try it first at the nearby Leica store before making any final decision!

Would like to know T/TL sales figures and its customer profile, as I'm puzzled how they can sell this pricey system camera in their desired numbers, in this configuration. Oh well, Leica has that data and must know best. I wanted to buy TL2 as a general purpose camera, but I'm put-off by the add-on EVF, having disliked it on my X-Vario. And I really dislike having to choose between using either the VF or a flash - but not both, simultaneously.

I do believe Leica is really on the right track these days...I'm interested in their SL, Q, and M10, although don't have a compelling need for these at the moment. I currently use my Nikon D500 (great autofocus) and Sony 7dMII (great resolution). But I continue to look for a way back into the Leica family.

Edited by jjb

Its pretty much the minimalist upgrade, which is disappointing.  

Upgraded sensor, and the requisite imaging bus.  Same mediocre external EVF.

So more pixels, and faster.  That was obviously going to happen in any update.  That's the base case.

We all hoped for more. 

It's like a Sony a6500, minus the phase detection and EVF.

Swap the flip screen out for a touch screen.

Feels akin to the M10 update.  It's a better camera, but really the minimal update any of us could have hoped for.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Its pretty much the minimalist upgrade, which is disappointing.  

Upgraded sensor, and the requisite imaging bus.  Same mediocre external EVF.

So more pixels, and faster.  That was obviously going to happen in any update.  That's the base case.

We all hoped for more. 

It's like a Sony a6500, minus the phase detection and EVF.

Swap the flip screen out for a touch screen.

Feels akin to the M10 update.  It's a better camera, but really the minimal update any of us could have hoped for.

The EVF is not mediocre. Also, I'm quite enjoying my T (which I got for free in concert with an 11-23 lens which wasn't free), happy to see there's an upgrade path. "We all hoped for more." - Did we "" now? Don't speak for everyone as though you are a Trump. Thanks!

Oh, and this? "It's like a Sony a6500, minus the phase detection and EVF." I'm not a Sony fan. Their lenses are not my favs, and I don't like the Sony interfaces. Besides it being a camera, it's not a Sony 6xxx at all, and when Sony comes out with a new camera in three months, it won't be like that either.

Edited by fastfashn
  • Like 1

Please don't take it personally, and "we" may be a bit broad.. but go look at the rumors thread.  Lots rumors/spec wishlists.. this upgrade is pretty base case.

It's not a bad camera.

Would have hoped for more.

Re: EVF, its fine.  I used it on the X 113.

I've used lots of EVFs.. the Q, SL, and $700 m4/3 cameras.

This EVF is a $500 accessory that is on-par with the built-in EVF on $700 cameras.

For 2017, and the price, they could have done a lot better.

i love my T [with M lenses], over 1000 shots printed, and many others in magazines..16MP was already great..24mp will obviously be better.i already have the evf which i quite like, never ever used the flash so dont really care.

The EVF is not mediocre. Also, I'm quite enjoying my T (which I got for free in concert with an 11-23 lens which wasn't free), happy to see there's an upgrade path. "We all hoped for more." - Did we "" now? Don't speak for everyone as though you are a Trump. Thanks!

Oh, and this? "It's like a Sony a6500, minus the phase detection and EVF." I'm not a Sony fan. Their lenses are not my favs, and I don't like the Sony interfaces. Besides it being a camera, it's not a Sony 6xxx at all, and when Sony comes out with a new camera in three months, it won't be like that either.

Hmmm.  24 MP at the APS-C size scales up to 36 MP at full frame.  I wonder when that will come along.  I am kinda intrigued.  For video with the SL, I've gotten copies of all three T zooms.  Maybe I should get in line for the camera they were designed for.

Does the TL2 video (or T/TL for that matter) come with an L-Log profiile?

scott

similar to the SL so am sure someone will post a video soon

MP4 only @

3840 x 2160 p (4K) 30fps, 1920 x 1080 p (FHD) 60 fps or 1280 x 720 p (HD) fps or 1280 x 720 p (HD) 120 fps (SLOMO)

Hmmm.  24 MP at the APS-C size scales up to 36 MP at full frame.  I wonder when that will come along.  I am kinda intrigued.  For video with the SL, I've gotten copies of all three T zooms.  Maybe I should get in line for the camera they were designed for.

Does the TL2 video (or T/TL for that matter) come with an L-Log profiile?

scott

Anyone writing the thus far rather negative comments should maybe consider that upgraded cameras do not evolve overnight and adding e.g. a built-in VF would likely be a major design upgrade … and depend on that VF firstly being available.  It's not something that appears as if by magic.

dunk

That seems like a very basic set of video options, with some fun stuff, but not with the choice of MP4/MOV  (PC vs Mac) or the cinema speeds 30, 25, 24 fps.  And no C4K with true 4100 pixels lines.  So I won't hold my breath for other professional features.  The docs at the moment don't even say how many fps are used for the 720P.

Anyone writing the thus far rather negative comments should maybe consider that upgraded cameras do not evolve overnight and adding e.g. a built-in VF would likely be a major design upgrade … and depend on that VF firstly being available.  It's not something that appears as if by magic.

dunk

Personally, I am a fan of the existing viewfinder, and if they simply make the whole LV process run faster, with less blackout. that would make perfect sense to me.  Somebody wrote a comment that assumed that the speed limitation was in the viewfinder, which didn't sound necessary to me.  It turns out that it is in the camera instead, and has been improved.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

Please don't take it personally, and "we" may be a bit broad.. but go look at the rumors thread.  Lots rumors/spec wishlists.. this upgrade is pretty base case.

It's not a bad camera.

Would have hoped for more.

Re: EVF, its fine.  I used it on the X 113.

I've used lots of EVFs.. the Q, SL, and $700 m4/3 cameras.

This EVF is a $500 accessory that is on-par with the built-in EVF on $700 cameras.

For 2017, and the price, they could have done a lot better.

I think the EVF is rather good - maybe one would like more resolution, but that's equal to most other mirrorless (including Sony and Olympus). But it has a nice big screen and unlike most other cameras it isn't too contrasty. Better than the one in the Q I reckon.  It would be nice to have one like the SL, but then it would be as big as a frankenfinder!

best

• Like 7

I think the EVF is rather good - maybe one would like more resolution, but that's equal to most other mirrorless (including Sony and Olympus). But it has a nice big screen and unlike most other cameras it isn't too contrasty. Better than the one in the Q I reckon.  It would be nice to have one like the SL, but then it would be as big as a frankenfinder!

best

Jono,

I have both the Q and the original T, and I find the EVF on the Q to be more akin to looking through an optical one. However, it's not clear what this is due to - the lower processing power of the T compared to the Q, the data buss speed, or the EVF refresh rate itself. While I'm pleased with the resolution of the EFV, it does seem a bit more laggy.

Assuming you've used the Q as well - can you comment on whether the improved speed in the TL2 (now using the same processor as the Q) on the brings the overall experience using the EVF on the TL2 in line with the Q?

Also, does the TL2 do focus peaking (like the Q does) while using manual focus (in particular with M lenses)? The website description does indicate the presence of focus peaking, but I'm not clear on whether this works with M lenses.

Many thanks in advance for your comments - or anyone else's on the matter!

Edited by rpopescu

Leica couldn't give the TL2 a better EVF than on the M10, which only underline the fact that the 3.68m Q's EVF (as a minimum) should have been available for both the M10 (removable) and the TL2 (incorporated).

In my opinion, the SL and the Q are the only camera bodies worthy of Leica today (mid 2017).