Leica TL2 officially announced!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica couldn't give the TL2 a better EVF than on the M10, which only underline the fact that the 3.68m Q's EVF (as a minimum) should have been available for both the M10 (removable) and the TL2 (incorporated).

In my opinion, the SL and the Q are the only camera bodies worthy of Leica today (mid 2017).

Leica Camera AG likely had to use whatever accessory VF was available for the M10 at the time the camera was being designed … similarly for the TL2.

The Viso 020T is an excellent finder.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Leica today launches the third member of the Leica TL series. The Leica TL2 improves many technical specs significantly. The most important features at a glance.

• 24 MP CMOS Sensor (Leica TL: 16 MP)
  • Maestro II image processor
  • 165 ms AF focussing time (CIPA standard)
  • Electronic shutter up to 1/40,000 sec
  • ISO 100 – 50,000 (Leica TL: max. ISO 12,500)
  • 32 GB internal buffer (Leica TL: 16 GB)
  • 3.7“ Touch LCD / 1.3 MP
  • Continuous shooting at 7 fps (mechanical shuttoer), max. 20 fps (electronic shutter)
  • 4k video @ 30 fps, Full HD @ 60 fps
  • UHS II SD card compatible

The Leica TL2 is available as of now in black and silver, the recommended price is € 1,950.

» Full information, images and press release

On the Leica site, it shows TL also having 32GB internal memory but is UHS ll SD card compatible new?

For me now I have to decide if buying the TL at $500 less than TL2 or if enough changes to justify price difference for the TL2.

Dan

Can someone confirm to me if the EVF Visoflex is the same as on the original T - if so I will probably upgrade - like the focus peaking, DNG only,  faster AF and of course more pixels - that will do. Would like a bit of in body I.S - doesnt have to be world beating but a couple of stops would have helped along with the better iso range... If I have to buy a new EVF !!!!

I think the EVF is rather good - maybe one would like more resolution, but that's equal to most other mirrorless (including Sony and Olympus). But it has a nice big screen and unlike most other cameras it isn't too contrasty. Better than the one in the Q I reckon.  It would be nice to have one like the SL, but then it would be as big as a frankenfinder!

best

What's the blackout like, Jono?

I am still a little confused!...

Can anyone confirm that this announced TL2 is, indeed, the one that was registered under Model number: 5370, and Serial: 1080?

Then, what happened to that 74.7 H that was supposed to be about 5mm more than previous T/TL?...

I am aware that rumors are rumors and not always right. But we have seen the copies of the registration that are different from the camera!... Or maybe, I am completely lost!...  

• Like 1

Leica can manage USB 3 connectivity AND 4K movies WITH HDMI port on the diminutive TL but not on the M? Leica is so frustrating!

I think my first suspicions have now been confirmed - The monkeys who had over run Hasselblad have now been run out of Sweden and taken over Leica Wetlzar instead.

If by chance anyone is still alive at Leica, make your way to the roof, send a smoke signal for help.

I am still a little confused!...

Can anyone confirm that this announced TL2 is, indeed, the one that was registered under Model number: 5370, and Serial: 1080?

Then, what happened to that 74.7 H that was supposed to be about 5mm more than previous T/TL?...

I am aware that rumors are rumors and not always right. But we have seen the copies of the registration that are different from the camera!... Or maybe, I am completely lost!...

It's the power switch sticking out

So we can use the EVF from the Model T or M 10  (020) -  that is good as far as I am concerned - it is a very useable EVF.  It also looks like the dimensions are exactly the same as the T and TL, so I can also use my very expensive Italian hand made leather case for the new TL2 ..  I am pleased they did not change the dimensions.   My take on the remake is that they upgraded the sensor to 24 meg, and along with that sensor comes better performance in speed and ISO.  Also the internal memory has been doubled - which means little to me.  Oh, and they got rid of the flash.  No big deal.

• Like 1

Great news. I love my TL and will get the TL2 next year when the price did drop a bit. With a built in viewfinder it would be too perfect, although have to admit that the lack of the viewfinder had me deterred me for quite a while, but eventually I got used to it.

Don't think you can compare it with a sony 6xxx. I had the sony 6300 with the highly praised zeiss primes and was kind of disappointed due toe the artificial colours I could not get rid off. I have no idea how leica does it, but the skin tones, greens, measuring are so much better. the photos hardly need processing with lightroom.

I use the leica 23mm f2 and - thanks to this forum - the zeiss 35mm f 2.8 lenses. both are great lenses with unique character. I will post some shots when time admits.   

Cheers

• Like 3

Leica couldn't give the TL2 a better EVF than on the M10, which only underline the fact that the 3.68m Q's EVF (as a minimum) should have been available for both the M10 (removable) and the TL2 (incorporated).

In my opinion, the SL and the Q are the only camera bodies worthy of Leica today (mid 2017).

The only thing that REALLY matters are the lenses, and the T lenses seem to be excellent. "Worthy of..." I can imagine people back in the day whining about the M5 (it's weird!), and the R8 (looks melted!), and the M6 (not an M3!). "Worthy of" is why we get basement trolls whining about a female Starbuck in a rebooted Galactica. We are lucky; lucky that Leica didn't go the way of Kodak and get bought out by some Russian brokerage or some such thing.

• Like 1

So we can use the EVF from the Model T or M 10  (020) -  that is good as far as I am concerned - it is a very useable EVF.  It also looks like the dimensions are exactly the same as the T and TL, so I can also use my very expensive Italian hand made leather case for the new TL2 ..  I am pleased they did not change the dimensions.   My take on the remake is that they upgraded the sensor to 24 meg, and along with that sensor comes better performance in speed and ISO.  Also the internal memory has been doubled - which means little to me.  Oh, and they got rid of the flash.  No big deal.

Hey, let us know for certain if the old leather cases work. I wonder if the snap cases will, since the grip shape has changed a bit. I kind of with the flash had stayed if just for remote flash triggering.

Edited by fastfashn

Looks like an excellent update. New circuitry that provides great speed eats the battery, obviously, and perhaps increases (over)heating issues in such a thin body — therefore freeing up space for necessary things, and therefore lack of flash. But that is not so important — most mid-range and pro DSLRs have no flash either. 

All specs are incredible and this camera and lenses can be used professionally and without a second thought, no doubts.

One question through, for those who may know: what is the low light sensitivity of the AF in TL/TL2 camera? I cannot find that information.

Edited by Apoqualia

I just found this on my MSN home page ..  a few more photos of the new TL2  ..and another opinion.  As predicted, the article ended with  -

You can certainly get as much or more from a much less expensive mirrorless camera from Sony, Fujifilm, or Olympus, but none of those can quite match the TL2’s style. You just have to be prepared to pay quite a bit for those style points." 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/leica%E2%80%99s-new-tl2-is-a-much-improved-mirrorless-camera/ar-BBE9O5h?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartandhp#image=1

I just found this on my MSN home page ..  a few more photos of the new TL2  ..and another opinion.  As predicted, the article ended with  -

You can certainly get as much or more from a much less expensive mirrorless camera from Sony, Fujifilm, or Olympus, but none of those can quite match the TL2’s style. You just have to be prepared to pay quite a bit for those style points."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/leica%E2%80%99s-new-tl2-is-a-much-improved-mirrorless-camera/ar-BBE9O5h?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartandhp#image=1

Yes, indeed, more of what exactly?

More buttons?

More recycled plastic?

More sub-optimal optical glass for basic lenses?

More cumbersome menus?

More clicks to do same stuff?

More space taken to write logo on it?

More visible lugs?

More time spent in PP and RAW development of their files?

Those are the only mores I can think of that Sony or Olympus of Fujifilm or whoever else may provide. In everything that matters, though, they provide far less. 

Edited by Apoqualia
  • Like 2

Those are the only mores I can think of that Sony or Olympus of Fujifilm or whoever else may provide. 

The ability to use EVF and Flash (or wireless triggers) at the same time perhaps...

• Like 2

IPhone 7 takes great pictures and is even cheaper than Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus!...

I am always amused by these people who decide what we should or should not do with our own money!... :D

The ability to use EVF and Flash (or wireless triggers) at the same time perhaps...

On that, Anyone know of the TL2 can turn off ‘exposure simulation’ for use with external flashes?

Seems like a solid upgrade to me.

I would love a built in EVF, however the ability to tilt up the view finder 90 deg to look down into the camera is something I love.

(especially for portraits of kids or people sitting etc.)

4k, image peaking, bigger buffer, faster processor, bigger image files, electronic shutter. Etc.

Funny thing is I am not considering this to replace the T, but instead my SL.

I got a SL to replace a M240, but couldn’t let the M go. Maybe the SL might be swapped with the TL2...

The ability to charge the camera over USB is a big plus. There are a heap of battery power banks available to charge your phone. I have used one of these on the old T when I have been running out of power.

For a current T user that already has invested in the T system (EVF, a few lenses, lens adapters, spare batteries), I think it is a solid upgrade. If you won’t get much for your old T, then a T and a TL2 would be a great combination!!

• Like 2