HSS for Leica SL?

hhn360

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone use HSS with the SL and what flashes do you use for that?

I use Profoto (D2, B1, B1X, B2) with my Nikons and use the Profoto-N transmitter. Obviously Profoto doesn't support Leica with HSS at the moment, so I think another strobe will be necessary. Thanks.

I like the concept of having the convenience of +/- controlling the light source outputs remotely via the strobe dedicated transmitter (who needs TTL?),.....but the bulk of the strobe puts me off. There is no way I can travel with that on air. If only the strobe can be no larger than the size of a SF64. If my understanding is correct, there is no need for HyperSync to be controlled by the camera's metering. All that will be required is the conventional hotshoe contact to trigger the radio transmitter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the concept of having the convenience of +/- controlling the light source outputs remotely via the strobe dedicated transmitter (who needs TTL?),.....but the bulk of the strobe puts me off. There is no way I can travel with that on air. If only the strobe can be no larger than the size of a SF64. If my understanding is correct, there is no need for HyperSync to be controlled by the camera's metering. All that will be required is the conventional hotshoe contact to trigger the radio transmitter.

I'm used to carrying around a strobe since I shoot fashion and always work with strobes.

Thanks very much. I just ordered this. I had heard about this strobe but didn't realize they made a transmitter for Leica.

I view this web, it says the HSS only work with their strobe not the others, so are you also ordering their strobe? otherwise it doesn't make any differences though

I view this web, it says the HSS only work with their strobe not the others, so are you also ordering their strobe? otherwise it doesn't make any differences though

Yes I ordered their strobe and the transmitter. The Leica transmitter is backordered for about a month. They said the demand for the Leica transmitter was higher than they had anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I ordered their strobe and the transmitter. The Leica transmitter is backordered for about a month. They said the demand for the Leica transmitter was higher than they had anticipated.

have you received your Priorate set up? maybe you can share some thought with us.... Thanks

have you received your Priorate set up? maybe you can share some thought with us.... Thanks

I'm still waiting for the Leica transmitter.  I will provide some comments when that arrives and I've had a chance to do a shoot with it. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I apologize for my ignorance, but why these flashes are as expensive as Profoto? How good are they compared to Broncolor and Profoto?

I used Priolite only 2 times in a studio of a friend. They look a little bit old style (unlike the beautiful Profotos) but are rock solid and very versatile. Beside some plastic parts (e.g. carry handle) all component parts (electronic, condenser, radio technology, are developed and produced (not only assembled) in Germany. 

The founder of Priolite has a history with Hensel. 

While waiting for the arrival of either Leica or a third perty vendor to make wireless TTL/HSS triggering available for Leica cameras, I stumbled the 2 videos on LED lights for the photography rather than always shying away from them thinking that they are for video taking applications:

ce Light Video:     https://youtu.be/0PQoApV16zw

LED Light Video:  

I suppose my wait for TTL/HSS Off Camera Flash to support my needs for SL & M10 is over.

Unfortunately LEDs have two weaknesses: its another colour curve and permanent light, if strong enough, opens the eyes. For professionals a no go.

Care to eloborate your points? Isn't a permanant light (artifical) no difference from the natural light? Deosn't the flash or strobe will also cast a different color tone against the environmental light? The forum is a great place to listen to conflicting views. It gets me thinking more broadly!

Isn't a permanant light (artifical) no difference from the natural light?

You are talking about LED. LEDs have no continuum over the colour curve, some frequencies are missing  - that's the difference of LED and other permanent artficial light

Edited by Alo Ako