HSS for Leica SL?

hhn360

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, antigallican said:

I wonder if Rotolight might be exploiting the fact that Elinchrom doesn't have the strobe type HSS but instead has what they call HS - it times the full part of the light pulse's bell curve with the shutter .  

Elinchrom use HS with their ELB1200 strobe pack but HSS with the ELB400/500 units. So the Skyport triggers have to manage both systems of fast shutter speed syncing. Not sure how Rotolight comes into this but I suspect they may be using the HS syncing with their units, as you say.

• 3 years later...

Afternoon,

Just joining the conversation.  I have successfully configured my Leica Q2 to fire the Rotolight AEOS 2 with the Elinchrom Skyport for Nikon.  The flash is firing at shutter speeds of 1/1000 and above with no apparent banding with the camera at F1.7.  

At first, my LCD (exposure preview) was blinking (dark-bright, etc) before taking an image, but a little experimentation and Youtube (Adventure & Art), I went to page 2 of the menu, exposure preview PASM or PAS...you have to select PAS...(I am also shooting in manual), this means I will not get a preview of my manual exposure, which is fine for me.

Hopeful to get some test shots soon with a model...but just wanted to add these findings here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoleyAMG said:

Afternoon,

Just joining the conversation.  I have successfully configured my Leica Q2 to fire the Rotolight AEOS 2 with the Elinchrom Skyport for Nikon.  The flash is firing at shutter speeds of 1/1000 and above with no apparent banding with the camera at F1.7.  

At first, my LCD (exposure preview) was blinking (dark-bright, etc) before taking an image, but a little experimentation and Youtube (Adventure & Art), I went to page 2 of the menu, exposure preview PASM or PAS...you have to select PAS...(I am also shooting in manual), this means I will not get a preview of my manual exposure, which is fine for me.

Hopeful to get some test shots soon with a model...but just wanted to add these findings here.

I assume you are doing Manual flash mode not TTL!

8 hours ago, FoleyAMG said:

Afternoon,

Also note that your results with the Q2 are possible because it uses a leaf shutter.

• Like 1