19 hours ago, Photoworks said:

only two options for HSS and they are from Leica.  I suggest the SF 60 as it can take external battery otherwise SF 40

no other brands will work at this time

Yes, there are only two options.

If someone has nisson's i60a or i40a, i hope can try it. because  they look exactly like sf60 / 40, and They are most likely the ODM of Leica

4 hours ago, Syu said:

Yes, there are only two options.

If someone has nisson's i60a or i40a, i hope can try it. because  they look exactly like sf60 / 40, and They are most likely the ODM of Leica

usually they don't work out of the box. they need different firmware

There are actually THREE options for HSS and TTL with HSS for the Leica hotshoe mount, available new. The SF 58 is discontinued.

The Leica SF40 and SF60 will work from the hotshoe or with a Nikon TTL extension cable.

For wireless TTL you can use the SF60 and/or Nissin MG10 hammerhead flash (with a firmware upgrade) and the Leica trigger.

The Nissin i40 and i60 don’t work out of the box and although a firmware was promised (not user updatable) I don’t know if it was ever developed.

Gordon

On 8/22/2021 at 9:37 PM, Photoworks said:

only two options for HSS and they are from Leica.  I suggest the SF 60 as it can take external battery otherwise SF 40

no other brands will work at this time

There are more than two options to acheive HSS using SF40 & SF60. The SF58 & SF64 for Leca brand and the Nissin MG-10 used with Leica SF-C1 Comander for 160kW output. Technically all Nissin NCS flashes can work with Leica SF-C1 comander (provided the flash firmware is updated to recognise SF-C1).

I was not aware that the SF58 does not work with the SL2 as mine has been collecting dust ever since I started using the SF-C1 with MG-10 & SF60s. The last time I used the SF58 was when I still had my SL before moving on to SL2. 

There have been some comments here that there is a firmware upgrade for the SF58 to enable it to work fully with newer cameras, and that it can be done by Leica (but not by the user). Does anyone have more details on this? I asked local Leica support about it (in the UK) and got the answer that the SF58 is obsolete and there is no option to update it.

Also - how much of it wouldn't work on an SL2-S without upgrading the firmware? Is it just HSS?

John

7 hours ago, Bikie John said:

There have been some comments here that there is a firmware upgrade for the SF58 to enable it to work fully with newer cameras, and that it can be done by Leica (but not by the user). Does anyone have more details on this? I asked local Leica support about it (in the UK) and got the answer that the SF58 is obsolete and there is no option to update it.

Also - how much of it wouldn't work on an SL2-S without upgrading the firmware? Is it just HSS?

John

Leica wetzlar store YouTube talk about it. In German.  They said that it will work with latest firmware uptade. But still only recommended if you already have the flash.  They said for full compatible flash get a newer one. 

Update - the helpful guys at Leica UK customer service say that it can be done, but they can't do it on site and the flash has to go back to The Mothership. I have asked about costs and likely timescales and am awaiting reply.

John