Replacement Logo for my M10

CJJon

im a fan of the red dot. i dont get why people remove it.

Red is a color that attracts the human eye instantly. As a street photographer in the Great Gloomy Northwest, the last thing I need as I take a shot is a big red dot telling the world "Look at me! I am bright RED" perhaps ruining the shot.

YMMV of course - different strokes for different folks.

Red is a color that attracts the human eye instantly. As a street photographer in the Great Gloomy Northwest, the last thing I need as I take a shot is a big red dot telling the world "Look at me! I am bright RED" perhaps ruining the shot.

YMMV of course - different strokes for different folks.

It always sounds a bit creepy to me when people talk about this huge need for discreetness in street photography. i can understand shutter noise disturbing a subject but the color red? i mean what exactly are you shooting? hopefully you're being ethical about it.

It always sounds a bit creepy to me when people talk about this huge need for discreetness in street photography. i can understand shutter noise disturbing a subject but the color red? i mean what exactly are you shooting? hopefully you're being ethical about it.

Much of the issue is with being able to capture scenes as naturally as possible, without the situation being disturbed by awareness of external factors.  In a similar manner, a shoulder mounted ENG news camera attracts at lot of attention and can cause subjects to behave differently, so a lot of new gatherers have begun using DSLR's to be more discreet.  Secondly, many people just don't take well to being candidly photographed, which is the whole point of street photography.  It's a matter of protection for the street photographer.  There are the occasional mavericks who get right up in people's faces with a flash on the street, but that's just inviting trouble.

As for the red dot: I have a black M9 with black tape, and a silver chrome M7 with no tape.  I've had the M9 for years and the only people who identified it as a Leica were passing camera enthusiasts who were carrying similar cameras.  Family and friends had no idea.  The first time I took my M7 out with friends, one of them looked at the camera and said, "You have a Leica?  I didn't know you had a Leica!"  But I had been shooting them for the past few years with a black taped M9, and he had never mentioned it.  So that's a bit of anecdotal evidence that the red dot does attract attention.  Even photographer Karen Nakamura has Hello Kitty stickers on her M7!

Edited by Archiver

Eric1 - Archiver's reply is a great answer to your question.

How many of you 'discreet' photographers remove the badge from your expensive cars? Just a mischievous question.

Personally, I think it is paranoid to worry about the Red Dot on your Leica, regardless of the colour, wrt to being discreet. Your 'target' is far more likely to be alerted by your stance and demeanour long before they spy your Red Dot from, "how far away?"

• Like 4

That red dot is too expensive to remove!  The option in an a la carte build is about US$240 from memory  :o

Leica will not replace the red dot in a-la-carte. Should you manage to lose one, a new one will cost next to nothing. But I suspect you were joking. ;)