Leica 5370: a Leica TL with an integrated viewfinder to be announced in 2017?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

A few considerations to begin with:

- The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has just registered a Leica radio module https://fccid.io/N5A5370
- this module is intended to be mounted in a digital camera, model number 5370 https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3334626
- the Leica 5370 uses the BP-DC13 battery
- this battery is that of Leica T and TL
- the dimensions of the Leica 5370 are: 134mm wide x 74.7mm high x 33mm deep
- the dimensions of the Leica T and TL are: 134mm wide x 69mm high x 33mm deep with the trigger on top of the top plate
- the dimensions of the Leica 5370 are therefore identical to those of the Leica T and TL with the exception of the height; it is 5.7mm higher (a bit more than that excluding the T/TL's trigger)
- Leica has requested that the confidentiality of a certain number of information (external and internal photos, user manual, etc.) be preserved until 3 September 2017
https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3334625

My surmise:

- Leica will announce a new version of the Leica TL with an integrated viewfinder between now and next September.

• Like 8

As we are not the first of April yet, I hope this is note a hoke; and, I hope the guess about the EVF is right. But also, if they are really making a new T, I hope it would be with a more modern sensor.

So; could the new T look like this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It does sound like the next Leica T, because the width and depth are identical... and lack of EVF sounds like the number one complaint. My guess:

leica-t-pic.jpg

and top...

leica-t-pic-top.jpg

This is something I'd like. An interchangeable lens leica Q type camera.

Edited by dereken

It does sound like the next Leica T, because the width and depth are identical... 

Not to mention the battery is identical...

Same form factor with built-in EVF would be ideal as far as I am concerned.

Besides that hoping for a more responsive body, better high ISO performance and a quicker way to change spot focus.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is something I'd like. An interchangeable lens leica Q type camera.

Leica Q is a full frame camera. If you like to have a full frame interchangeable, you should look for SL.

T has a APS-C sensor and is interchangeable. Completely a different beast from Q! ;)

Why would Leica bother coming out with the TL if the T2 was just around the corner?

I cannot say I understand everything they do or they have done in the past . Introducing another letter was not maybe consuming too much R&D. They weren't ready yet with my all singing and dancing MQ and may have been required to change the name to TL? I'd forgive them.

Apparently there was a copyright issue with the T designation. Hence the name change to TL but the same camera

I thought it was just to get the name in line with the SL. Leica changed the T mount to L mount and the camera needed to show this.

Very much looking forward to the new model if it has improved AF performance.

Gordon

• Like 1

The copyright story is what Leica Wetzlar tells their store owners, without any further details, I got the same story when in Leica Store Las Vegas.

I haven't found any source yet who can confirm this with 100% certainty.

Some other rumors (copied from LeicaRumors):

"During a recent conversation with a representive at the local dealer, he hinted that it took 3 years to develop the T (2011 - 2014) and somehow Leica unluckily locked in a contract of some old technology in 2011 that was soon outdated, which explains the struggling autofocus and EVF lag. He did also hint at me that there would be a revamp for the new T this year to catch up with the newer technology that the Q uses, e.g. autofocus and quiet shutter. Sounds like he was onto something."

Why would Leica bother coming out with the TL if the T2 was just around the corner?

Supply chain availability is one possibility. For example if the foundry that makes the chips used for their image processor wanted to retool and Leica was forced to move to the next semiconductor process. The cheapest way to do this may be to just add additional storage to the ASICs mask rather than completely redesign the chip.

Another possibility is they hit a wall with the design and couldn't fix some subtle problems and so they upgraded to some other chip to work around the problem and we just haven't noticed the difference yet or it isn't yet in the firmware.

This sounds like it may put me in a dilemma - I like the waist level use of the evf but would like a 20+ Mp sensor and focus peaking if possible. Maybe they could copy the lumix gx8 angled evf somehow for me !

Edited by noshtalja
  • Like 1