Leica 5370: a Leica TL with an integrated viewfinder to be announced in 2017?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, it's only in the US where the currency has recovered somewhat against others. Plus it's 18 months in so mid cycle not early on. About the same time every other brand drops prices to stimulate sales.

(...)

it's not only in the US. The Leica SL's RRP went from €6,900 to €5,900 in France and Germany (and other countries I presume).

The trouble here is that Leica needs to compete with Fuji in order to sell more T cameras. Unfortunately, the Fujis are just much more refined and more thoughtfully designed, they are much more responsive and their bodies and excellent lenses are much, much better value. Leica needs to really pull something out of the bag here, or sales will just continue to decline. I am very sceptical that they will get anywhere near the excellence of either the X-pro 2, the XT-2 or the XT-20.

The camera that so many want Leica to produce is the one that they stubbornly won't. An interchangeable lens Q, no bigger than an M, that natively takes M lenses but also accepts new, small autofocus lenses, is almost everyone's dream. Leica won't produce it because they think they know best. That is why they produced the poor selling SL with its ridiculous lenses, that so few want to buy.

Please tell me how producing cameras that from the beginning get rejected because of very, very obvious limitations is a good business strategy? Without the M series Leica would have gone under years ago. Why not build what people actually want?

• Like 1

I'm interested - where do you get your sales figures for the TL and SL from?

Leica will never compete on price - they rely on quality (and caché they can extract from strong brand values).  If they can't provide the quality, then their future is very dim indeed.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm interested - where do you get your sales figures for the TL and SL from?

AFAIK there are no figures publicly available.

Earlier in the thread somebody referenced Leica's statutory accounts of 2015 and a drop in T sales in 2015.

If I recall correctly the drop was something like 74% and unexpected by Leica.

So even though there are no sales figures available I believe it is probably fair to say that the T is not living up to Leica's commercial expectations.

• Like 1

AFAIK there are no figures publicly available.

Earlier in the thread somebody referenced Leica's statutory accounts of 2015 and a drop in T sales in 2015.

If I recall correctly the drop was something like 74% and unexpected by Leica.

So even though there are no sales figures available I believe it is probably fair to say that the T is not living up to Leica's commercial expectations.

.....which were?

I enjoy coming to this forum, for all the commercial insight into Leica's business plans and outcomes.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

The trouble here is that Leica needs to compete with Fuji in order to sell more T cameras. Unfortunately, the Fujis are just much more refined and more thoughtfully designed, they are much more responsive and their bodies and excellent lenses are much, much better value. Leica needs to really pull something out of the bag here, or sales will just continue to decline. I am very sceptical that they will get anywhere near the excellence of either the X-pro 2, the XT-2 or the XT-20.

The camera that so many want Leica to produce is the one that they stubbornly won't. An interchangeable lens Q, no bigger than an M, that natively takes M lenses but also accepts new, small autofocus lenses, is almost everyone's dream. Leica won't produce it because they think they know best. That is why they produced the poor selling SL with its ridiculous lenses, that so few want to buy.

Please tell me how producing cameras that from the beginning get rejected because of very, very obvious limitations is a good business strategy? Without the M series Leica would have gone under years ago. Why not build what people actually want?

Some people seem to think the Q can easily be morphed into an interchangeable lens full frame camera, and remain the same size and weight. Can't be done. The SL size, or Sony A7 size is what you get! The T is thin and small because it is a cropped lens camera. The Q is marvelous for what it is. More likely they might come up with more Q designs for 40mm lens for example, but not interchangeable.

Latest rumors:

https://leicarumors.com/2017/07/05/additional-leica-tl2-camera-details.aspx/

• Very similar to the T and TL design
  • The TL2 will most likely not have an EVF
  • New 24MP sensor
  • No flash
  • Max ISO: 50,000
  • 4K video
  • New customizable interface with more selections and options
  • The edges of the body are now smoother compared to the T and TL
  • The official announcement will be on or around July 10th
Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Latest rumors:

https://leicarumors.com/2017/07/05/additional-leica-tl2-camera-details.aspx/

• Very similar to the T and TL design
  • The TL2 will most likely not have an EVF
  • New 24MP sensor
  • No flash
  • Max ISO: 50,000
  • 4K video
  • New customizable interface with more selections and options
  • The edges of the body are now smoother compared to the T and TL
  • The official announcement will be on or around July 10th

Too bad about removing the flash! That little flash helped me a lot for night shots with visoflex on! Not powerful, but it was really working very decently!

Now; if we take off the flash (and considering that an external flash couldn't work with EVF on) and add 1/2 cm to the height, wouldn't there be enough room for an integrated evf that would also allow us to use an external flash?... Hmmmm; wishful thinking?!

Edited by Louis
  • Like 5

Now; if we take off the flash (and considering that an external flash couldn't work with EVF on) and add 1/2 cm to the height, wouldn't there be enough room for an integrated evf that would also allow us to use an external flash?... Hmmmm; wishful thinking?!

Perhaps a reminder that less is more by visually highlighting where the built-in EVF could have been...?  das Wesentliche...  :)

Too bad about removing the flash! That little flash helped me a lot for night shots with visoflex on! Not powerful, but it was really working very decently!

I agree about the flash, in fact, for me, it's the main reason i chose a TL model camera, otherwise i use an M. The TL is my grab and go work camera and i need it for photos i often take in a dark warehouse where i can not get usable photographs without a flash and can't work with super grainy high iso pics.

If the flash is deleted, i will not upgrade and will be even more happy i bought a TL, which i am enjoying.

Edited by roverover

Actually the Leica T file quality is amazingly good, though perhaps overtaken by the X-Pro2 and X-T2.  If Leica can improve the resolution and dynamic range with the new T (assuming that's what they the new camera is) I would be very tempted.  It's never going to match the Fuji prices and the slightly lower lenses will still be an issue but nonetheless it would be a good proposition.

- Vikas

• Like 2

.....which were?

I enjoy coming to this forum, for all the commercial insight into Leica's business plans and outcomes.

there seem to be quite some people in this forum who have a secret information exchange with Leicas chief controllers and strategic planning department.

Let me try and rescue this thread from more talk by posting an image from the Q!  A few months old though it may be...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!