what lens pro put on SL

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

after use SL for while I start to wonder, the new SL50 AF is not as responsive as some user expected, and 90-280 is such a monster, if we want to stay in the SL system then 24-90 is the only choice for now.. and 24-90 is a zoom lens I guess many people doubt its IQ can be par with the SL50 or M lens..

so now I really like to know for those pro who use SL for their work, what lens you put it on?  you use AF or MF?

90-280mm is working well for me at weddings, have also been using the 50mm 1.4 l-m, but sold it and ordered the 50mm 1.4 SL - and I will use that for weddings.

I've no intention of buying the 24-90

I also complement it with the Leica Q (28mm 1.7 FF)

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

after use SL for while I start to wonder, the new SL50 AF is not as responsive as some user expected, and 90-280 is such a monster, if we want to stay in the SL system then 24-90 is the only choice for now.. and 24-90 is a zoom lens I guess many people doubt its IQ can be par with the SL50 or M lens..

so now I really like to know for those pro who use SL for their work, what lens you put it on?  you use AF or MF?

I'm not a fan of 24-90 or 50-SL but love the 90-280 APO ... doesn't seem huge to me  :D

Is it useful to know what a pro does ? 

Not for me - I guess many use their cameras in individual ways. There are no general "best practices".     :)

Or at least they would need to be sorted by topic to be useful (macro, portrait, reporting, wedding, street, travel, sports, landscape, ...)

I think nobody doubts the IQ of the 24-90. Not anymore. It is rather the size that is an obstacle. (but not for all and not under all circumstances).

Compared to other platforms the SL 50 is not slow, only compared to the two zooms. (A minor problem in my eyes).

You want f 1.4, so you need to take the time for the high precision needed. The slower zooms are much faster, maybe also the other (future) slower lenses .....

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 3

This pro shoots regularly with the following...

24-90, 90-280 and 50 SL.

17 TSE, 24 TSE, 45 TSE, 85mm PC

12-24 Art, 14mm Samyang, 65 MPE, 8-15mm fisheye.

A whole bunch of M and S lenses.

The 50SL is stunning and the 90-280 is like a 70-200L with more range and better optics. I don't see the issue.....

Gordon

Gordon

Have you used the M 50 Apo on the SL? How does it compare with the Sl-50? I don't have the chance to try before I buy. Given I have M lens and the 24-90 zooms I can conceptualise the pros and cons of both lens from a handling and use perspective, so primarily interested in image quality/differences. Is the SL-50 of equivalent quality to the 50 APO on the SL?

Thanks

Murray

The 24-90 appears to be as good as most Leica prime lenses throughout its range .......

but bear in mind it's equivalent to a 24/2.8, 50/3.5 and 90/4, so that is unsurprising. 

OIS gets you back 2-3 stops in practice and firmware lens correction irons out the other issues. 

If anything, the 24-90 is TOO good ...... Leica really need some to produce some pretty spectacular AF primes to counter the convenience of the current zoom. 

• Like 3

This camera is mainly staying on my Canon 500mm, does it work for u?

I don't think so because everybody has needs.

Yes, it does... (although far from all the time). Edited by helged

I use a bunch of R lenses, the SL24-90, and am getting the SL90-280. 

I tend to use manual focus most of the time, even with the SL24-90. I doubt that will change much with the SL90-280 ... I prefer to set up the joystick button with an AF lens to do 'focus on demand'. 

• Like 1

If I set both the APO-50 and 24-90 to f4 or f5.6 and shoot the same subject I can't tell a difference between the results.

If I shot a resolution chart with both I'm sure a difference would be more apparent.  But when going out into the world and shooting subjects like flowers, sculptures, or fabrics... I can't tell a difference.

I use a bunch of R lenses, the SL24-90, and am getting the SL90-280. 

I tend to use manual focus most of the time, even with the SL24-90. I doubt that will change much with the SL90-280 ... I prefer to set up the joystick button with an AF lens to do 'focus on demand'. 

Can you tell me how this is done?

Edited by Joshua Lowe