Leica Q - the image thread

Shooting "on the fly" or in this case out the car window - Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C.  The size and simplicity of the Q enables quick shooting when needed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beauport
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, beauport said:

Shooting "on the fly" or in this case out the car window - Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C.  The size and simplicity of the Q enables quick shooting when needed.

💁‍♂️ A smart salute to both the Q and our brave Marines!!

• Like 2

Munich. Leica Q, f 1.7, ISO 250, 1/60 s.

• Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 10

• Like 9

On 3/20/2019 at 5:22 AM, mehtasunil said:

Walking stick…

Leica Q @  1/60 Sec; f/1.7; ISO 640

Mehtasunil, your inspiring and technically amazing Walking Stick prompted me to make my first post here, to thank you for the inspiration. I hope to be able to achieve an image like that one day. Joe

130mm Crop

I had the good fortune yesterday of spying a Bobcat walking in our yard. I grabbed the Q and hid next to our living room window. He finally walked by and I got several good frames. This image is highly cropped to the equivalent of 130mm. So much for all the nay sayers of the Q2 saying the 75mm crop is a gimmick and imagine how much better it would be with a Q2. NOT! It could be sharper, but it was taken through two panes of glass which I'm certain is not clean following our winter season. It's not going to win any awards, but I got the shot and I'm pleased about that. I could have grabbed my Canon 5D3 and 70-200 lens and gotten a higher resolution image, but I like the challenge of taking photos that the Q was not really made for. Yes, I have a Q2 on order and no, I don't think I'll be a better photographer because of it. Leica Q, 1/250, f/1.7, ISO 100, processed and cropped in LR.

I added the un-cropped image. I did this as a screen shot so don't worry about resolution or sharpness. The crop factor is the point. It's a slightly different shot, but you get the idea. 

Edited by iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

130mm Crop

I had the good fortune yesterday of spying a Bobcat walking in our yard. I grabbed the Q and hid next to our living room window. He finally walked by and I got several good frames. This image is highly cropped to the equivalent of 130mm. So much for all the nay sayers of the Q2 saying the 75mm crop is a gimmick and imagine how much better it would be with a Q2. NOT! It could be sharper, but it was taken through two panes of glass which I'm certain is not clean following our winter season. It's not going to win any awards, but I got the shot and I'm pleased about that. I could have grabbed my Canon 5D3 and 70-200 lens and gotten a higher resolution image, but I like the challenge of taking photos that the Q was not really made for. Yes, I have a Q2 on order and no, I don't think I'll be a better photographer because of it. Leica Q, 1/250, f/1.7, ISO 100, processed and cropped in LR.

Well I think you got a terrific shot, regardless of the camera, cropping or anything else and I'd be proud of it.  Factoring in shooting through a window on a 28mm lens make it all the more special!  Just imagine though what it would have looked like through a Q2??  J/K

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

130mm Crop

Amazing !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

130mm Crop

Great object lesson on the whole cropping dialogue--thanks so much for sharing!  Did you use either of the crop frames on your Q to help compose when you took the shot?

4 hours ago, FHPdoc said:

Great object lesson on the whole cropping dialogue--thanks so much for sharing!  Did you use either of the crop frames on your Q to help compose when you took the shot?

I did not. I was a lot more concerned about a good focus and exposure on the snow. I never even thought about the zoomed mode. Maybe I’ll post the uncropped image so you all can see the difference. Its prey amazing that the Q IQ hangs together at such strong crops. Admittedly I’m not going to print this large, but that was never my goal. 

Edited by iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy)
To add the un-cropped image
  • Like 1

Edited by HansiMustermann
  • Like 13