36 shot portrait panorama

carstenw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

autopano pro and autostich, which one is better??? if i purchase autopano, will i get the serial number right away for it to work? thx

Autostitch is the technology core used to make Autopano Pro:

Autostitch

The free program is just a demo, and doesn't have the features of the full Autopano Pro product. You get the serial number right away, once the payment has gone through, as far as I recall.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carsten,

That original portrait shot just rocks. its creative and well done. you used the technology for something totally unexpected and did it so very well.

Thanks, Bo, that's very kind. I saw a shot on fredmiranda.com which was done in a similar way, but it was a car. I then did the portrait, so I cannot claim credit for the technique. I wanted to do something like it for a long time, but didn't actually do it until after seeing the car shot compelled me into action.

Mimicking Large Format "Look" with Digital Cameras - FM Forums

HI,

After seeing carsten's great picture, I thought I would make a test pano with shallow depth of field.

This picture is made up of 23 images. M8, 75mm @ f.2.8. Original tif is over 600MB.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Regards,

Etienne

Edited by etienne_werner

Nice result, Etienne. Can you tell me a little bit how you did it? Did you use a tripod? Did you make one photo of the person and blended that with the background?

Thanks Maarten,

Yes I used a tripod but I don't have a panorama head. The whole image was shot in one session (23 pictures of 3 rows). The guy in the picture had to remain very still. Because of the low writing speed of the M8 this took longer then I expected. I believe that the Nikon and Canon's with their faster writing speeds and larger buffers would have less problems. On the otherhand the lack of AA filter in the M8 does make for a much more detailed picture in my view.

The larger rez pix is something to be seen to be believed. It has the quality of a MF camera.

I have several software stitching programs. The one I used for this one is Autopano Pro. Normaly I prefer PTGui, but for some reason it could not stitch the background.

For this set, I shot in jpeg only (normaly only raw). I just wanted to do this as a test and was to lazy to do a raw conversion. I'm sure the DR would have been even better had I shot is in raw and used the full color bits available.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Thanks, Etienne. I'm going to give this a try myself soon. I really like te results. I've been creating some panorama's myself lately. Handheld. Quick and dirty. My results are best when using Autopano Pro. I find it also easy to use. Just point at the folder with the photos and have Autopano figure it out. PTGui always makes me do things the wrong way, but I'll keep trying.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very nice Etienne! Interesting use of the 75mm. Next week I will be in Scotland on a one week photocourse with lots of Panoshooting by, mainly, PtGui adepts, but I have loaded Autopano just in case. And it seems to work with Leica M8 DNG out of the box.

Must say, in defense of PtGui, that it has created some great results for me, but indeed, sometimes it does not work.

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

Gorgeous shot, Etienne! Really nice. What is the final resolution? Is that the 75 Lux? I find it a bit simpler to do this type of shot by first covering the subject, and then having her (or him) move out of the way, while I cover the rest. In my first shot, I took two shots to cover Jana.

I have also had some trouble getting pure boke stitched properly, but APP does a decent job. Sometimes I have to help it along by going into the editor, choosing a small corresponding region on each photo, and then adding points, but in the end, I was always able to do it so far.

Hi!

This is a pano with 9 images done last Saturday morning in Paris, with M8 and 35mm/1.4 ASPH.

MH

Marie-Helene, this is a totally astounding pano picture. The light is terrific as well as the composition. Très belle image.

Gorgeous shot, Etienne! Really nice. What is the final resolution? Is that the 75 Lux? I find it a bit simpler to do this type of shot by first covering the subject, and then having her (or him) move out of the way, while I cover the rest. In my first shot, I took two shots to cover Jana.

I have also had some trouble getting pure boke stitched properly, but APP does a decent job. Sometimes I have to help it along by going into the editor, choosing a small corresponding region on each photo, and then adding points, but in the end, I was always able to do it so far.

Hi Carsten,

Thank you. The lens was the 75mm CV. The final resolution is 14288 X 5816 pixels. The Tiff file is a whopping 634 MB.

You are probably right about shooting the subject first and then the background. Will try that next time.

When I first started doing some pano's I had used Panorama factory. I had read somewhere that the engine they used was from PTGui. I then switched to PTGui which I found great. But after reading about APP here I gave that a try and must say it works beautifully.

The next project which I will be doing with a friend/colleague is 360 films. For this we will use a tube with a mirror which gives a 360 degree view with one image. By using a film camera we will get 360 degree moving images. This device is called 360 one VR. Kaidan - Photographic VR - Panoramic Product Line

Kind regards,

Etienne

Thanks all for the nice comments.

On a separate note: I had always found that when I posted pictures on any forum that the quality look bad. I since then discovered that with Firefox (which is my standard browser) when I go to the view menu - Zoom - and there I do a reset, the images are much better. It seems like Firefox is trying to enlarge the images to fit my display. The enlarging of the images makes for very unsharp pictures.

Kind regards,

Etienne

This is a wonderful thread. Very helpful and in many ways inspiring.

Have you worked out a workflow for the stitching. That is...

from raw... do you take the basic files, converted and stitched and then cleaned up... dealing with noise, exposure, curves and so forth on the full stitched image.

or do you do some pp prior to stitching?

When I have done simple panoramas using photoshop... 3 to 5 panels I have stitched first and then cleaned up the entire image.